Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,436

1 members and 3,435 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is it time for a visit to the vet?

Hello all,

I posted about a month ago about my new 5 month old dumeril's boa not eating. Unfortunately I still have been unsuccessful, and it has now been about 7 weeks since she has had a meal. I feel like I have tried everything, from brained thawed small mice, to live mice, to even a live fuzzy rat. She did end up killing one of the small mice, but then she left it. She had a beautiful one piece shed about a week ago so I thought she would be nice and hungry but still nothing. She has also not left poop or urate. The breeder told me to just double check her set-up but I feel like everything is perfect. I'm worried that she's starting to lose weight, she seems too young to not be eating for 7 weeks. Should I take her to the vet? I'm afraid a force feed is next, and I really don't want to do that.

Any advice?

Her set-up:
    20 gallon tank
    2 hides and a towel covering up half of the cage
    Deep aspen bedding to bury in
    Hot side about 85 degrees, cool side about 72
    Humidity 55-60%

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    How are you measuring temps?

Are the hides nice and tight on the snake? If not, putting dry moss can take away the extra room and make it feel more secure.

Covering three tank sides with paper for added security may help. Also adding plants, rocks, driftwood, etc can help.
    Last edited by KMG; 01-20-2018 at 09:38 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    something about your husbandry is off. I doubt it is a disease, so a vet visit wouldn't help. The snake could be stressed out. Need to know more details, and see a photo of how you are keeping the boa.

Thanks

Re: Is it time for a visit to the vet?

I can't figure out how to edit my post for some reason. But here is some more info:
    -I measure temps with a heat gun, but I also have a probe lying on her wood hide under her heat lamp with a dimmer so that I can regulate the temperature of the hot spot quickly. I use a 50watt red bulb (usually half dimmed) and I also have a small UTH under the hide, but it is covered with a lot of aspen so I don't think it does much to heat the cage.
    -Since the breeder told me he found that dumeril's needed extra humidity I have a cool humidifier attached to a tube that lets out a tiny amount of fog in her cage. I couldn't keep her humidity up the first few weeks I got her until I made this.
    -Most of the cage is aspen, but her cool side has some eco earth substrate to help humidity.
    -2 hides, one on hot and one on cool. The small hide is plastic on the cool side and pretty tight when she is in there, and I fill the wood hide with a lot of aspen so I think she feels secure in these.
    -A plastic leaf thing and a rock are on the cool side.

Let me know if you need more info, and please let me know if there is anything I can change to help her stress. I feel like I do endless reading on how to keep them, but something must be wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    1st the uth needs to be unplugged until you get a thermostat.

Once you have a tstat you should only have a 1/4 inch of substrate over the uth at most.

2nd half logs are not very good as they have two openings. What I would do is press it against the glass and place thick paper on the outside to cover the opening. Thick paper on three sides will also retain some heat. I would also place moss or substrate around the opening to make the opening smaller.

3rd the temp on top of the log is going to be nowhere close to the temp on the inside. You should monitor the temps inside the hide.
    Last edited by KMG; 01-20-2018 at 11:11 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Laura23 (01-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Dumerils dont need tons of humidity or heat. I keep my girl with a 86F hot spot with flexwatt and ambient temps of around 77-79F. I will usually spike her cage with misting which she does like once a week or so but the humidity usually sits around 50-60%. She does like to sometimes soak half in her water bowl. Her substrate is aspen only. And she eats like a freakin horse. She was a fat baby.

Your setup seems ok. Baby dumerils are known to be picky eaters which is why you want one that has been eating good. What was the breeder feeding it? How often?

How was the breeders set up? Best to try and replicate everything until you get her eating well, then you can slowly switch out stuff.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

DLena (01-20-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Is it time for a visit to the vet?

Quote Originally Posted by Laura23 View Post
    I can't figure out how to edit my post for some reason. But here is some more info:
    -I measure temps with a heat gun, but I also have a probe lying on her wood hide under her heat lamp with a dimmer so that I can regulate the temperature of the hot spot quickly. I use a 50watt red bulb (usually half dimmed) and I also have a small UTH under the hide, but it is covered with a lot of aspen so I don't think it does much to heat the cage.
    -Since the breeder told me he found that dumeril's needed extra humidity I have a cool humidifier attached to a tube that lets out a tiny amount of fog in her cage. I couldn't keep her humidity up the first few weeks I got her until I made this.
    -Most of the cage is aspen, but her cool side has some eco earth substrate to help humidity.
    -2 hides, one on hot and one on cool. The small hide is plastic on the cool side and pretty tight when she is in there, and I fill the wood hide with a lot of aspen so I think she feels secure in these.
    -A plastic leaf thing and a rock are on the cool side.

Let me know if you need more info, and please let me know if there is anything I can change to help her stress. I feel like I do endless reading on how to keep them, but something must be wrong.

For a Dumeril that setup sound ok. My friend has 2 and gets his Rats from me and he had to bring them back Dec and last week so they have been off feed since mid NOV. His are picky too, if the rat runs into one of his Dumerils then he can forget feeding. They spook easy. It seems like anything can effect them. They are healthy though and he takes 1 rat from me every 2 weeks for each of them during summer. I wouldn't worry, and get a $12 digital gram scale at Walmart. I put a tote on top of it, zero it out and put the snake in to record weight every month.
    PS: the pic of him looks ok.. Not sickly or to skinny.
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 01-20-2018 at 11:54 PM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    About twenty years ago I had a baby Dumerils that I had to force feed for a bit till he got going on his own. It’s not fun to do, but unfortunately it comes with the territory sometimes. Good luck.

Banned
    Thanks

My 16 months old male Dumerils boa did not eat for over 2 months now and I think because they might stop eating during the cold winter months. Wait until it gets warmer and they will eat

Thanks

Great news! She finally took a live small mouse. I think what finally did it was leaving the mouse in there for over an hour. She eventually got interested and struck! Thanks everyone for your help!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura23 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-22-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast