Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,087

1 members and 3,086 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,111
Threads: 248,550
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GhostyBoy29
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Treating My First Respiratory Infection

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Here is the MSDS sheet for it. Scroll down to the toxicity section and you will see it is not toxic in diluted form.
    http://www.f10products.co.uk/admin_u...20Oct%2016.pdf

I use the stuff to clean water bowls etc and never had a problem. I have heard people use it in nebulizers for very early cases of RI but for an advanced case, i would take the animal to the vet.

As for a nebulizer, skip the Zoo Med fogger thing. just go buy a nebulizer from Walmart or Rite Aid or Walgreens etc. Probably be cheaper and work the same.

But like i said, if your snake has advanced RI, best to just go to the vet.
    What he said^^^. What is used in the US is F10sc Only. The other forms are Toxic and need to be rinsed off even when used for cleaning. The SC you spray and wipe down. No rinse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Thanks for all of your insights and concerns. You guys are the best!

Here is the MSDS sheet for it. Scroll down to the toxicity section and you will see it is not toxic in diluted form.
    http://www.f10products.co.uk/admin_u...20Oct%2016.pdf

I use the stuff to clean water bowls etc and never had a problem. I have heard people use it in nebulizers for very early cases of RI but for an advanced case, i would take the animal to the vet.

As for a nebulizer, skip the Zoo Med fogger thing. just go buy a nebulizer from Walmart or Rite Aid or Walgreens etc. Probably be cheaper and work the same.

But like i said, if your snake has advanced RI, best to just go to the vet.

Sauzo, I was already looking into nebulizers, because they are definitely a lot cheaper. My concerns with those are I don't think they really kick out a whole lot of steam. Also, the "reservoirs" on them are very small since they are only meant to have a little medication in them, etc. From what i've learned, f10 is supposed to be diluted down to 3 milliliters to 1 liter of water and the foggers are supposed to run for 20 minutes while the animal is being treated. Then the animal is left in the chamber for an additional 20 minutes or until the fog clears. I do agree that this shouldn't be considered a cure and should be used in combination with antibiotics, but at least this is a safe way to help keep the animals breathing easier during their recovery...

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Go to 2min 50sec. Its on RI & what some people do with F10.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJCnPfuqaBM&sns=em

Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    Go to 2min 50sec. Its on RI & what some people do with F10.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJCnPfuqaBM&sns=em

Exactly...

Thanks
    I just got him from taking Misty and Dexter to the vets... ALL of her RI symptoms have been completely gone for 2 days now... No more gaping whatsoever for the past 2 days and there hasn't been any wheezing ever since the very first of the two 10 minute Vicks/Eucalyptus steam chamber treatments that I did with her. There is something to be said about that, but I agree that it's probably not a great idea... I will definitely be using a fogger with F10 in the future! Anyway, the vet examined her and she did still have lots of little tiny bubbles in the back of her throat. So, he brought in a vitamins/Gentocin antibiotic injection and showed me how to give the injections. He sent me home with 6 more injections and I will have to inject her once every 3 days for the next 18 days... I'm not looking forward to having to do that, but I have no choice, but to put my big boy panties on, man up and do it! As mentioned in Dexter's thread, I will have to administer his medicine orally, So, on the bright side, I will be gaining some really good experience treating these two...

As a side note, since this girl has always been somewhat of a problem feeder, I have decided to switch her from a 41 qt. tub to a 28 qt. for awhile and see if she will start eating more regularly. She is too big for a 28 qt. tub in my opinion, but if it helps her start eating better for awhile... Her weight has dropped from 1,080 grams on 10/11/17 to 995 grams today at the vets, because she has refused a lot of meals. I definitely need to start get some weight on her as soon as she finishes shedding!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-18-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    Here are some facts about Eucalyptus Oil that I found:

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-...ntial-oil.html

In addition to a lot of other unrelated health benefits, here are some key benefits they talk about on that page:

The health benefits of eucalyptus oil are well-known and wide-ranging, and its properties include being an anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, decongestant, deodorant, antiseptic, antibacterial, stimulating, and other medicinal qualities.

Treats Respiratory Problems

Eucalyptus essential oil is effective for treating a number of respiratory problems including cold, cough, running nose, sore throat, asthma, nasal congestion, bronchitis, and sinusitis. Eucalyptus oil is antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory and decongestant in nature, which makes it a good ingredient in many medicines that treat respiratory problems. A study published in Laryngoscope in 2004 shows its usefulness in treating nonbacterial sinusitis. Patients suffering from nonbacterial sinusitis showed faster improvement when given the medicine containing eucalyptus oil. Gargles of eucalyptus oil mixed with warm water are consistently effective in treating sore throats.

Asthma is a condition that affects millions of people around the world, and there are many known treatments for the condition. One of them is the use of eucalyptus essential oil. Simply massage 1-3 drops onto the chest and the soothing effect of the aroma and vapors will calm the throat and dilate the blood vessels, which will allow more oxygen into the lungs and normal breathing can be achieved. The anti-inflammatory properties of eucalyptus essential oil also come into play in using it to get relief from asthmatic symptoms.

I don't see how this could possibly be a bad thing...
    Yes! Eucalyptus oil can help with RI's, but for humans. This information you found is based on human antomony. Snake antomony is very different than human as you know and I think that is what Deborah was trying to say. Hopefully you can get to your vet soon!

Thanks
    Yes, and I agree with that school of thought... At the same time, two 10 minute treatments completely stopped the horrible raspy wheezing and gaping and it didn't kill her, though. It didn't cure the RI completely, but it sure helped her to be able to breath until I could get her to the vet. It could have possibly saved her life. As per my last post, she went to the vet yesterday...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (01-21-2018)

Thanks
    FYI. Make sure the humidity is excellent and the snake has warm water available while administering gentamicin. This antibiotic is particularly taxing on reptile kidneys.
    Nothing

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ladybugzcrunch For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (01-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Any news on your babies ?

Hope all are doing better now after the treatments.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123