Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,318

5 members and 3,313 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Registered User chocolatepudding's Avatar
    Thanks

Live Feeder Size

So my ball python has been fasting since August! I have tried feeding multiple occasions and his humidity and temp are perfect. He just has no interest.
    Just recently he has been losing weight and has dropped 100grams. I would really like to avoid live but I might need to try. He's at small rats now, what size prey should I get live?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    What is the weight of the snake? I tend to go below the 10% rule for feeding live. Actually I go by the head size and width of the neck. I have some ball pythons that grew pretty fast and are still young, so they don't really have the neck power to safely take a rat that's 10% of the weight. I also have some older females that were underfed and thin when I got them, but they were older snakes. They could easily take a rat 10% or even a bit bigger. I guess I'd go by the age of the snake too. But to be safe I'd feed at about 5% of the snake's weight. Some people don't feed live rodents above 70-80 grams. You could try feeding a rat crawler just to get him in the mood, then follow up with a bigger frozen thawed or pre killed. I was feeding all live for a bit until one of my snakes got bit pretty bad, now I tend to feed medium and large rats pre killed just to be safe.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 11-29-2017 at 12:56 AM.

Thanks

Re: Live Feeder Size

He's at around 1520 grams now. Also if I were to buy live rats, where can I get them? I am not sure if petco and PetSmart have them

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepudding View Post
    He's at around 1520 grams now. Also if I were to buy live rats, where can I get them? I am not sure if petco and PetSmart have them
    At that weight your BP can eat a large rat. But its not advisable to feed him large rat because after a while he will go off food again. Get him small or medium rat.

Thanks

I've read around this website that BP's should not eat larger than small rats? and just to give multiples?
    It would be easier to give one medium rat over 2 small ones.

Thanks

Mine has been doing the same. I finally got my male to eat again when I put a f/t rat in his cage on the warm side overnight. I put a dark towel over the entire cage and he actually ate it. I would keep trying before going live, like you said it can be dangerous even with monitoring the feed. If he was on f/t previously, he will go back to f/t.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    Adult males his size do great on one small rat per week and even then they will skip the occasional meal. More than that and you're just setting yourself up for more fasting, more poop, or both.

When they go into fasting mode, the first thing I do is go down a feeder size the first week after a refusal. If they still refuse, I back off offering that same smaller size to every other week for awhile. If still fasting, every 3rd or even 4th week until they pick back up again. When the husbandry's on point, here's no sense in trying week after week and reinforcing their pattern of refusal. A well-fed BP can easily go months without eating with little to no ill effects at all.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Registered User SiXandSeven8ths's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepudding View Post
    I've read around this website that BP's should not eat larger than small rats?
    That's what they keep saying.
    and just to give multiples?
    Don't know about that.
    It would be easier to give one medium rat over 2 small ones.
    Yeah, but everyone keeps saying males do just fine on 1 small rat per week.