Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,351

2 members and 3,349 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Enclosure for Boa

"Then set the temp on the t-stat to 88F. Wait an 30 mins to an hour and then check the temp all over the heat tape with a temp gun from the inside of the floor of the cage with no substrate on it. It will vary as heat tape isnt 100% uniform. You want it to average around 86-88F. A spot of 90F or a spot of 84F isnt going to hurt, you just want it mostly around 86-88F."

Sauzo is dead on here. I think some people freak out if there are spots that are higher or lower than "desired." I have flexwatt and a RHP on the hot side of my 6X2X1' Boaphile tank. It ranges from 85-91F if you test every single square inch. However, 90% of the spots I hit are 86-89, with an average of about 88F.

Try to keep all spots above 84F or so and under 91-92F or so, but if you are averaging about 88F you are good.

Also mentioned here is how to test ambient temps.

All my tanks are well enclosed (again Boaphile tanks - similar with AP, for example) and for my snakes, about a foot tall (my BTS has about 18 inches of clearance because he needs basking bulbs for UV). There isn't much variance between ground temps and 6 inches up on the tank AWAY FROM HEAT SOURCES. So, I do get my ambients temps with a heat gun. If I hit the wall in the middle of the tank, or the substrate, there is little to no difference. Again, this in the area (about 3 1/2 to 4FT of tank) in the middle of the tank where there are zero heat sources.

In a glass tank however, I imagine there is more variance as heat escapes. Also, taller tanks, or tanks without RHP's, etc. will all be different. Once you know your setup, and it handles heat and humidity well, I find a heat gun works well.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-03-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Thanks
    Ok I cut out a bunch of cardboard and taped it together I also made some hides for him with cardboard. I couldn't figure out which insulation it was but I did get the tape you would talking about and taped the UTH to the glass at the bottom. For some reason the UTH probe has a 5 degree difference to when I hit with a temp gun (at the glass with no substrate inside the cage). I guess because it goes through the glass? Let me know what you guys think. I just finished so I'll check the temps in an hour. I took the snake out for the time being. Is it ok that the tape smells a little, it won't harm the snake right? Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me lol!

Thanks
    Do you think I should replace the substrate with paper towels? I cleaned out his cage and I think they might have been urine hiding under there or water.. does their urine smell?

Thanks

While it's great that you took the time to make the hides, tape inside the enclosure is a big no no

5. The Following User Says Thank You to c0r3yr0s3 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by svtvenom View Post
    Do you think I should replace the substrate with paper towels? I cleaned out his cage and I think they might have been urine hiding under there or water.. does their urine smell?

1. The tape is holding The UTH to the glass, but is not in the enclosure, correct?

2. I use printless newspaper but it is harder to maintain humidity than some other substrates.

However. It is much easier to keep clean.

There will be a difference between what the probe reeds and what is the temp in the tank.

It should be consistent (hopefully). For example if it reads 93 at the probe and is 88 in the tank, you know you are 5 degrees off and can adjust accordingly.

Urine tends to smell, but probably not terrible with a small BCI. It’s also yellow.

Very important to keep the tank CLEAN!
    Last edited by dakski; 02-04-2018 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks
    There was normal packing tape on the hide boxes but I took the hide boxes out. Also I taped the Accurite to the glass with the foil tape but I took the tape off now and it's sitting on the ground again. There is foil tape around the cardboard I laid on top, I was thinking of covering them in that tape since they are near the CHE. Or should I not? There is no more tape in the enclosure at all.

Maybe I'll try the unprinted newspaper after I get the temps under control later.

Ok that makes sense it would be a few degrees off. I think it's pretty stable now. The temps on the UTH side vary from 84-88. I might set it 1 more degree higher on the thermostat. I'm still watching the cool side one, I switched it to a 100 watt because the 60 watt was almost constantly running at 100%.

I'm guessing it was just water then, I smelled it and it just smelled like mulch.

Do you think his belly is slightly burnt? It still catches on a lot of things and I feel its on his belly and sometimes on his sides.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Ok I cut out a bunch of cardboard and taped it together I also made some hides for him with cardboard. I couldn't figure out which insulation it was but I did get the tape you would talking about and taped the UTH to the glass at the bottom. For some reason the UTH probe has a 5 degree difference to when I hit with a temp gun (at the glass with no substrate inside the cage). I guess because it goes through the glass? Let me know what you guys think. I just finished so I'll check the temps in an hour. I took the snake out for the time being. Is it ok that the tape smells a little, it won't harm the snake right? Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me lol!

