Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,423

2 members and 3,421 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User ontariosnakelover's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Humidity issues and how you deal with it?

I need some advice for my humidity for my boa and ball python. They both have 50 watt infrared heat lamps and the hot spots are at 90 and cool end around 80 F. My humidity gauges always indicate around 20 percent humidity which is why I use spray bottles daily to bring it up but it dries up really quick. They have screen tops so sometimes I try putting something over part of the top to keep moisture in but it doesn't really work like that. How do you guys keep your humidity ideal without having to be like me and constantly watch and adjust?

Thanks

Re: Humidity issues and how you deal with it?

What substrate are you using? You could always try using something that holds humidity better like coconut fiber. I cover the lids of my tanks with foil and that works well for me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

ontariosnakelover (01-21-2018)

Thanks

I used some foil insulation from lows and glued it to the inside of my screen top. I keep a wet washcloth on top of one hide. I use a large water bowl and have another bowl with wet paper towel in it. I also mist daily PA winters are brutal for humidity.
    Last edited by DandD; 01-21-2018 at 12:59 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DandD For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Are you using a tank with a screen lid? You want to cover that somehow if you are. Use substrates that hold moisture well like cypress and coconut husk. The bulbs aren't helping you much, and if the problem persists, you'll need to change to a heat pad controlled by a Uth. Lastly, make sure you aren't using crappy humidity guages.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tegu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    plastic rack tubs with ventilation holes, coconut eco-earth kept very slightly damp with a spray bottle. Whole house 6 gallon humidifier. Humidity stays between 60-90%, with hardly any effort at all, in the tubs. Only have to fill the humidifier very other day, and spray the coco substrate a couple times a week, max.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    This winter sucks as far as humidity control goes for quite a few of us, as this winter has been harsh.

I added a second water dish to each of my enclosures which helps a bit. I also built what is essentially a 3 sided box around each of my enclosures out of 1/2" foam board insulation as well cut one to fit the screen tops, leaving enough room for the heat lamp and a little air flow.

I also added sphangnum moss to each enclosure.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-21-2018),ontariosnakelover (01-21-2018)

Thanks

We have an Exo-Terra terrarium with the screen top that is sectioned into four. We picked up inexpensive cutting mats at our local craft store and cut them the exact size of the screen sections. We covered three of the four. We have a CHE on the fourth section. This slowed down evaporation quite a bit.

We also have a piece of drift with a large cavity that we pack with sphagnum moss which also helps.

Together that keeps our humidity around 30-40% now that winter is here.

The rest comes from daily misting.

One thing that we want to try is moss balls: https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Aquar.../dp/B071NGJW92

Our plan is to fill them with sphagnum moss, soak them, and place in the terrarium (rinse and repeat daily). Through trial and error we'll hopefully figure out how many we need to keep our humidity in the sweet spot without misting.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to larryd23 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Is your humidity gauge near the screen at the top of your enclosure? Try placing it nearer the ground level where the snake usually is the humidity might be higher there...

place your snakes water dish under the heat lamps this can release more moisture into the enclosure..

if you cant bring up the humidity of the entire enclosure have a humid hide for your snake...mist the humid hide down really good and when your snake wants a little extra skin moisture it can just go to that hide...My ball python has 3 hides, warm, cool and humid and he loves hanging out in that moist hide when i place him in his tank he most often heads straight to that one!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dj Ozone For This Useful Post:

Registered User ontariosnakelover's Avatar
    Thanks

humidity

I'm using Aspen bedding for now. My Boa is gonna move into a new home I've been building to accommodate her future size. But yeah they have screen tops which is why I try covering them and misting them and extra water inside. My humidity gauges and temp gauges are always on the floor. I also have UTH and heat tapes for new builds I'm making but I personally like the infrared bulbs in their current set ups. I wanna figure it out as the next month is when both of them will get a nice condo upgrade. I was thinking coconut husk just because our canadian winter this year is pretty harsh for humidity.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I’m in Chicago, a humidifier solves lots of problems. I consider having one to be essential. I can’t imagine what it would be like humidity wise without it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast