Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,314

1 members and 3,313 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Should I Breed My Undocumented Carpet Python?

So i was browsing morph market, looking at Jag carpets as you do. And this Jag happened to catch my eye, and as it happens the Dam was an undocumented Carpet. Which made me wonder if it would be a good idea to breed my Carpet in the future, I think as long as she colors up fine I don't see a problem. I'd sell them as outcrosses or intergrades or whatever you call the mutts. I can really only see a problem if people try to sell the intergrades as pure carpets, but i know some people here are breeders what do you guys think?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Intergrade and siblings are hard to sell and if you have no clue on the percentage it's even harder.

Do you want to be stuck with 15/25 hatchlings that you can't sell because most carpet owner actually do mind bout lineage and percentage?

I used to breed carpets a few years back, I stopped because too many people started to breed just whatever and not having a clue and even then while I was producing animals that were 75% IJ Jag and Siblings those were not an easy sell.

I am getting back into carpet this year but no more intergrade only pure Darwin Albinos, I have no issue with intergrade when done right and when people actually know the lineage and percentage, I have an issue however with most of the carpets out there, there are only very few people I would deal with when it comes to carpet because of that.

Of course if you do show and people are impulse buying they probably won't care so long they know the species but those are the minority.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Should I Breed My Undocumented Carpet Python?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Intergrade and siblings are hard to sell and if you have no clue on the percentage it's even harder.

Do you want to be stuck with 15/25 hatchlings that you can't sell because most carpet owner actually do mind bout lineage and percentage?

I used to breed carpets a few years back, I stopped because too many people started to breed just whatever and not having a clue and even then while I was producing animals that were 75% IJ Jag and Siblings those were not an easy sell.

I am getting back into carpet this year but no more intergrade only pure Darwin Albinos, I have no issue with intergrade when done right and when people actually know the lineage and percentage, I have an issue however with most of the carpets out there, there are only very few people I would deal with when it comes to carpet because of that.

Of course if you do show and people are impulse buying they probably won't care so long they know the species but those are the minority.
    Yeah, you're right. It's a pretty big gamble and it probably won't be worth it