Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,331

1 members and 3,330 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Boas will NOT eat as much as you give them

I know why you keep responding Sauzo; for any other boa owners who *will* listen and learn.

And then there’s the challenge of counter-surfing beagles (No, banana peel is not edible, you idiots!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

dylan815 (11-30-2017),Sauzo (11-30-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    If I ever get a boa (and Sauzo, you make a really, really good case, but dang are they a bit big for me as of yet lol), I know I'll be adhering to a feeding regimen something like this: https://crispysnakes.tumblr.com/husbandry

Look at how healthy and square those animals look! I'd be proud to own an animal like these (especially Sunkist, that one is gorgeous). And from people with years of experience with boas are saying, I would definitely expect them to live beyond 10 years. Just food for thought .
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (12-26-2017),Sauzo (11-30-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I tell you what Sauzo has been the voice of reason so many times in posts I have read. I would defiantly take someone like that's advice for large size snakes. I am a firm believer of never over feeding any animal. The consequences of taxing the anatomy of an animal long terml far outweighs the short term results.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

dylan815 (11-30-2017),PokeyTheNinja (12-26-2017),Sauzo (11-30-2017)

Thanks
    Sauzo knows his stuff and I would listen to him if you have any sense.....

Ease up on your feeding schedule, you're killing your snake. When he dies before he reaches 10 years old it will be all your fault..... Like was previously stated, you now know what you are doing and choosing not to change, His death will be 100% on you......
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dylan815 For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (12-26-2017),PythonBabes (11-30-2017),Sauzo (11-30-2017),Sunnieskys (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post
    Boas can reach 12 inches in diameter and over 10 feet long. I found this old video on youtube of a BCI who was obvioulsy abandonment by her owner and was let loose, i guess because the snake reached a size where that owner no longer was able to manage. She was caught near a goat pen in florida. The guy who caught her and own the goat pen commented below the video and wrote this:" I have never seen a snake this big on the loose, especially on my ten acres of woods. After I got over the shock I realized she had to be someone's pet so we treated her gently and put her in a tot bag and sold her to a snake breeder in Pasco County. It was an experience but she was easy to handle. The breader said she was 10 ft long and about 12" in diameter and full grown".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsU7mWrt6w0
    Just watched that video and no way that boa is 12 inches in diameter or 10 ft long lol.

I tried to gauge a size on it but really no reference to use other than maybe the fence. If each square mesh in the fence was say 4 inches, being generous and say it is 20 mesh squares long(i think more like 15 but i'm giving the benefit of the doubt), that would make that snake 6.7 ft.

As for being 12 inches in diameter, there is no way. If you look at the head of that snake, it can easily fit in a mesh square with room to spare. So that would mean the head is probably 3 inches or so. That would mean there is no way the body is 12 inches in diameter since that would make for a very disproportioned snake with a head 3" wide and a body 4 times that wide. Using the mesh square to guess the head and then using the head to guess the body, i would guess the body is about 6 inches in diameter.

He/she is actually a pretty healthy looking snake as you can see its squared body shape and it being taller than wide. You can also see the muscle line down the side in some of the video which means it doesnt have a ton of fat on its flanks. It does have a couple lines running down each side of the spine on top but they look good, not like a Grand Canyon effect which is another place boas store fat.

But anyways, there is no way that snake is 10 ft and 12 inches in diameter lol. You see all kinds of people claiming their boas are 8 or 9 ft and then if you actually hit them with a measuring tape, they shrink in size quicker than 'manhood' in a cold swimming pool lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

dylan815 (12-01-2017),jmcrook (11-30-2017),PokeyTheNinja (12-26-2017),Starscream (11-30-2017),Sunnieskys (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    The whole goat farmers sounds like a classic fishing story guy in real life catches a catfish that he spins into a man eating monster I will personally never understand stubbing good well meaning advice talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face hope you are not to proud to put the animal first that's more important than being right best wishes and thank you to everyone who chimed in to help your words where not wasted
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by C.Marie View Post
    The whole goat farmers sounds like a classic fishing story guy in real life catches a catfish that he spins into a man eating monster I will personally never understand stubbing good well meaning advice talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face hope you are not to proud to put the animal first that's more important than being right best wishes and thank you to everyone who chimed in to help your words where not wasted
    This person does this all the time. They even said ball pythons are arboreal snakes lmao. I wonder what's next
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PythonBabes For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Are we seriously having this convo again? You didn't listen last time and again trying to be a know it all. So done!
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post
    Boas can reach 12 inches in diameter and over 10 feet long.
    I'm starting to suspect you mean circumference...? That would make much more sense. lol. A 12 inch diameter and only 10 feet long is shaped like a giant turd.

A real snake one foot in diameter is like an adult anaconda.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 12-01-2017 at 03:29 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-01-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    I'm starting to suspect you mean circumference...? That would make much more sense. lol. A 12 inch diameter and only 10 feet long is shaped like a giant turd.

A real snake one foot in diameter is like an adult anaconda.
    I'm pretty sure he means diameter like was stated by the Person who started this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Just watched that video and no way that boa is 12 inches in diameter or 10 ft long lol.

I tried to gauge a size on it but really no reference to use other than maybe the fence. If each square mesh in the fence was say 4 inches, being generous and say it is 20 mesh squares long(i think more like 15 but i'm giving the benefit of the doubt), that would make that snake 6.7 ft.

As for being 12 inches in diameter, there is no way. If you look at the head of that snake, it can easily fit in a mesh square with room to spare. So that would mean the head is probably 3 inches or so. That would mean there is no way the body is 12 inches in diameter since that would make for a very disproportioned snake with a head 3" wide and a body 4 times that wide. Using the mesh square to guess the head and then using the head to guess the body, i would guess the body is about 6 inches in diameter.

He/she is actually a pretty healthy looking snake as you can see its squared body shape and it being taller than wide. You can also see the muscle line down the side in some of the video which means it doesnt have a ton of fat on its flanks. It does have a couple lines running down each side of the spine on top but they look good, not like a Grand Canyon effect which is another place boas store fat.

But anyways, there is no way that snake is 10 ft and 12 inches in diameter lol. You see all kinds of people claiming their boas are 8 or 9 ft and then if you actually hit them with a measuring tape, they shrink in size quicker than 'manhood' in a cold swimming pool lol.
    Kinda like when someone says they have a 6 or 7 foot ball python..... Pics or it didn't happen
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dylan815 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-02-2017)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast