Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,409

2 members and 3,407 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Heat tape size

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Heat tape size

Hi!
    I have no idea which size heat tape to get for 34qt sterlite tub. It is not a rack system but for one tub. It measures about 26 inch long and 16 inch wide. I am deciding between 11 or 6 heat tape. 11inch heat tape seems to cover about 40% of the tub which seems too much. But 6 inch covers 25% which seems good but I feel like I would need some extra heat help during winter so I was leaning toward 11inch. Any advice or suggestion?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Heat tape size

I was also thinking that since I am building single level rack/storage for a tub, I could maybe put 4inch back tape and 6 inch belly heat? Does that seem like good idea?

Thanks
    The general rule of thumb is the heat tape should cover about 30% of the tub, but that can't always be exact. I use 6" in my 28 qt. rack and 12" in my 41 qt. rack. For a 34 qt. rack, I would probably go with 6" just to make sure there is enough gradient in the tub. What are you putting in the tub? How large is it? If it is an adult Ball Python, I would get a 41 qt. tub and use 12"...

By the way, THG is my personal preference for heat tape, because it's much easier to wire up and it's stronger than Flexwatt. With Flexwatt you have to solder the wires on to it and with THG you don't...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Heat tape size

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    The general rule of thumb is the heat tape should cover about 30% of the tub, but that can't always be exact. I use 6" in my 28 qt. rack and 12" in my 41 qt. rack. For a 34 qt. rack, I would probably go with 6" just to make sure there is enough gradient in the tub. What are you putting in the tub? How large is it? If it is an adult Ball Python, I would get a 41 qt. tub and use 12"...

By the way, THG is my personal preference for heat tape, because it's much easier to wire up and it's stronger than Flexwatt. With Flexwatt you have to solder the wires on to it and with THG you don't...
    I am buying from reptile basics so I am guessing it is THG? Haha
    I already bougt 34 qt tub and I like the size of it. I am going to be placing adult male later in the future, I will be getting hatchling but I am just preparing for the future haha