Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,350

0 members and 3,350 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Fasting period

Thanks

Fasting period

Hey all just a little concerned about rocky my 5 year old male ball, the concern is he hasn’t eaten since the end of August this year, he’s already shred and his temps and humidity are all in the right areas. I give him defrosted mice but he’s just not interested in it but he’s in hunting once it’s the tub. I normally feed him at about 7.30pm and leave the mouse in till about 10pm.

When I feed him I wriggle the mouse so he strikes at it or sometimes I just leave it in his cool side and he’ll eat it in his own time, so should I be worried or is it normal oh and I’ve got a recent picture of him on my gallery

Thanks

Re: Fasting period

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Hey all just a little concerned about rocky my 5 year old male ball, the concern is he hasn’t eaten since the end of August this year, he’s already shred and his temps and humidity are all in the right areas. I give him defrosted mice but he’s just not interested in it but he’s in hunting once it’s the tub. I normally feed him at about 7.30pm and leave the mouse in till about 10pm.

When I feed him I wriggle the mouse so he strikes at it or sometimes I just leave it in his cool side and he’ll eat it in his own time, so should I be worried or is it normal oh and I’ve got a recent picture of him on my gallery
    A little late to reply I hope you are still here. Are you sure temperature and humidity are a correct? Just to be sure what are your temps and humidity? Also at 5 years he should be way past mice!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Thanks

I just had the same problem with my 3 year old male. He went 5 months till last night. I tried everything from scenting to pre-killed and nothing worked. Then last night after I held the rat with my tongs and he wasn't interested, I left the rat on the warm side overnight with a blanket or towel over the entire cage and he ate. I wouldn't be worried if he is not losing any weight. Wait another two weeks before trying again and try the blanket trick if he doesn't take it right away.

Thanks

Welcome to the world of ball pythons. It is almost a question of when they will fast, not if they will fast. Hang in there and don't sweat it. I've had fasting events from several snakes over the years. I've never had one that starved themselves to death. If you want to try, and I have done this before go get a live mouse and feed that. It's almost like it hits a reset button on them sometimes. Will your snake demand live prey from now on after you do this? Mine never did. Ymmv.