Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,316

4 members and 3,312 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Why isn't Kia eating?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but i need some assistance. My female BP is going into shed as her eyes are cloudy, but she isn't eating. This is the first time in a couple of months that she hasn't ate. My cousin has had a look at her and said she could be pregnant as she has gained quite alot of weight in the past couple of weeks. How can that be when i have never bred her? She is pretty damn fat to be honest. I know BPs can go off food for a while, but not sure if this is the start. I have rubbed the rat on her head, rested it on her body and made it really warm, and nothing. She even slithers past it like it aint there. I have left it in her tub for the past couple of hours now. Should i throw it away and try again tomorrow? Or leave it there for abit longer? I'm just confused and her big increase in weight has me scratching my head! Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    It is good husbandry to avoid offering food when a ball python is in blue and to just not offer until the next feeding schedule after they actually shed.

You would also do best to start weighing your ball python to find out more accurately how much they weight and what size prey might do best. How old is your BP and how often do you feed and what size/type of prey?

Never actually rub, lay, place, or otherwise touch prey onto a ball python. This is close to simulating a prey attacking a ball python and it's not exactly the best thing to reduce stress while feeding.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Re: Why isn't Kia eating?

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    It is good husbandry to avoid offering food when a ball python is in blue and to just not offer until the next feeding schedule after they actually shed.

You would also do best to start weighing your ball python to find out more accurately how much they weight and what size prey might do best. How old is your BP and how often do you feed and what size/type of prey?

Never actually rub, lay, place, or otherwise touch prey onto a ball python. This is close to simulating a prey attacking a ball python and it's not exactly the best thing to reduce stress while feeding.
    She has eaten while in shed before, so i thought nothing of it. She weighs a little over 1600(around 300g increase in a couple of weeks) and i was told she is 3 years old. I feed her a medium rat every Friday like i have been doing for the past few months. The rats have never been wider than her girth.

Thanks

It's normal for snakes not to eat while they are in shed, I'd wait until she sheds and then offer food.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Pythons View Post
    It's normal for snakes not to eat while they are in shed, I'd wait until she sheds and then offer food.
    Had no problems before and just thought she would be fine as she ate during previous sheds. Should i wait til next feeding day then?

Thanks
    1600 isn't bad at all for a 3 year old female. Just hold off until your next normal feeding after shedding is done.

Thanks

1600 isn't bad at all for a 3 year old female. Just hold off until your next normal feeding after shedding is done.
    She was just over 1300 only a couple of weeks ago and this weight gain has me confused as it's the biggest gain since i have had her. Is it possible for a snake to retain sperm(i know they can hold sperm for up to 2 years) and fall pregnant at a later date? Maybe a stupid question, but if they can retain it, maybe they can use it anytime they want. Lol.

Thanks
    Medium rats generally way somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 grams each. When was the last time she pooped?

Thanks

Medium rats generally way somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 grams each. When was the last time she pooped?
    Not long ago. Lol. Last one was Sunday i think.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

a skipped meal or two (or fast even) will not hurt a healthy, nicely sized BP.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocksy View Post
    She was just over 1300 only a couple of weeks ago and this weight gain has me confused as it's the biggest gain since i have had her. Is it possible for a snake to retain sperm(i know they can hold sperm for up to 2 years) and fall pregnant at a later date? Maybe a stupid question, but if they can retain it, maybe they can use it anytime they want. Lol.
    yes, they can retain sperm. that's why it's important to know your snake's history and the breeder's rep. was she breed @1300grams (or less)? if she was, she actually coulda been much smaller when she was initially bred, before u got her. that would not have been best practice or a good idea by any breeder standard to breed a small female.

Edit: go back and ask. hopefully she wasn't bred and that she's off feed b/c she's a BP and BP's are fickle like that.
    Last edited by Ax01; 11-17-2017 at 04:57 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast