Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,158

1 members and 2,157 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question UTH vs. Heat Bulb

We just bought a new enclosure for our snake Freddi. He is going from a 20 Gallon enclosure to a 55 Gallon enclosure. The measurements of this new enclosure are 21 inches tall 48 inches long and 12.5 inches thick. I am trying to figure out the approporaite heating set up to keep my Freddi happy and healthy. I have asked a couple different places including Google and am getting answers all over the place. I know not everyone here is a fan of using glass aquariums as enclosures but I live in central Florida and dont seem to have as much of an issue with humidity and heat retention as some other members do in other areas of the country and world. Any insight/advice/opinions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Not entirely sure what you are asking but if it is about a heat bulb versus under tank heater those are two entirely different heat sources. The UTH is valuable in providing a belly heat source for a ball python to thermo regulate with. It's far more important than a heat lamp for providing necessary heat. Heating from a light source like a heat lamp is a bad idea for a ball python as if it is a source of heat, it needs to be on 24/7 which can interfere with circadian rhythms and should be replaced by either a ceramic heat emitter or radiant heat panel. If however you keep your house in central Florida above 75 degrees where the cage will be, than overhead heating might not even be necessary.

Ambient heat control from ceramic or heat lamps are only needed if you can not keep the cool side and ambient temps where the snake needs them which is at or above 75 degrees for ball pythons. I would make sure to get a good set of digital thermometer and hygrometers and an infrared temp gun so you can keep tabs on temps. Also make sure hte under tank heater is regulated with a thermostat.

Temp ranges you need to shoot for is 88-92 under the hot side measured from the inside bottom of the glass, ambient of 80-82 but at minimum above 75 degrees and cool side above 75 degrees and preferably in the upper 70s to lower 80s.

Lastly, make sure the cat is not fed in front of the snake cage ever so it does not equate the snake cage as an acceptable place to be. Cats should never be allowed near snakes for obvious reasons.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (01-23-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Just a thought, but that size enclosure might be better used turned on it's side. BPs don't require a lot of height, and 12 1/2 inches doesn't offer a lot of floor space, which isn't very much for an adult BP. I have a few 55 gallon tanks, so I know exactly which ones you mean. Turning it on it's side would give you 21" of floor space. With terrestrial species like BPs, the footprint is more important than height. That's why I greatly prefer 40 gallon breeder tanks as opposed to 55 gallon tanks for snakes.

The short, simple answer for UTH vs heat bulb is that the UTH isn't meant for ambient temps. It is there solely to provide belly heat and a hot spot to aid in digestion.
    So, if your household ambient temps don't remain in the high 70s or preferably low 80s you will need an additional heat source.

My two cents: if it's not too late, swap the enclosure for a 40 breeder. Otherwise, I think turning it on it's side and using a RHP (radiant heat panel) is your best bet.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 01-23-2018 at 04:46 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-24-2018)

Thanks

Re: UTH vs. Heat Bulb

Unfortunately turning the enclosure on its side is not an option in my house. But the information presented here has helped me decide how to heat the enclosure.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PandaBurrr View Post
    Unfortunately turning the enclosure on its side is not an option in my house. But the information presented here has helped me decide how to heat the enclosure.
    Your not going to get a CHE or Heat Lamp to radiate heat from 21" above to get the cool side to 80 most likely. Ive used a CHE from 15" H (40 gal breeder) but even then it was a 100 watt CHE on full power and only got it to 80 in a 68 degree room. I think you are going to have to go with a UTH on both sides and id get the XL if if your getting the ZooMed. That is longer and will cover more ground. You can run the cool side UTH at 80 and the Hot Side UTH at 90.
    This would not be the way i would do it at all Im going by what you have and a 55 gallon tank might be the worst size tank for a Ball Python considering the Hight and the choices to heat it.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Congratulations, it’s a very nice looking tank. Yes it might be an extra effort to provide proper heat and humidity, but if you were willing and truly wanted to go that route I’m sure you will be able to get it “tuned in”. Again congrats and good luck. I have a big humidifier, and I control the thermostat. And you better believe that helps a lot when you have tanks. If you take that strategy, a good uth on a thermostat and a red bulb with a rheostat. You should be able to do it. I hope that helps. I’ve done tanks and dedicated snake enclosures. And yes the latter is much easier, but I personally like tanks. Looks like you do too, lol.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

PandaBurrr (01-24-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    Congratulations, it’s a very nice looking tank. Yes it might be an extra effort to provide proper heat and humidity, but if you were willing and truly wanted to go that route I’m sure you will be able to get it “tuned in”. Again congrats and good luck. I have a big humidifier, and I control the thermostat. And you better believe that helps a lot when you have tanks. If you take that strategy, a good uth on a thermostat and a red bulb with a rheostat. You should be able to do it. I hope that helps. I’ve done tanks and dedicated snake enclosures. And yes the latter is much easier, but I personally like tanks. Looks like you do too, lol.

Thank you so much! I am expecting some extra effort needed to get the temperature and humidity "tuned in". I am doing this in little steps for the set-up as Freddi is still ok in his 20 Gallon enclosure. So I have time to be able to get everything set-up and "wired-up" correctly. I am not taking this lightly. What kind of rheostat do you use? I was looking into this for a red bulb as I know I will need a 100watt bulb to help with the ambient temperature. Other thing I am trying to figure out is if the overhead light that came with it can withstand a red heat long-bulb.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    For light fixtures Leviton makes a nice one. I believe a lot of people on here have used. It’s Model # R15-TBL03-10E around 12 dollars at Home Depot. It’s basically just a slider for adjusting output.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Being in FL, you may be able to get away with heating from above, I'm not sure, but i know for a fact it would be near impossible to maintain proper temps and humidity in that tank in MA.

I would look into a RHP if you're definitely using that enclosure, but I still think that 12" is way too small a floor space for an adult BP.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to help you and your snake.

Thanks

I will post progression pictures on this feed to show everyone how this set up is going to work out. Thank you for all the advice. I truly appreciate it from everyone.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PandaBurrr For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-24-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast