Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,439

2 members and 2,437 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation HELP My ball python won´t eat !

Hi everyone ! Im new to this forum so excuse me if I say anything wrong.
    Im writing this post because I got a new ball python at a local reptile expo, about a month and a half ago (december 3rd) and I still couldnt get him to eat.
    He is a male I dont know his age but he was 586grams when I got him and he was looking healthy. I wheighed on January 3rd and he was 500grams and last week he was only 464grams so I´m getting kind of worried by now. On the other hand he as pooped about 3 times since i got him on the first 2 to 3 weeks. (might have lost some wheight because of that??)

I keep him in a plastic tub with 80cm long and 40cm wide, with drilled holes on the top, and I use paper towels as substrate. I also have a hide on the heated end of the enclosure (it is a little big for him but I think he still feels safe in it) and a medium sized water bowl on the cold end.
    The heated end is constantly between 30-32 degrees celcius (86-90 farenheit) and the humidity between 70-80pcent, usually stays at 75pcent (average ambient humidity).

I´ve tried to offer him large and extra large froozen mice (the size recomended by the breeders I bought him from) but he doesnt seem interested at all. I let the mouse out to defrost tottaly and then I heat it in warm water inside a plastic bag just before I try to offer him.
    I´ve been trying this since I got him every week at night, and inside his enclosure. He still looks healthy but I start to notice the difference due to the loss of mass.
    I also know that males can fast during this time of the year but since he as been loosing a substancial amount of wheight it is making me worried.

I can get him to the vet but whould avoid it if there is any possible way to get him eating again.
    If you have any advice or constructive criticism to what Im doing know please share with me! Any help is welcomed !
    Last edited by matiasc.c.32; 01-13-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Are you sure he was eating f/t and not live?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

matiasc.c.32 (01-13-2018)

Thanks

Re: HELP My ball python won´t eat !

One thing that is highly recommended that I didn't see you mention is heating up the prey with a hair dryer right before you present it to your BP. Warm the mouse up for a good 1-2 minute and then offer. Good luck!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

matiasc.c.32 (01-13-2018)

Thanks

That Im not 100pcent positive but I also tried to offer him a live mouse (forgot to mention on my post) but the mouse got inside his hide and he just started hissing at the mouse so I removed him imideatly from the bp enclosure so he wouldnt bite the snake...
    So I dont know if thats the isue :/

Thanks

Thanks for the tip ! I´ll give it a try on the next feeding !

Thanks
    Bummer your snake isn't feeding ! I've only had my snake for about 5 months, and there are many here with more experience!

Do you happen to have a temp gun? There could be a possibility that the prey item isn't being heated up enough?

This is a tiny bit different then a slow defrost as the rat fuzzies are frozen when I put them in hot tap water. I usually thaw out a F/T rat fuzzy in water that's around 46C, 115f. As it's warming up in the water, I feel around the head and belly to make sure they're warm to the touch (temp is about 36C, 98f). I'll take a hairdryer on low, and heat the head of the fuzzy for about 10 seconds. This ensures the snake will strike at the head of the prey item.

Another thing you could try, is letting the prey item defrost next to where you keep your snake. He'll smell it as it thaws,and once it's at a good temp, then use the hairdryer trick and see if he snags it.

Is your snake in a high traffic area or a quiet room? Another possibility is maybe he's feeling vulnerable? You could cover his tub with a towel and see if that gets him to feel a bit more secure.

Just some suggestions! You'll get it sorted!
    Last edited by Quahog; 01-13-2018 at 09:24 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Quahog For This Useful Post:

matiasc.c.32 (01-14-2018)

Thanks

Try getting him a smaller hide and see if he takes any food, they like snug hides so he might not feel secure in there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Also wiggle the mouse in front of the hide entrance when he's tucked up in there ..

Always feed in the evenings , low or dim lighting ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Probably too small to be fasting seasonally at that weight. Most likely stress, given they refused a live prey item.

Foremost with BPs is a need to feel secure. Is your hide a snug fit for the animal? If so, get another for the cold end. They need one on both sides, so they can thermoregulate while feeling secure. Similarly, if the tub is very clear material, covering it or blacking out sides will help the BP feel more secure. He may not be eating because he is stressed by a lack of security.

Second is heating/humidity. Tied to first, since the animal may not be thermoregulating properly with only one hide available. Looks like you have that around the right ranges on the hot spot and warm side, but what temp is the ambient? Having improper temps off the hot spot can lead to stress, and thus not eating.

Third is prey issues. What size is the prey in relation to the animal? A male around that size can probably be taking small rats, so the food you're offering might be too small for him to bother with. As the others have said, how you thaw and how you heat it can play a big part. As can rats vs mice. As can how its offered to the animal. For now, contact the breeder. Confirm if it was mice or rats. Ask for some specifics as to HOW they feed their animals. Do they dangle? Leave it in with the animal? Zombie dance it? Knowing what the animal was used to with its previous owner can help it transition with you.

Generally what seems to work best when you DON'T know what the animal is used to is: thawing the prey dry so the scent doesn't wash off, heating it with a blow dryer for a bit then focusing the head til its warm (100F, warm to your human touch), then grasping the prey item behind the skull and moving it around in your animal's line of sight like it was a live rodent. Giggle gently, move it around by dragging it along the enclosure floor, pause in front of their hide opening, etc.
    Last edited by hollowlaughter; 01-13-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks

Thank you forthe response ! Currently I only have an uth plugged in to a thermostat wich keeps the temperatures between 86 and 90 degrees farenheit on the hot spot. The tub is in my bedroom on top of my cornsake´s terrarium and no one goes in the room for most of the day. If I cover the top with a towel (were the drilled holes for ventilation are) wont the levels of humidity get to high ? The ambient humdity we have in my country is about 70pcent for the winter time...

I took some pictures of his setup and also from one of his poops so you can have a better idea (link down bellow)

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...MqplbXRsZ2o_wE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast