Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,290

1 members and 3,289 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Pat the baby biak green tree python

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Great pic of the little guy in action! Haha go Pat!

Just wondering what did you use to adhere the rod holders to your glass?
    Lol thanks. I am very pleased with his progress. He doesnt seem pissy although if you wake him up, he does tend to hiss a little. Think he is grumpy wake up person lol. But once he is awake, he is fine. I use zip tie cable mounts from Home Depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...B-10/303810319

Then i just take a dremel with a cutting wheel and cut one of the 4 sides off so i can slide the perch into it. The other side i leave all closed. They fit 1/4 inch oak dowels perfect and they are rated to like 50 lbs or something crazy like that. They are self adhesive too.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

67temp (01-18-2018),MD_Pythons (01-15-2018),MissterDog (01-15-2018)

Thanks

Maaaaan....GTP's are my weakness, I see them in their display cages like yours and I just want lol......one day maybe.

Idk if this was covered yet but.....f2?......or import?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (01-15-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Maaaaan....GTP's are my weakness, I see them in their display cages like yours and I just want lol......one day maybe.

Idk if this was covered yet but.....f2?......or import?
    Thanks. He's an indonesian farm baby lol. I really didnt want to drop $1000+ for my first GTP after hearing how fragile they are. But now that i have one and so far everything has been going great, i am feeling more confident and there possibly might be that bank breaking high blue one in the future

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I hope really much so that you don't suffer the issue with imports and even CB of imports (parasites). Good thing you are getting a fecal done soon
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Thanks. He's an indonesian farm baby lol. I really didnt want to drop $1000+ for my first GTP after hearing how fragile they are. But now that i have one and so far everything has been going great, i am feeling more confident and there possibly might be that bank breaking high blue one in the future
    I can understand that, the fragile nature of babies would definitely concern me especially during shipping but it's awesome he's doing well for you. ....and a high blue is like.....the stuff of the gods to me lol. I saw one at the NARBC when I was younger and the breeder had to pretty much ask me nicely to leave his booth because I kept staring at it and blocking potential customers who may have actually had the cash to buy it

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (01-15-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    I hope really much so that you don't suffer the issue with imports and even CB of imports (parasites). Good thing you are getting a fecal done soon
    Well CB and farm raised are pretty much the same thing. They are hatched in Indonesia and then importers like Bush Master and such import them, usually treat them for parasites and then get them a few feedings and sell them. You know, CB babies get a bad rep but if it was as bad as a lot of people say, said importers probably wouldnt be in business long.

Every reptile has some amounts of parasites. Usually they live in a peaceful existence. It's when the snake gets stressed or somehow gets its immune system lowered and susceptible, that the parasites/bacteria overrun it and then you got the problems. And funny part is i was told babies actually dont get worms or nematodes as much as subadults and adults. Maybe it has to do with the foods they eat as babies freshly hatched arent eating the wild birds and stuff in the jungles that probably are loaded with nematodes? But you very rarely see babies with worms bumps under their skin like adults. But yeah, I'll get a fecal done anyways later after he has settled in and stuff. He has an insatiable appetite, cruises around at night all over, poops and pisses regularly and isnt losing weight and is gaining weight so I am personally not too worried atm. I still dont use any of the same utensils or stuff as for my other snakes though.

The gal i got my guy from said, she has never had an issue from her importer ever with babies and they all have thrived which is kind of the reason i got him. The first time she had some in, i was going to pull the trigger but she talked me out of it as she knows I'm a boa guy and like to handle my snakes a lot. But after looking at them all the time, i decided to pull the trigger on this last batch she got lol. And she told me, all her imports are treated for parasites before being sold. But like i said, I'll take a poop in for my vet one of these days lol. I have to try and get a fresh one which is hard as the little bugger cruises around as night which is when i sleep for the most part haha.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    I can understand that, the fragile nature of babies would definitely concern me especially during shipping but it's awesome he's doing well for you. ....and a high blue is like.....the stuff of the gods to me lol. I saw one at the NARBC when I was younger and the breeder had to pretty much ask me nicely to leave his booth because I kept staring at it and blocking potential customers who may have actually had the cash to buy it
    Haha yeah. A high blue guy would definitely set me back. Only problem is would want a baby and as far as i know, there is no guarantee that one will be high blue even if the parents are.

And yeah, Pat is actually doing awesome. He has put on some weight and i can definitely see he has filled out from my aggressive feeding schedule to try and get him all bulked up and stable. A few more of the feedings and i will cut him back to every 7 days. Just doing every 4 days right now for about a month to make sure he poops, pees and does the snake stuff normally. I am actually pretty surprised too as his poop or pee doesnt smell. I have to check every couple days for poops on the floor. My boas, you can tell when you open the cage. Its smells...like...poop lol. Might be because Pat's poops are so tiny lol.

And he went from the kind of shy feeding a couple weeks ago when i got him to now he is as bad as Caesar when he smells dinner. Last time he almost got my hand and this time, i wasnt even ready as i just rubbed the mouse on him and he hissed. So i went to move the mouse a little to a better position and as i was pulling it back to move it, he shot out of the plant again like a bullet lol. He latched on and wrapped the mouse and the forceps. Luckily i can just slide the forceps out.

I too was worried about his fragile nature which is why i dont handle him. I usually use a Q-Tip or twisted paper towel to tickle him and get him to move. It worked the first week. Now though, i tried to get him to move off his plant so i could move it and yeah, he wasnt having any of that lol. He stood his ground and turned his head and looked at the Q-Tip. He then did the same thing with the paper towel lol. i never did get him to move. It's like with the nice intake of food and bulking up, he is also getting more bold and standing his ground. No more running away for the little worm haha.

Thanks

I thought your Aru was an import too? If not, what breeder did you get him from? And how was the interaction? I know a couple breeders but they have long wait lists and their stuff is $900+ starting. There are a few like Harlin Wall and Ryan Burke at Clockwork Reptiles but I believe they import Indonesian babies and then treat them and get about 10 meals or so in them and then sell them.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 01-15-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    My cousin hooked me up with someone breeding for fun. I'm still not sure he was the right person to get from even though he was really nice and took good care of his snakes but if I did it over again I would definitely save $1000 for a quality US captive bred from a top breeder. This species and most breeders are not taking the precautions they should. Mine is doing good so far but had a health hiccup and required a vet visit. Thankfully she has a clean bill of health and the vet is amazing enough to treat her properly but it really has made me paranoid lately. Once I get a few feeds and poops under her, I will relax.

Trust, me you want to get a fecal as soon as you are comfortable taking yours in, it's worth it to get a clean parasite bill of health.
    Last edited by SDA; 01-15-2018 at 11:56 PM.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

My cousin hooked me up with someone breeding for fun. I'm still not sure he was the right person to get from even though he was really nice and took good care of his snakes but if I did it over again I would definitely save $1000 for a quality US captive bred from a top breeder. This species and most breeders are not taking the precautions they should. Mine is doing good so far but had a health hiccup and required a vet visit. Thankfully she has a clean bill of health and the vet is amazing enough to treat her properly but it really has made me paranoid lately. Once I get a few feeds and poops under her, I will relax.

Trust, me you want to get a fecal as soon as you are comfortable taking yours in, it's worth it to get a clean parasite bill of health.
    Ouch. Luckily Pat has been going up and up on his deal so like i said, I'm not hugely worried. My philosophy has always been, 'if its not broken, dont fix it'. A lot of times, going to the vet can cause more stress and actually create problems. Dont get me wrong, I will eventually get a fecal done but atm I'm not too worried about it. If i saw huge weight loss, loss of appetite, really smelly poop or funky looking poop, then i would be worried for sure. But Pat's little poops are nice and dark brown, dont look funky or anything like that. He is gaining weight and has done nothing but increased in his appetite and attitude as he has become much more bold and and inquisitive. To tell you the truth, i have never had a fecal done on any of my snakes. My beardie has had blood tests and fecals done. None of my snakes have ever had a problem. Rosey had a sinus infection from pushing in her old cage and cutting her nose but that has been it.

I was pretty stressed too with Pat but he has had 5 feeds with me and like i said, each feeding is more gung ho than the last and now i actually have to watch myself as he seems happy to go for it now when he smells a mouse haha. He has had 4 poops with me too and probably 5 or 6 pisses.

Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast