Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,447

2 members and 3,445 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Registered User neocatlove(disabled)'s Avatar
    Thanks

Training a snake?

I know someone already laughed
    but honestly my snake keeps going up onto her hydrometer and it isn't safe for her! she is going to be too big and rip it off and hurt herself she stopped going onto her temperature measurer thingie because she fell too many times and i secured it better but i don't think i can the same way with this one but she keeps wrapping her self around it and going at her 'light' i don't know what it is it is a lamp that makes heat with no light anyways it is hot and i am afraid she is going to get burned so is there anyway to train her not to go onto it? i keep taking her off (gently!!!) every time she goes on it but she hates spraying in her cage so could i just spray her or something??? (not going to if thats really bad or something ) i don't know it makes me super paranoid i sit on my computer and EVERY 5-10 mins my head is swinging over to make sure she isn't on it which isn't fun and it has to stay up when i am in the room because i need to make sure the heating in my room isn't hurting her humidity (it hasn't in a while) but when i sleep or leave for a long time i take it down

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    The lamp sounds like a CHE? It should be on a thermostat. And if it is inside her cage where she can touch it, it should have a cage around it to prevent her from touching it.

Also, her hygrometer is stuck on something and rips off? You can just buy an Acurite hygrometer, and put it on the floor of the enclosure. It doesn't need to hang on the glass.

Maybe take a picture of her enclosure and post it?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-26-2017),MissterDog (11-26-2017),PokeyTheNinja (11-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    It sounds like you have one of the stick-on hydrometers. They're inaccurate as heck and eventually they will fall or be ripped off by your snake, but then it will stick very nicely to your snake. Replace it with the kind that has a probe as mentioned above.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (11-28-2017)

Thanks

Re: Training a snake?

Is your heat emitter inside the tank? Replace those stick on thermometers and hydrometers. As has already been said that CHE needs to be regulated, with a thermostat or dimmer. Really isn't a need to try to "train" her to not touch it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (11-28-2017)

Thanks
    It has been my experience (with pythons anyway) that training is not really possible. The few instances where it is believed training occurred (tap training for example) was more of us learning their behavior and modifying our own to work around it.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    You can modify their behavior slightly but like most predators, it is often food driven. With ball python it is also security driven. I have been able to both train my ball python to exit his enclosure and to differentiate between me and me with food. It takes way too long to say it is worthwhile however I can say however that it is possible to train pretty much anything... except a cat, forget those four legged monstrosities!

You are not going to train them not to crawl on something however, they are not dogs. Your best bet is to remove the distraction from the enclosure. Those stick on thermometers and hygrometers are like candy to most snakes. They will crawl over them and tear them off. They will also run the risk of tearing off the sticky part and getting it on themselves. That's another reason why most people here recommend throwing them away.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    Not sure what type of enclosure you have, but we have a melamine enclosure with a CHE and use this guard. It comes with the hardware and just screws into the ceiling of the enclosure (or wall if you have your CHE fixture off on one side as some do), and it has a spring latched bottom that opens for when the bulb needs to be changed. The CHE is plugged into a Zoomed thermostat to regulate the temp. The probe is fixed to the top of the hide beneath the CHE and the thermostat is set to a temp that allows a proper thermal gradient but doesn't allow the top of the hide (closest surface to the CHE) to ever approach a temp that could burn him. This way he can have ambient hot spot, belly heat, and back heat, and he does use all three to thermoregulate depending on what he feels like. We have two accurite hygro/thermometers, one on each end on the floor. The light source is a submersible LED bar meant for aquariums, that way it can be misted and never gets hot enough to harm him should he make his way up there. That's plugged into a timer on a 12/12 schedule.

As for cords, they're all run tight, high against the walls/along the cieling using these, but they are super-glued on instead of using the tape strips they come with.

Hope this has given you some ideas on how to noodle-proof your setup.
    Last edited by lizzieholla; 11-26-2017 at 07:10 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Idk about training a snake not to climb on stuff in it's enclosure but given recent discoveries and developments in captive reptile behavior and intelligence I'd refuse to believe that there isn't at least something that a snake could be trained to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Training a snake?

Quote Originally Posted by neocatlove View Post
    I know someone already laughed
    but honestly my snake keeps going up onto her hydrometer and it isn't safe for her! she is going to be too big and rip it off and hurt herself she stopped going onto her temperature measurer thingie because she fell too many times and i secured it better but i don't think i can the same way with this one but she keeps wrapping her self around it and going at her 'light' i don't know what it is it is a lamp that makes heat with no light anyways it is hot and i am afraid she is going to get burned so is there anyway to train her not to go onto it? i keep taking her off (gently!!!) every time she goes on it but she hates spraying in her cage so could i just spray her or something??? (not going to if thats really bad or something ) i don't know it makes me super paranoid i sit on my computer and EVERY 5-10 mins my head is swinging over to make sure she isn't on it which isn't fun and it has to stay up when i am in the room because i need to make sure the heating in my room isn't hurting her humidity (it hasn't in a while) but when i sleep or leave for a long time i take it down
    I'd actually encourage the climbing and put some branches in there tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro