Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,373

0 members and 2,373 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Hamster ball for mice?

I have just bought the most active mouse I have ever seen for my BP. My girl and I are staring at this mouse and it hasn't stopped running and jumping for 5 hours. I duct taped the holding cell to support it on the sides and laid it on the side. Now the mouse is running for an hour. After seeing this we are debating/discussing getting a mouse version of hamster ball for future mice. Our biggest worry is feeding our ball a mouse that is a gladiator. But since I always have him for approx~ 5 hours prior to feeding, I feel this is a good idea. In the pic you can see him running like a random hamster ball. My ideal end goal is to make the mouse so tired it limits opportunities to damage to the BP.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Hamster ball for mice?

When I used to feed live and I had fighters, I had to stun them by hitting them against the edge of a desk and paralyzing them. It’s not fun or easy really so I recommend switching to frozen. It’s safer, cheaper, and there’s really no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Normal BP "Calliope"
    0.1 Hypo Leopard Gecko “El”
    1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko “Axle”
    0.0.1 Poecilotheria Regalis
    0.0.1 Poecilotheri Subfusca
    1.0 Siamese mix cat “Kurt”
    1.0 DLH Cat “Vodka”
    0.0.1 Suriname Red Tail Boa

"I’m just more comfortable with fauna and flora than with other humans."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedFox View Post
    When I used to feed live and I had fighters, I had to stun them by hitting them against the edge of a desk and paralyzing them. It’s not fun or easy really so I recommend switching to frozen. It’s safer, cheaper, and there’s really no difference.

Well she's been on frozen for last 8 weeks as our live mice breeder was under reconstruction during this time. I think they reopened 12/1 (first live tonight 1/24) and its been closed since Halloween. Hace been thru a box of frozen. My BP has been anti frozen and it's been a struggle since, but thought I'd treat her till this one mouse came home. Lol

Last edited by Suitestuff; 01-25-2018 at 03:38 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Suitestuff View Post
    Well she's been on frozen for last 8 weeks as our live mice breeder was under reconstruction during this time. I think they reopened 12/1 (first live tonight 1/24) and its been closed since Halloween. Hace been thru a box of frozen. My BP has been anti frozen and it's been a struggle since, but thought I'd treat her till this one mouse came home. Lol

Yeah sometimes it can be a hassle to get them to switch over to frozen, just takes time and patience. While switching Calliope over, I had to leave the mice in there over night a few times before he started taking them from my tongs.

1.0 Normal BP "Calliope"
    0.1 Hypo Leopard Gecko “El”
    1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko “Axle”
    0.0.1 Poecilotheria Regalis
    0.0.1 Poecilotheri Subfusca
    1.0 Siamese mix cat “Kurt”
    1.0 DLH Cat “Vodka”
    0.0.1 Suriname Red Tail Boa

"I’m just more comfortable with fauna and flora than with other humans."

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

If the snake is already accepting F/T prey why switch back to live?
    The vast majority prefer feeding F/T, primarily for safety reasons, but also it's better financially and easier to store

I'm just curious why you would like to go back to feeding live?
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 01-25-2018 at 12:23 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (01-26-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have just bought the most active mouse I have ever seen for my BP. My girl and I are staring at this mouse and it hasn't stopped running and jumping for 5 hours. I duct taped the holding cell to support it on the sides and laid it on the side. Now the mouse is running for an hour. After seeing this we are debating/discussing getting a mouse version of hamster ball for future mice. Our biggest worry is feeding our ball a mouse that is a gladiator. But since I always have him for approx~ 5 hours prior to feeding, I feel this is a good idea. In the pic you can see him running like a random hamster ball. My ideal end goal is to make the mouse so tired it limits opportunities to damage to the BP.

What a good idea when you hae a feeder that you buy and have it for 5 hours is actually the total opposite you want to feed it, give it water and let it relax, that's how you prevent injury and feed live, not by getting a rodent all wind up with exercise which raises adrenaline.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (01-26-2018)

Thanks

Hey sorry, been busy at work all day. My BP doesn't accept F/T mice. I used to feed her F/T prior to bed, and it's always there by morning. I would take it out, toss it. I've been thru so many F/T mice this way for weeks. She wouldn't eat them. She would come out and observe them, investigate them. She went 3 weeks of me doing this, till I went to Hawaii for 2 weeks, not wanting her to be hungry I left one in there. She ate it by the time I came back. Which doesn't sound like the right way for me to do.

Anyways always bought live from there on out till my shop went under reconstruction. Forced to use F/T again. This time I wouldn't pull it in the AM. But when I got home from work, my BP would have eaten it. I still don't like this, even after thawing, it sits in the cage all night going to next day mid afternoon to eat. Live mice she swallows up immediately.

I understand the last posters concern about causing more damage to the snake by getting it hyped. I'm not a mouse savy person. I don't want to sound ignorant, I don't understand how expelling energy causes them to be more hype up; I always assumed food and water is the definition of gaining energy to expel. That assumption is based on my experience in sports and military as a human. So still not mouse savy, just threw the idea out for ideas and opinions. Some responses were sarcastic with little punctuation and no help or ideas.

Someone responded with F/T for financial reasons. I get 4 F/T for $11 where live mice is $1.50 each for me.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A feeder that is in your car fore 5 hours with no food or water prior to being fed and not knowing if it was well fed or hydrated prior to that is the best recipe for a feeder to turn on your snake and have the predator becoming prey.

You want a well hydrated well fed and calm feeder prior to feeding.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-26-2018),Craiga 01453 (01-27-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    A feeder that is in your car fore 5 hours with no food or water prior to being fed and not knowing if it was well fed or hydrated prior to that is the best recipe for a feeder to turn on your snake and have the predator becoming prey.

You want a well hydrated well fed and calm feeder prior to feeding.
    Thanks Deborah . Food Coma to the mouse sounds the way to go. I usually did that till the mouse I got last night seemed to be running on crack.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedFox View Post
    i don't recommend doing that at all. first it's cruel and then it can actually make the wounded prey more defensive. like Deb mentioned above, taking care of the prey until it becomes food is the best way to safely feed live.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-27-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast