Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,215

0 members and 1,215 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

(my first post) ball python temperature setup

Hey guys, I just have a quick question about my this for my ball python setup. On the heat mat on the warm side is measuring just at 92 degrees, which I hear is perfect, my copy side thought is not. It is measuring at about 73 degrees, (it just bumped down to 72.5 then back up to72.7). Is that too cold? I am scared if I get a CHE it is only going to get too hot, and then humidity will be a pain. It is also winter so it will just get warmer, do I ask my parents to bump up the temp just one degree? Or will my ball python be perfectly fine at 73 degrees on the cold side?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    73 is definitely too cold. You don't want to go below 75 but 80 is ideal for cool ambient. Definitely get a Che, which won't be too hot if you have it regulated by a thermostat.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks

Re: (my first post) ball python temperature setup

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    73 is definitely too cold. You don't want to go below 75 but 80 is ideal for cool ambient. Definitely get a Che, which won't be too hot if you have it regulated by a thermostat.
    OK! Thank you. Could I just use a dimmer? I bought at Lowe's, and I have heard other people saying that they are good because you don't need to spend that much on ine of those fancy thermostats.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mind_boy For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-28-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mind_boy View Post
    OK! Thank you. Could I just use a dimmer? I bought at Lowe's, and I have heard other people saying that they are good because you don't need to spend that much on ine of those fancy thermostats.
    You could as a dimmer as a temporary solution but honestly if you are worried about it getting too hot, you are better off with the precision and reliability of a thermostat. You just get more control and less potential temp fluctuations.

There are affordable thermostat options if budget is tight atm, Jumpstart is a decent budget friendly one to start off with

https://www.amazon.com/MTPRTC-Contro...art+thermostat

In a long run if you can, I would say it's definitely worth considering saving for a high quality thermostat such as Herpstats, which recently made a more affordable model
    https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index...dfhnkhfod259n5

But Herpstat 1/Herpstat2 are definitely worth every penny if you ever choose to save for them Best purchase I've ever made
    Last edited by MissterDog; 01-28-2018 at 04:43 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Bergerking (01-28-2018)

Thanks

(my first post) ball python temperature setup

I’ll tell you I bought the jumpstart thermostat. Was at least 15-20 degrees off. I ordered the herpstat 2 within a few days and returned the jumpstart. Herpstat arrived in 2 days. Yes a lot of money but worth the peace of mind esp. with the safety features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bergerking; 01-28-2018 at 04:40 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bergerking For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-28-2018),Godzilla78 (01-28-2018),MissterDog (01-28-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mind_boy View Post
    What size enclosure LxDxH? Depending on your home temps you can go by the Wattage CHE you need for now.
    As others have said you cant beat a Herpstat2. Then you can control both heating units, set it & forget it. A Dimmer will change depending on temps in your house. If the house is 70 and your Heat Mat or CHE is running at 90 it can change in a flash if its a nice day and your house gets up to 76... Suddenly that 90 can become 98.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (01-28-2018)

Thanks

OK, thanks for all the info I will definitely look into a thermostat, but the temp in our house almost never changes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    What size enclosure LxDxH? Depending on your home temps you can go by the Wattage CHE you need for now.
    As others have said you cant beat a Herpstat2. Then you can control both heating units, set it & forget it. A Dimmer will change depending on temps in your house. If the house is 70 and your Heat Mat or CHE is running at 90 it can change in a flash if its a nice day and your house gets up to 76... Suddenly that 90 can become 98.
    Oh and my enclose is a 20L, I am looking at a male, so they won't get an large.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bergerking View Post
    I’ll tell you I bought the jumpstart thermostat. Was at least 15-20 degrees off. I ordered the herpstat 2 within a few days and returned the jumpstart. Herpstat arrived in 2 days. Yes a lot of money but worth the peace of mind esp. with the safety features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar experience, just a little different problem. I had a $50 digital "on/off" thermostat, and though these are the most common type of thermostats, I don't recommend them. It was very accurate, that was not the problem, the problem was it would turn 'on' at the low temp, and then heat up a degree or 2, and then turn "off" and the heat would continue to come off the heat tape after it turned off, so the temps were vascillating between 88-93! Not very tight range at all! I finally sold the thermostat off and got a Herpstat. The Herpstat uses "dimming" electricity, which controls the amount of wattage sent to the heating source to provide a CONSTANT temperature. Now with the Herpstat, the hotspot heat tape stays EXACTLY where I set it, instead of vascillating in a wide range.

Thanks

I had the exact same problem with my snap lid tub. I got a CHE a foot above the middle of the tub, with a thermostat of course, and temps on all sides are perfect now. Hot side is 90-93, middle is around 80-86, and the coolest spot sits around 76-79. Now if you got a glass tank the CHE might drop the humidity so I highly suggest getting a tub or pvc plastic cage they trap the humidity inside. Also GET A THERMOSTAT not a dimmer. A dimmer on the lower settings can still build heat and overheat. The "Jump Start" digital thermostat is a great choice an only 30 bucks. Best of luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast