Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,443

2 members and 3,441 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    I'm betting the white around his eyes is the membrane swollen and irritated from him rubbing against things from the irritation the mites are causing him.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to salt For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (11-23-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Re: ring of white puffiness around eyes, and there are tiny small white bugs! :(

Quote Originally Posted by salt View Post
    I'm betting the white around his eyes is the membrane swollen and irritated from him rubbing against things from the irritation the mites are causing him.
    Yeppp combined with the baby mites themselves are actually white. Just a bunch of white nasty crap. Lol

Actually, I've been temporarily treating him with olive oil before the spray and PAM arrives, and the white swelling/stuff in general around his eyes got a TON better even just since yesterday. Unfortunately he's already a pretty dark brown, and I can't see if there are black adult mites on him, only the white ones.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 11-23-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: ring of white puffiness around eyes, and there are tiny small white bugs! :(

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Oh wow- yeah I will definitely treat at least 2 months. Also, I'm thinking possibly they were even on the shipping box and somehow made their way onto Jack awhile later, because I kept his shipping box this whole time in his room. :S

Also geez, how scary! Thanks for the heads up. I'm so paranoid of using PAM incorrectly, it being so poisonous.

Thanks for the info too, it helps a lot! I never thought I would have to deal with mites... I normally avoided reptile shows for this reason, but here I am lol.
    They probably were inside the box or on the snake when you got him. They wouldnt have survived outside the box i wouldnt think unless it is warm where you are. Up here in Washington State, its colder than a witches *** so mites wouldnt survive but then again, the snake probably wouldnt either lol.

Yeah PAM is potent stuff. Remember a little goes a long way with that stuff too. You dont need to go all crazy with spraying it. Think the instructions say 1 sec per 1 sq ft. I actually applied 1 shot of it to my other snakes the day i found them on Luna. Forgot to mentioned it. I just took out the water bowls and gave 2 quick left to right sprays in each AP cage and let it dry it about an hour and then put the snakes back in and left the water bowls out 24 hours. When i talked to Bob about it, he said you ca apply it to any substrate as long as it can dry. So aspen works but paper towel is the easiest as it dries fast, can be changed quickly and easy to spot dead mites on. So if you are really worried, you can just give a precautionary spray in each cage and wait an hour before putting the snakes back and leave the water bowls out for every for 24 hours. Also dont forget to do all the stuff with the outside of the cages too.

And also, if you have any type of feeder insects for other reptiles, be sure to move them or the fumes from the PAM will kill them. I had to move my dubia colony when i did or my beardie would have been very mad with me lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (11-23-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Yeppp combined with the baby mites themselves are actually white. Just a bunch of white nasty crap. Lol

Actually, I've been temporarily treating him with olive oil before the spray and PAM arrives, and the white swelling/stuff in general around his eyes got a TON better even just since yesterday. Unfortunately he's already a pretty dark brown, and I can't see if there are black adult mites on him, only the white ones.
    Take a damp white paper towel and wrap it around the snake and run it down his body and then look at the paper towel. You will be able to catch ones running on his body. Then you can see how many adults you catch lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Take a damp white paper towel and wrap it around the snake and run it down his body and then look at the paper towel. You will be able to catch ones running on his body. Then you can see how many adults you catch lol.
    Thanks for all the info Sauzo! Really good to know, and I'll follow what you've been doing.

I did that a little while ago except with a paper towel covered in olive oil, and surprisingly none came off. So there must be very few, maybe only just a ton of eggs and babies so far somewhere, so I caught it really early I guess.

There were two adult mites yesterday on the paper towel... For some reason, I just dropped them in the water bowl like a moron, thinking they would drown, but they vanished today. So I assume they crawled out and are stuck on Jack somewhere. Should've just killed them. :\
    Last edited by redshepherd; 11-23-2017 at 03:01 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    Well, I'm obviously watching this thread very closely. I'm so sorry you are going thru this. I have an untrained eye for mites but am watching mine like a hawk hoping to catch it early, assuming it came from the breeder.

Dang. 😫

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    Well, I'm obviously watching this thread very closely. I'm so sorry you are going thru this. I have an untrained eye for mites but am watching mine like a hawk hoping to catch it early, assuming it came from the breeder.

Dang. ��
    It's a good thing you only have one snake! But yeah, for me it could've also just been on his shipment box I never threw out, and only just hatched and made its way across the room to him... Anything is possible lol. I threw the box out now of course, but it's been there for a month.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 11-24-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks
    The PAM still hasn’t shipped yet and I ordered it on Wednesday, so I just covered the entire cage with reptile spray lmao. Jack is sitting in another empty box covered in reptile spray. :I The UTH is also covered in reptile spray. My hands are covered in reptile spray. Everything is covered in reptile spray.

I saw some young mites crawling on the OUTSIDE of his tub yesterday, which is why. Just grand lol. I've actually only ever found two adults, which are now gone (one killed, no idea where the other went), but I see a lot of babies and juvies(?) light brown ones.

Does anyone know how long reptile spray lasts if I just let it dry on a surface? Or does it only kill mites when wet, unlike PAM?
    Last edited by redshepherd; 11-24-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Reptile Spray doesn't persist, once it's dry it loses its effectiveness pretty quickly.

Frontline is another option for killing mites, see video:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (11-24-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Reptile Spray doesn't persist, once it's dry it loses its effectiveness pretty quickly.

Frontline is another option for killing mites, see video:
    Thanks for the vid! Is frontline worth getting if I already have reptile spray? So it lasts on the snake for an extended period even after drying?

Is this the right product? https://www.chewy.com/frontline-spra...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast