Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,382

1 members and 3,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Went to Petco for some animal supplies and just happen to check in the snakes....

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    That's what they said about puppy mills and look at how many states now have laws against stores selling from them and yet dogs are not outlawed. No, we need to expose this to show a wrong doing without fear of it leading to the end of reptile ownership. There are many aspects of the exotic pet trade that do need to end (wild caught, wholesale farms, flippers, chains like petsmart and petco selling without basic care, etc). This industry has a dirty side that needs attention paid to it.
    I've got mixed feelings on wc animals and imports, on one hand with most species you don't really need a wc as they're already commonly bred. On the other hand wc animals were and still are important for creating new morphs and combos and introducing new blood into lines. Or getting an animal from a specific locality that may be hard to find captive bred. But unless you're a breeder of some sort, I really don't think there is much of a reason to get an import or wc.

Thanks

Re: Went to Petco for some animal supplies and just happen to check in the snakes....

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Pythons View Post
    I've got mixed feelings on wc animals and imports, on one hand with most species you don't really need a wc as they're already commonly bred. On the other hand wc animals were and still are important for creating new morphs and combos and introducing new blood into lines. Or getting an animal from a specific locality that may be hard to find captive bred. But unless you're a breeder of some sort, I really don't think there is much of a reason to get an import or wc.
    I respectfully disagree. I don't think we should ever take wild animals from their natural habitat in order to gain something from them. I have no problem with captive bred, born, and raised. But for me personally, i'd never think of purchasing a wild caught animal. But, everyone is free to their own opinion and free to make their own choices.
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dylan815 For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (12-14-2017)

Registered User SiXandSeven8ths's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dylan815 View Post
    I don't think we should ever take wild animals from their natural habitat in order to gain something from them.
    I have no problem with captive bred, born, and raised.
    You can't have one without the other though.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SiXandSeven8ths For This Useful Post:

NPE76 (12-14-2017),salt (12-19-2017)

Thanks

I respectfully disagree. I don't think we should ever take wild animals from their natural habitat in order to gain something from them. I have no problem with captive bred, born, and raised. But for me personally, i'd never think of purchasing a wild caught animal. But, everyone is free to their own opinion and free to make their own choices.
    If animals were never taken from the wild none of us would have pets. I agree their aren't many reasons to do so in 2017, but without it ever happening the world would be a far different place.

Even our food, for those of us who eat meat, at one point was wild. Caught, domesticated, and selectively bred

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NPE76 View Post
    If animals were never taken from the wild none of us would have pets. I agree their aren't many reasons to do so in 2017, but without it ever happening the world would be a far different place.

Even our food, for those of us who eat meat, at one point was wild. Caught, domesticated, and selectively bred for human benefit.

Dogs, Cats, horses, and reptiles were all wild animals at some point.
    Its fine to choose not to buy WC, but there is no reason to look down upon it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    There is no reason for a hobbyist or pet owner to own a wild caught snake. The problem that is happening still is that native populations are being threatened by capturing wild caught for the pet trade. Let's take ball pythons for example, there is zero reason for anyone from a breeder on down to have a wild caught ball python in this day and age of over breeding of captive bred specimens.

If some new and cool snake is discovered, there is also no reason to suddenly capture it for the pet trade. There are more than enough snake species being currently captive bred that we never again need to touch wild populations. I respect the past that we got this hobby from wild caught specimens but it has evolved far enough away from ever having a wild caught again enter the hobby.

So yes, there is NOW a reason to look down upon it. Just because someone can afford something does not mean there should be justification to remove it from the wild to give it to that person now that we have a long established captive bred industry. Owning anything wild caught is careless and selfish. that goes for zoos on down to people like me.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

Aerries (12-14-2017)

Thanks

Wow my thread just took a totally different turn hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Even our food, for those of us who eat meat, at one point was wild. Caught, domesticated, and selectively bred

I am a strict vegetarian. I have been since I was 14.

1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated

Thanks

So no dogs either then?

1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated

Thanks

So no dogs either then?

Not sure what you mean by this ....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

zina10 (12-15-2017)

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast