Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,223

2 members and 3,221 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Flagyl, Panacur or Ivermectin?

Quote Originally Posted by Azure
    i guess i'm used to a different climate of people. i also show dogs, i've owned and bred some of the top dogs in the world. breeders are very generous with information they've accumulated with their experiences. on my breeder forums we openly discuss treatments we've used so that way it helps us know what works and doesn't work.

my uro has tapeworms. i know because segments are in his stool. tapeworms are the only worm that doesn't lay eggs but instead segments are excreted. my concern is because obviously the ivermectin inject didn't work. it is with the health of my uro in consideration that i write.
    Actually Azure, everyone here is extremely helpful. They share what knowledge they do know and always offer suggestions when they feel it will help the animal in question. However, you neither told us all your observations, (how you determined it was tape worms) or that you had access to meds to help it. I know that you are concerned, but to take shots at the very people that may help you is just a bad idea in general.

And if your friend is a vet, why isn't he helping you?
    Dawn
    1.0 Child - Cody
    1.0 BP - DareDevil (DD)
    1.1 Dogs - Buddy & Musket
    2.1 Cats - Jynx, Gus & Outdoor Cat
    1.0 Rabbit
    1.0 Hermit Crabs - Bruce Wing
    0.0.1 Skunk under porch - Pepe
    1 Sister, 1 Bro-in-law - Marianne, Donnie
    2 Nephews, 1 Niece - Jon, Gabe, Kyliegh

Thanks

*whisper* Ivomec doesn't kill tapes very well.... You would think the vet would know this...

Go to the vet(another one, as it is obvious that your current vet is off his rocker) and get some Droncit. I had a rat that had tapes when I bought her(along with coccidia), I diagnosed it myself, went to the vet and got 1/4 of a feline Droncit tablet, crushed it up, put it in water(and into a syringe) and gave her a small amount(0.1cc?) for a total of 7 days.

Now this was rodent tapes, and not reptile tapes, but they can't be THAT different. Droncit will kill any tapes in that Uro's system in a week.

I would take the Uro to the vet with you, have the vet get a weight, and adjust the dosage as such. Give it orally once or twice a day for 7-10 days, and that should clear it up. Tapeworms aren't too hard to clear out. At least the poor lizard doesn't have crypto or anything icky like that.

Good luck with him and another vet
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

i guess i'm used to a different climate of people....

...i was just curious if anybody had a protocol that worked for their lizards, apparently not.
    So what 'climate of people' are we? If you would have given the explanation of tapeworms and your background in the first post, everyone could have offered a bit more help. The majority keepers on this site do not give out bad advice....and advice given without appropriate background information is bad advice.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

i guess i'm used to a different climate of people. i also show dogs, i've owned and bred some of the top dogs in the world. breeders are very generous with information they've accumulated with their experiences. on my breeder forums we openly discuss treatments we've used so that way it helps us know what works and doesn't work.

my uro has tapeworms. i know because segments are in his stool. tapeworms are the only worm that doesn't lay eggs but instead segments are excreted. my concern is because obviously the ivermectin inject didn't work. it is with the health of my uro in consideration that i write.

i also have full access to whatever meds i need, my vet is one of my best friends and he knows how relevant trials and tribulations of those with experience are. again i am no newbie as i have my masters in biochemistry and attended vet school plus worked as a tech while doing my undergrad.
    i appreciate the vet links unfortunately none are in my area.
    i was just curious if anybody had a protocol that worked for their lizards, apparently not.
    vets are not the be all and end all, especially when it comes to herps. they spend a fraction of their education on herps.
    Well, if you would have included all that information in your original post my initial response might have been different. Instead, you gave a very terse and extremely broad over view of the problem and were not forth coming in any way about your knowledge base, access to medications, or experience. For all I knew you could have been some 15 year old that was stealing meds from a friend’s house.

I don't know how you do it on the dog breeder forums, but personally I like to be responsible when discussing or suggesting regimens of medication that could possibly kill an animal.

Maybe if you had mentioned how you walk on water in the first place, we would not be here right now. Quite frankly, after reading your most impressive resume, it sounds like you’ve got it all covered. Good luck with that!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Great responce Becky....see how much details help in situations like this
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

thought i had explained myself, sorry about that. thanks for the ivermec advice. drontal, hmmm definitely what we use on dogs and cats for tape.
    i know my vet is no reptile expert, nor am I but together we are trying to learn. that's why i figured i would turn to the true experts, herp owners.
    in my reptile book from vet school is says to use ivermectin. panacur is somewhat outdated for use in dogs and cats, we use droncit tabs- much more effective. the point being was that before i ordered panacur- which is expensive even at cost i thought i would consult you all. as well as before i try every drug out there on the market, making my uro's life hell i wanted to know some opinions.
    thanks for the advice guys- sorry if i sounded cranky, i'm just upset because i love this little guy so much and want to do the best possible.
    1 ball python, PJ
    1 mali uromastyx, Georgie
    2 african water frogs, kermit and katie
    1 satanic kitty, Sage
    2 golden retrievers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    Well, if you would have included all that information in your original post my initial response might have been different. Instead, you gave a very terse and extremely broad over view of the problem and were not forth coming in any way about your knowledge base, access to medications, or experience. For all I knew you could have been some 15 year old that was stealing meds from a friend’s house.

I don't know how you do it on the dog breeder forums, but personally I like to be responsible when discussing or suggesting regimens of medication that could possibly kill an animal.

Maybe if you had mentioned how you walk on water in the first place, we would not be here right now. Quite frankly, after reading your most impressive resume, it sounds like you’ve got it all covered. Good luck with that!

-adam
    Why does it seem that all the threads I post to go horribly wrong in one way or another? Arguments, snack cakes and tapeworms. Wait, that sounds like a typical Friday night at my place!

Thanks

Flagyl is metronidazole and works best on anerobic infections and protozoans.

Panacur is febendazole which should do will for round worms.

Isn't ivermectin for ticks? It won't work on tape worms though.

Thanks

I usually stay clear of posts asking about dosing/meds. Although we may have the knowledge and skill to dose our animals with the right meds, we cannot tell you how to dose yours or with what. I mean if we mess up and kill our own we have no one to blame but ourselves. I dose my own most of the time, however I talk with my vet first or at least a friend that is in college for this stuff. I understand wanting to know and trying to reach out for some help on the forums, but we cannot just hand out medical advice here.

I would feel bad if someone saw this post and was confused about the species you have and thought it was a larger species and told you to hit it up with a large amount of a strong drug, that would be very bad.

Though most meds are somewhat safe, Ivermec is deadly if misused. Even moreso in Chelonia species.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12