Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,851

1 members and 3,850 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Can anyone tell me more about these skin abnormalities?

Hi,

I recently got a green tree python, and noticed some of these irregularities in his skin. I was wondering if these were things to be worried about. He's taken his first couple meals without issue. He was grounded for a few days, but does come perch on his perches from time to time. I'm new to snake keeping, so came here looking to be educated!

Thanks for any help!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PiperPython For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (01-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    First could be an abscess starting or scar from improper injection. Second could be scarring from a heat source, prey bite, or really bad shed.

He looks a little plump have you been able to weigh him? Also where did you get him from and do you have a qualified exotic vet nearby? I would highly recommend getting a fecal float done to rule out parasites. Even captive bred are known to harbor them from the prevalence of breeding stock swapping going on. It pays in the long run to have a check up done to make sure they are healthy. These wonderful snakes can get lethargic rather easy and don't show outward symptoms of issues so it is often better to be proactive rather than reactive.

The lump can be check for possibility of tumor or abscess infection and if infection can be taken care of before it gets bad.

I am assuming maybe 2+ years old and with the grounding make sure you are keeping basking temps proper and that you are observing night time activity to make sure he is not lethargic from weight issues or illness.

In short, would benefit you to get a vet checkup.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Can anyone tell me more about these skin abnormalities?

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    First could be an abscess starting or scar from improper injection. Second could be scarring from a heat source, prey bite, or really bad shed.

He looks a little plump have you been able to weigh him? Also where did you get him from and do you have a qualified exotic vet nearby? I would highly recommend getting a fecal float done to rule out parasites. Even captive bred are known to harbor them from the prevalence of breeding stock swapping going on. It pays in the long run to have a check up done to make sure they are healthy. These wonderful snakes can get lethargic rather easy and don't show outward symptoms of issues so it is often better to be proactive rather than reactive.

The lump can be check for possibility of tumor or abscess infection and if infection can be taken care of before it gets bad.

I am assuming maybe 2+ years old and with the grounding make sure you are keeping basking temps proper and that you are observing night time activity to make sure he is not lethargic from weight issues or illness.

In short, would benefit you to get a vet checkup.
    Thank you so much for the detailed reply. We do have an exotic vet nearby and will take him in for a check up, per your recommendation and because we'd rather be safe than sorry.

We got him from an exotic pets store in town - he is definitely between 2-3 years old. We trust the source, as we have known him for a while.

Regarding fecal exam - that will just entail collecting a stool sample, right?

We have a scale on order, but he did just eat last night - he doesn't seem plump in person, and I do see him cruising around at night occasionally.

Thanks
    Just as a side note got a GTP myself recently so I am going through the joys of learning as well.

There are a few ways to get a fecal. If yours just passed one recently you can collect it and put it in a ziploc bag with a lightly moistened paper towel to keep it moist. They can also do a flush of the cloaca or stomach contents to get a sample so if you do not have a fecal sample, all is not lost. The pet store may have no reason to suspect parasites and for the most part they can stay in balance in a GTP for a long time. I don't want to assume parasites but it is wise to rule them out early to ensure the best health. If yours ends up having some do not despair at all, its not that serious so long as they don't get out of control. They can actually have a high load and not show any signs. Think of them as dogs and how common it is for them to get them

Really good to hear he is cruising around that is a great sign. The vet should be able to weigh him and give an idea from there. They will also be able to better check that lump. They should also check for mites, mouth rot, scale rot, etc in a routine exam so that should also give you a good starting point on their health.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Just as a side note got a GTP myself recently so I am going through the joys of learning as well.

There are a few ways to get a fecal. If yours just passed one recently you can collect it and put it in a ziploc bag with a lightly moistened paper towel to keep it moist. They can also do a flush of the cloaca or stomach contents to get a sample so if you do not have a fecal sample, all is not lost. The pet store may have no reason to suspect parasites and for the most part they can stay in balance in a GTP for a long time. I don't want to assume parasites but it is wise to rule them out early to ensure the best health. If yours ends up having some do not despair at all, its not that serious so long as they don't get out of control. They can actually have a high load and not show any signs. Think of them as dogs and how common it is for them to get them

Really good to hear he is cruising around that is a great sign. The vet should be able to weigh him and give an idea from there. They will also be able to better check that lump. They should also check for mites, mouth rot, scale rot, etc in a routine exam so that should also give you a good starting point on their health.
    Thank you for easing my concerns a little bit. I'm a bit worried about him now, but that's because I love him. His behavior seemed fine, and so I debated posting, but I'd rather get him checked up.

Do you have any experience with transporting them to the vet? I was thinking a pillowcase inside of a plastic container (with holes drilled obviously), but I am unsure how to keep the temperature up from leaving my warm car into the vet and back into my car.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Here's a picture of him

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PiperPython For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (01-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    Oh wow, he's beautiful. I don't have a GTP myself (yet...maybe one day...one can hope...) but have learned tons by joining the various Facebook groups and forums dedicated to them. If you haven't already, I'd recommend joining them and posting your pics & concerns. There are members with tons of experience who may more readily recognize what you're seeing.

I'd recommend these FB groups as they are pretty active and have tons of members:

• Morelia Viridis Forum FB
    • Green Tree Pythons Buy, Sell Trade
    • Green Tree Pythons (Morelia Viridis)

Vet check-up is always a good place to start though!

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

Thanks
    the main thing is to not leave a lid open so anything that secures down a lid like a sterilite tub would work. They won't try and push open like some terrestrial snakes so as long as the lid is in place and not loose on it will be fine.

Now of course you want something that will contain him but be big enough so you are not trying to reach in on top of him. They are fast with the bitey fangs but should be pretty mellow when transported. Just stick some paper towels on the bottom and place them in. I put a thermometer in so I can monitor the temps as I travel. It allows me to adjust the heater to keep mine around upper 70s to 80. I also carry a large towel to cradle it to keep it a bit warmer.

I hope I am not worrying you just want to make sure you start out in good shape. No different than taking a loved dog for a check up at the vet

Here is what I use but you might need a bit bigger depending on the size of your boy. Something like a 15 qt latching tub would work that you cna pick up anywhere like walmart or target

This is an example of the tub you may need

http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProdu...=180&section=1

This is what I use

I recommend against a bag because well it already is going to be a pain to get them off the perch and into a bag then a vet tech to get it out of the bag and secured. They can weigh it in the tub then take out the snake, weigh the tub and subtract (that's what we do)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PiperPython View Post
    Here's a picture of him

Looks much better here not chunky at all

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thank you both so much. We made a vet appointment and have the tub all ready, so we'll get him looked at to make sure he's good and healthy. He ate both times we offered him immediately, so that's always a good sign.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    Oh wow, he's beautiful. I don't have a GTP myself (yet...maybe one day...one can hope...) but have learned tons by joining the various Facebook groups and forums dedicated to them. If you haven't already, I'd recommend joining them and posting your pics & concerns. There are members with tons of experience who may more readily recognize what you're seeing.

I'd recommend these FB groups as they are pretty active and have tons of members:

• Morelia Viridis Forum FB
    • Green Tree Pythons Buy, Sell Trade
    • Green Tree Pythons (Morelia Viridis)

Vet check-up is always a good place to start though!
    Just a heads up, Morelia Viridis Forum FB is a horrible group. Within a few hours of making a post we were ripped apart and felt to be unwelcome and ignorant without even asking for advice. The other two are not bad but that one I would avoid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast