Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,267

1 members and 3,266 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Boa or Blood Python??

So latest update on this. I now have been allowed $300 for a new snake and setup. Also a Blood Python or Boa may not work. Every summer I go to Michigan to my grandparents and the snakes would have to come with (I dont trust other people to keep temps and humidity) And bringing a adult blood python on a 8 hr car drive and setting it up in a temporary setup might not go well. So I'm considering smaller snake species instead.
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    So latest update on this. I now have been allowed $300 for a new snake and setup. Also a Blood Python or Boa may not work. Every summer I go to Michigan to my grandparents and the snakes would have to come with (I dont trust other people to keep temps and humidity) And bringing a adult blood python on a 8 hr car drive and setting it up in a temporary setup might not go well. So I'm considering smaller snake species instead.
    Sorry haven't read through the entire thread ... are you thinking a display snake or one for handling ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Have you looked at Savu and Antaresia Pythons? They're one the smaller side but they're outside the usual ball pythons and I'm sure they'd make interesting captives. They shouldn't grow out of a 40 gal tank.

BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Pythons View Post
    Have you looked at Savu and Antaresia Pythons? They're one the smaller side but they're outside the usual ball pythons and I'm sure they'd make interesting captives. They shouldn't grow out of a 40 gal tank.
    I've never heard of Savu's, They look pretty cool though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Sorry haven't read through the entire thread ... are you thinking a display snake or one for handling ??

I'd prefer a snake I can handle.
    Last edited by BallPythonWannaBe; 02-14-2018 at 04:15 PM.
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks

I've never heard of Savu's, They look pretty cool though.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd prefer a snake I can handle.
    Best snake to sit quietly on your lap whilst watching TV or for a nervous friend or relative to hold HAS to be a Royal Ball python...

If you want a friendly but inquisitive and active handling experience I'd go for a Corn snake ... there are others of course

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Best snake to sit quietly on your lap whilst watching TV or for a nervous friend or relative to hold HAS to be a Royal Ball python...

If you want a friendly but inquisitive and active handling experience I'd go for a Corn snake ... there are others of course

Corn snakes are great! Beautiful, inexpensive (even a beautiful morph is usually under $150, or much less), and adaptable. They also do not need crazy setups. Humidity is basically a non-issue, and they do fine with lower heat requirements (actually prefer it) than BP's, for example.

My corn would eat anything anywhere. My BP, if I moved her every summer, would probably take the whole summer to adjust and eat again!

They get a good size too. They need a little more support and dart around little more than a BP (Corns are more active for sure), but are generally totally docile. I got Figment at 9G and he's now 640G and over 5 FT! He's a sweetheart. Squirmy when little, but they get used to being handled quickly once they realize you are not going to eat them. They also get more confidence with size.

Does take a little while for them to grow since they are so small and eat such small prey items. I do not believe in overfeeding and Figment took 4 years to be full grown.

Here's my thread on Figment. You can see how much he has grown!

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...nder-Corn-Baby
    Last edited by dakski; 02-14-2018 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to post link.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-14-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Corn snakes are great! Beautiful, inexpensive (even a beautiful morph is usually under $150, or much less), and adaptable. They also do not need crazy setups. Humidity is basically a non-issue, and they do fine with lower heat requirements (actually prefer it) than BP's, for example.

My corn would eat anything anywhere. My BP, if I moved her every summer, would probably take the whole summer to adjust and eat again!

They get a good size too. They need a little more support and dart around little more than a BP (Corns are more active for sure), but are generally totally docile. I got Figment at 9G and he's now 640G and over 5 FT! He's a sweetheart. Squirmy when little, but they get used to being handled quickly once they realize you are not going to eat them. They also get more confidence with size.

Does take a little while for them to grow since they are so small and eat such small prey items. I do not believe in overfeeding and Figment took 4 years to be full grown.

Stunning !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I should add that kingsnakes, milksnakes, and other, more common colubrids are all good. The common ones are usually common because of ease of care and ease of captive breeding, plus knowledge of the species will be readily available.

I am partial to corns (in colubrids), myself. I find them to be a little less aggressive when wanting food.

Figment will destroy a F/T mouse, don't get me wrong. However, he has never bit expecting food/hoping for food. Same with all the corns I have had over the years (3). I know kings can be very aggressive when wanting food! However, I am sure it varies from animal to animal.

My BCI has a killer feeding response as well, and in general it's a good thing, but especially if you are new to snakes, I think a corn gives the best value. Price, morphs, ease of care, handling ability, will eat anything, etc. They check all the boxes.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post

A corn snake was the first snake I owned and since have had boas, pythons, and other colubrids. We bought a normal corn snake for my fiance who was new to snakes and I totally forgot how cool they are! hes so curious and active I really enjoy having him.
    Yours is awesome looking! We just picked up a baby okeetee from Kathy Love, cant wait to see her grow into her colors.

OP i second corn snake.
    I'm not your friend buddy!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to djansen For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-15-2018)

Thanks

Boa or Blood Python??

Quote Originally Posted by djansen View Post
    A corn snake was the first snake I owned and since have had boas, pythons, and other colubrids. We bought a normal corn snake for my fiance who was new to snakes and I totally forgot how cool they are! hes so curious and active I really enjoy having him.
    Yours is awesome looking! We just picked up a baby okeetee from Kathy Love, cant wait to see her grow into her colors.

OP i second corn snake.
    Aren't Corn snakes known as the 'gateway' snake

I also started with ONE Corn snake and now have a total of 20 snakes inc Royals , Corns , Kings , Rat snakes , Burm , Retic , Boas etc etc

Last edited by Zincubus; 02-15-2018 at 09:00 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-15-2018)

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast