Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,453

2 members and 3,451 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Kindly reassure me?

This is Juju and he's a jerk. He's a year an a half old sitting at 751g and has eaten 8-10 times since January. He's put on a WHOPPING 19g since late September.

I keep ambient temps right around 82 hot spot right around 90 gice or take 2 degrees on both given time of day etc. He's on a cushy bed of ecoearth and forest floor mix and has nice snug idential hiding spots. He's been spotten taking a dip in his water bowl, but never for long periods. He poos rarely but in a fair amount of time relevant to feeding. He sheds infrequently, but they've all been beautiful full pieces. Humidity runs about 60% give or take 5. I do suppose I could cover a good portion if his tub, and that didn't occur to me until I started typing this...

His spine has become noticable and he's thinner than I'd like, but he's not scary thin I don't suppose. He's become visually thinner over time, but his weight has slowly increased, about 200g this year I suppose. He was a rough start, and very scary thin when I got him. Had him up to chunkeroo then he decided it was diet time. He's a chore, but I'd do anything to keep him confortable.

Photos attached. What do you think of my boy?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python "Juju"
    1.0 Anerythystic Colombian Boa "Ludo"
    1.0 Amerlanistic Kinked Corn Snake "Oscar Pistorious"
    Along with my darling husband who hates my limbless lovies, girl child who isn't quite sure yet
    We're overlorded by two sister kitties and recent storm drain rescue who all wreak havoc everywhere they can sneak

Thanks

Re: Kindly reassure me?

Hey actually looks good from what I️ can see....watch his weight weekly or bi-weekly, my girl went on her fast in February this year and didn’t start eating again till July and she dropped to 480 and now is over 800g so u may have just gotten a picky eater like me lol how are u feeding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

mamaodie (12-09-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    Hey actually looks good from what I️ can see....watch his weight weekly or bi-weekly, my girl went on her fast in February this year and didn’t start eating again till July and she dropped to 480 and now is over 800g so u may have just gotten a picky eater like me lol how are u feeding?

Thank you! He was rough to get started. After a couple months he ate religiously for months hard striking super interested. I warm his meals to appropriate temps, offer with tongs with a little bit of a dance (minimal so not to scare him), and then I leave them overnight because he absolutely won't strike anymore. He decides they're edible with no specific timeline about once every 6 weeks or so on average. The feedings have gotten much less frequent as time went on. I know fasts are normal and as long as they don't lose weight and act rather normal it's fine. But, he's my only bp and I tend to worry given his rough go at life from the beginning.

Along with my darling husband who hates my limbless lovies, girl child who isn't quite sure yet
    We're overlorded by two sister kitties and recent storm drain rescue who all wreak havoc everywhere they can sneak

Thanks
    I'm going to second that he looks like he's in good condition. Beautiful boy. Some males just never get very big. It's a shame he's not eating regularly for you though. I know people often try to discourage feeding live, but have you tried? It might get him more interested.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Well he looks perfectly fine to me tbh .

I have a couple of Royals that will only eat every 2 weeks ... They're all so different I guess . Have you tried the hairdryer method ?? Wait until the snake is in a hide , blast mouse , offer immediately whilst still hot dangling it in front of the hide entrance using tongs ..and repeat and repeat ..

I'll send details by PM ... Worth a try just wait a week or so before you try again ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

mamaodie (12-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I wouldn't worry too much, he looks like he has some good weight on him and could fast for a long time. You could try feeding a live weaned rat to get him in the mood. I started feeding live to all my ball pythons a couple months ago and all of them started eating except one of my pied girls. She won't eat anything live or pre killed, not even a rat crawler left in there for hours which surprises me. I'm not worried about her, just bummed that she probably won't lay this year.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (12-09-2017),mamaodie (12-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Don't sweat it, Juju is in no danger of starving.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

mamaodie (12-09-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Well he looks perfectly fine to me tbh .

I have a couple of Royals that will only eat every 2 weeks ... They're all so different I guess . Have you tried the hairdryer method ?? Wait until the snake is in a hide , blast mouse , offer immediately whilst still hot dangling it in front of the hide entrance using tongs ..and repeat and repeat ..

I'll send details by PM ... Worth a try just wait a week or so before you try again ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Lol looks like I’m not the only one!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

mamaodie (12-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Juju looks nice and huge to me. Probably he got a bit too fat, and now he's getting back "in shape."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

mamaodie (12-09-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_rotten1 View Post
    I'm going to second that he looks like he's in good condition. Beautiful boy. Some males just never get very big. It's a shame he's not eating regularly for you though. I know people often try to discourage feeding live, but have you tried? It might get him more interested.
    I have been giving thought to buy a pet store mouse to try. He's been on small rats for almost a year, but I can't get live rats anywhere. I've tried, but the guy I used to go through got out of the business. It's on the list though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast