Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,416

3 members and 3,413 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Tips for handling an adult RTB

Hi there!

I am a new large snake owner and have had my 5 foot red tail boa for about 6 weeks now. She seems friendly and has never struck or shown any signs of aggression. According to the woman I bought her from, she used to be used in an educational program for kids so is used to people. When handling her, she initially doesn't want to come out of her cage, but once she's out she's very curious and then doesn't want to go back in! I keep her around my neck and she's very active moving around and trying to check out the scene, but doesn't really seem tense unless she feels she's about to fall. She is so active that I actually have to be careful that there is nothing nearby she can hook her head around or slither into because she tries to get into whatever is nearby. Not sure if she's trying to get away from me or just being curious, lol.

I am actually a dancer/performer and hope to do performances with her in the future. I get worried since she is so active when I'm handling her that she might wrap around my neck. Basically I'm trying to learn how to handle her properly so she doesn't get into any awkward positions or try to get away while she's on me. I try to be gentle with her, but I want to be able to take the lead so I am guiding her, rather than the other way around. I supposed it will just come with time as we get more comfortable with each other but thought I'd post to see if anyone has any tips on this.

Side note, a lot of times when she's on my neck she will start climbing vertically straight into mid-air, she gets pretty high and will stay there for a little while. Is this normal and does it mean anything?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,867 Times in 4,781 Posts
    All of the behavior you're describing is normal and usually means the snake isn't thrilled with being on you and wishes to be somewhere else. Don't take it personally, snakes I've had for years and raised from babies act this way as well, since most tolerate rather than accept handling.

Getting them to do what you want is simply a matter of learning how to convince them that going where you want was their idea in the first place - kind of like herding cats.

Thanks

Re: Tips for handling an adult RTB

Your snake being 5 foot long is definitely a few years old. It appears it is comfortable in a relaxed and calm environment. So relaxed the previous owner used it as an ambassador to educate children on the beauty of such a wonderful creature. I'm not going to ask nor do I care what type of dancing or performances you do. I will caution you though that taking a mature snake out of it's comfort zone will result in a bad experience for your snake. If your snakes experience gets bad enough she will undoubtedly share her bad experience with you with a bite. Not sure if that is what you are looking for in your performance with her but no doubt your audience will have something to talk about and may even ask for an encore.

Thanks

LOL. I am a belly dancer and getting bit on stage is the LAST thing I would want. This is why I am trying to work with her beforehand so we can get comfortable with each other. I know of several dancers who dance with snakes and have never been bit while performing. I also have performed with a RTB (a different one) and a burmese python before and all went well. My boa, however, is more active when out of the cage than the previous ones I have handled, and I'm hoping she gets more calm with me over time.

@bcr229 I like the analogy of herding cats and convincing them that where I'm guiding them was their idea. Thanks for that. I just need some more time with her so I can get familiar with her habits.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,867 Times in 4,781 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aliamo View Post
    My boa, however, is more active when out of the cage than the previous ones I have handled, and I'm hoping she gets more calm with me over time.
    She may or may not. I have one, a hypo CA, that is happy to secure herself to one of your arms using her tail, then rest across your shoulders and stay put. I use her to introduce new folks to boas because she isn't squirrely at all, and being a CA she's just over five feet and not getting any bigger. OTOH a couple of my older - and larger - males do nothing but run when handled no matter how much or often I hold them.