You will get a little variance in temps simply because of the glass. Not sure it should be 5 degrees but whatever works. My AP cages have a 5 degree variance but that is going through 1/2 inch CDPVC. Just temp gun the whole floor after a couple hours and see what it is. If it is 86-88F then you are fine with whatever the setting is on the Herpstat.

And no the foil tape should not smell like anything. It's a metal tape. You must be smelling something else.

There was normal packing tape on the hide boxes but I took the hide boxes out. Also I taped the Accurite to the glass with the foil tape but I took the tape off now and it's sitting on the ground again. There is foil tape around the cardboard I laid on top, I was thinking of covering them in that tape since they are near the CHE. Or should I not? There is no more tape in the enclosure at all.

Maybe I'll try the unprinted newspaper after I get the temps under control later.

Ok that makes sense it would be a few degrees off. I think it's pretty stable now. The temps on the UTH side vary from 84-88. I might set it 1 more degree higher on the thermostat. I'm still watching the cool side one, I switched it to a 100 watt because the 60 watt was almost constantly running at 100%.

I'm guessing it was just water then, I smelled it and it just smelled like mulch.

Do you think his belly is slightly burnt? It still catches on a lot of things and I feel its on his belly and sometimes on his sides.
    And no tape at all inside the cage. If you need to stick the temp unit on the wall or something like that, I would use velcro tape of the strongest you can find and make sure the stuff is cut smaller than the unit. You dont want any exposed tape at all. And generally you just dont want tape period inside the cage.

I just leave my Acurites on the floor. The snakes will bulldoze them and have actually pooped on them a few times but whatever. i just wipe them off with F10SC and call it good.

Sounds like you got the UTH set up good.

As for having a burnt belly, got a pic? If it looks normal but just the belly scales kind of catch a little on stuff, sounds like he is dry. If his belly is red, gooey and looks like a burn, then its burnt. You will know if its a burn. Just mist the mulch nice and heavy and keep it damp for a few days. Will probably wreck the cardboard hides but it should soften his belly scales back up. My retic gets very rough scales from his neck down about 1/3 of his body in the winter on aspen but he also pushes a lot when hungry. I sometimes switch him to ReptiChips and just keep it nice and moist for a couple weeks and he's fine.

But looking at the temp unit, i see a 40% humidity with a 70 degree temp. You need to get that humidity up to 65-75% and that temp up to about 77 degrees.

As for covering the top, i would use tin foil or at the least tin foil wrapped cardboard. The exposed cardboard top is just going to suck up moisture. And i would cover more of the top. Personally i would cover the whole top by using a 1 piece piece of cardboard. Just set the lamp cage on the cardboard where you want it and trace it with a pen or pencil. Then cut it out so the wire frame fits. Then wrap the whole top in tin foil and secure it with tape on the top. I used a cover like that for my 20 gallon and 40 gallon quarantine tanks and it worked great.

Also i would probably cut the hides down a little shorter. Snakes like something that they can feel the top easily with their head so they feel like they are in a short, small place that animals cant get to them.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

svtvenom (02-04-2018)

Thanks
    I guess the tape just smells like adhesive lol.

Ok, I'll just leave the Acurite on the ground.

His belly is not red or pink, I tried to take a pic and you can't really tell. I will try to keep the substrate wet for the next week and see if that helps.

Should I put the hides back in there? I took them out because they have clear packing tape on them. I just ordered 2 plastics hides but I don't think they will get here until next week.

The tin foil wrapped cardboard for the top is a great idea!!! I will do that tonight. The 40% was because I had the lid off for so long adjusting stuff earlier. The humidity is staying like 60-75% until I take the cardboard pieces off. The temp on the cool side is about 75 right now.

Thanks
    So I’ve been watching the temps and I think the CHE (100 watt) runs at 100% a lot. It’s usually when I’m not home and I don’t have the space heater on in my bedroom. Should I switch it to the 150 watt? The lowest it gets on the cool side is 71.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

So I’ve been watching the temps and I think the CHE (100 watt) runs at 100% a lot. It’s usually when I’m not home and I don’t have the space heater on in my bedroom. Should I switch it to the 150 watt? The lowest it gets on the cool side is 71.
    If it runs 100% and the cool side is only 71F, then yes. Lol how cold is that room. I find it astonishing that a 100 watt CHE wont heat a 20 gallon tank.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast