Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,449

1 members and 3,448 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts

My husband wants a GTP :O

So my husband, the non reptile gene carrying love of my life now has it in his head to want a GTP. Thankfully he wants just a GTP and not some crazy designer color phase. The bad thing is I am not all that opposed to the idea. I did tell him we need to do a ton of research on breeders and available lines and which is better, CB imports or US CB. I for one am morally opposed to any wild caught specimens. I don't believe in anyone owning a wild caught as a pet. I understand the importance of it historically to get lines going but in today's hobby there is no reason to own wild caught.

Back on the subject of GTP, I have found the tapatalk forum for arboreal pythons and a few facebook groups as well as i-herp but we are months out from being ready for a more intense snake.

Now what I wonder is it bad to get captive bred from Indonesia through Outback Reptiles? They state they quarantine, treat for parasites and make sure they are feeding before selling or is it viable to get a local captive bred neonate that isn't going to run in the thousands of dollars? I have imposed a limit of no more than $450 for the snake period. I refuse to pay higher because I don't want to so I am reaching out to see if anyone has any first hand experience in getting a GTP in the past few years and where a good deal is? I am not opposed to a biak or cyclops but he really likes the patterning on Manokwari. We do not want anything fancy, just healthy.

Anyone have any input aside from I must be insane to entertain this?
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Re: My husband wants a GTP :O

I cannot give you ANY advice whatsoever, but, I wanted to wish you luck! They're beautiful snakes .
    Dewey
    He ain't scare of no things

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GiddyGoat For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-04-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I would highly HIGHLY recommend that you get a captive bred and born, well established snake from a well known breeder.

I would not at all get any kind of import, whether it was captive bred where-ever it comes from, whether it was treated or eating.

I've had 2 Gtp's that were awesome snakes, handle-able (although not a snake you want to handle all the time and for the love of god don't stick your hand in the cage in the evening/night)

Just don't do it (imports).

But that is just my opinion
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (12-04-2017),C.Marie (12-04-2017),Craiga 01453 (12-05-2017),GiddyGoat (12-04-2017),MissterDog (12-05-2017),redshepherd (12-04-2017),Stewart_Reptiles (12-05-2017)

Thanks
    On morphmarket only saw one from Underground Reptiles for $400 dollars good luck with your new exciting adventure 😊
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I agree with what Zina10 has said and personally I'd avoid a captive hatched from a large wholesale distributor. Spend the extra $ on a nice CBB from a hobby breeder and you'll be much happier in the long run, IMO of course.
    I would highly suggest picking up "The More Complete Chondro" book written by Greg Maxwell (he has retired at this point sadly but was a wealth of knowledge).
    For the Horde!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-04-2017),zina10 (12-04-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    If you want healthy, then definitely get a US captive born and bred (USCBB) snake. "Farm bred"/"imported" are still wild caught.

Here's a link to read through about where the GTP's come from: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/more...ms-t23611.html

They're really not an intense snake by any means, just not always handleable and kid-friendly like ball pythons are. They move rather slowly and deliberately still. Especially if you get a neonate, it's best to avoid handling unless necessary until they're around a year old, because their tails are very fragile.

The fb group called "Green Tree Pythons~ Buy, Trade, Chat" or something is the most active to ask questions and post.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 12-04-2017 at 08:22 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-04-2017),Craiga 01453 (12-05-2017),GiddyGoat (12-04-2017),MissterDog (12-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    "Farm bred"/"imported" are still wild caught.
    Worth quoting. If you were experienced with them and wanted one that would be different. Since it's your first get a well-established captive born and bred neonate from a breeder with a good reputation. Yes you will pay more but you will get a much better animal.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-04-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I too wanted a GTP at one point. As mentioned, best to get a CBB one although people like Harlin Wall and Ryan Burke at Clockwork Reptiles are pretty good from what i hear. I backed out of getting one as i read quite a few stories of them just keeling over for no apparent reason. I would advise get a juvenile if its your first GTP. Much hardier and still young enough that you can watch the color change. I ended up just getting more boas and a retic. I prefer the bulletproof snakes that i can throw on me and drag around haha.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-04-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I appreciate everyone's concern for getting a US born captive bred specimen but... with the horrendous trend of breeders swapping stock for breeding without doing even basic quarantine and now there being a widespread epidemic of nidovirus running through entire collections and the few breeders smart enough to properly protect their stock, prices have become ludicrous for non designer pythons. I am doing my homework

I would prefer and will try my best to get, if we decide on taking on one of these, to have a US born neonate but I will not pay the exorbitant prices these people are now charging (>$1000) for a "normal" pet (meaning non designer or non color shift, non "morph").

Farm bred and wild caught are out of the question, I will not support the removal of species from the wild. I will also not get a captive bred from this country if the breeder will not disclose how they are breeding and quarantining against nidovirus. The vast majority are in this for quick profits and as such have compromised the entire industry. Too many people just in it for a pet have bought a GTP with the best intentions only to have it die because the breeder withheld that their collection was infested with nidovirus.

We are not even thinking of taking on one until spring at least which will give us time to do proper research on both breeders in this country and how Outback Reptiles, the only importer I trust, handles quarantine.
    Last edited by SDA; 12-05-2017 at 09:45 AM.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

I really can't give you any advice besides go to an established breeder. I just had a freind of mine cheap out and get one from a Petco and it just died on him, he hadn't had it a week. On a side note, if you find gtps too costly or fragile what about a Carpet? They are hardier and cheaper, same genus too. Inland Reptile I've heard good things about Inland Reptile, and he keeps great records. Best of luck to you, in whatever you decide on.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast