Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,280

5 members and 3,275 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
    Thanks

Substrate question

Hey, nice n simple here... What do y'all think about Coco soft brand coconut husk bedding? It's 100% organic. It says on the bag that is for all reptiles.. I got the bag given to me and wanna find out if anyone likes it or whatevz thank u!

Thanks

Re: Substrate question

I've never heard of that brand, but I use Eco Earth coconut fiber and it works well for me. Just don't put it in soaking wet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    The bet part about Reptile Prime is it is sold loose and dry. The worst part is you need to order it form their site. Hands down Reptile Prime is the best bedding I have ever used. Granted I use puppy pads for my GTP but that's another story

As far as what you are talking about, I assume you mean Carib sea coco soft bedding? Should not be a problem. Only thing is it can be a bit dusty but it should not harm your snake.

This is what you mean right?

1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    That's exactly what I mean, thank you guys!!

Thanks
    Wait though, how is it with being wet? I saw you said not to put it in soaking wet but does it hold moisture better than, let's say, cypress mulch? Cypress is soooo dry esp this time of year and I really need some good moisture holding sub. Those are the only 2 subs in my possession but here soon i can get something better for that if there is something great for keeping the humidity easier to hold onto

Thanks

It does hold humidity better than Cypress, but putting it in wet will probably cause mold to form. I can't imagine soaking wet substrate being good for their skin either.

I'm assuming you're using a glass tank with a mesh lid, have you tried covering half the lid with tin foil? Maybe a bowl or two of moss would help, even a bigger water bowl.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Never used the coco. I use reptile prime.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hmba2211 View Post
    Hey, nice n simple here... What do y'all think about Coco soft brand coconut husk bedding? It's 100% organic. It says on the bag that is for all reptiles.. I got the bag given to me and wanna find out if anyone likes it or whatevz thank u!
    I also use the reptile prime. Reptile prime is coconut fiber bedding too, so it might be a very very similar product.

I actually use reptile prime for both my pythons and my colubrids. I put it in dry for the colubrids, and I moisten it for the balls. It hold the humidity super well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Nice, thank you all for sure! I know what I'll be doing today lol.. yes her tank is glass w mesh top. I keep a wash rag on top and put water on it throughout the day, it helps hold the humidity for a longer time. Y'all rock!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    I recently bought both coco soft, and I bought eco-earth. Both are made of coconut shells, but the coco soft is like mulch, while the eco earth is ground up. They are both great but I prefer the earthy ground up stuff, similar to reptile prime.

Cypress mulch is very moist and holds moisture well. If you have very dry cypress mulch, then your ambient air is extremely dry due to the winter/heating season. I recommend a humidifier run 24/7 near the enclosure, and misting of the substrate. It doesn't matter what substrate you use if the air is arid, it will dry it out quickly due to evaporation.