Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,303

2 members and 1,301 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Can a bp prefer rats to mice?

So my freezer failed a few days ago without my knowing. Yesterday, when I went to grab Viago's rat pup, it was defrosted and leaking nasties. Threw it out and as it was my last one, decided to grab some more the next morning.

Well, this aft I went to the closest pet store and asked for two rat pups, came home to find two adult mice wrapped in a bag. I was a bit frustrated, but figured I'd try feeding it anyway even though it was a bit small for Viggy at this point. I'd heard a lot of bps prefer mice to rats and I was a little worried that if he took this mouse, I'd have trouble getting him back on rats.

So I thawed the mouse out exactly as I do my rat pups. Ziplock bag in warm water for about 15-20 minutes, then under the che for another 10 to get it nice and warm. Viago was out and about as usual but not eagerly looking through the screen at the food as he usually does.

TL;DR, he would not take the mouse. I tried the zombie dance, holding it different ways for him, leaving it in his terrarium for 15 or so minutes, he was not interested. He sniffed it and seemed to know it was a food item but didn't strike at all.

I'm not too worried about his weight or anything and I do plan on going to my regular supplier tomorrow for actual rat pups, but I'm wondering if it's unusual for a BP to prefer rats to mice? He's been on f/t his entire life so far and had at least 5 consecutive rat pup meals before I bought him. After almost two months now of having him, this is the first meal hes rejected. Thoughts?

EDIT: should also mention there hasn't been any change in husbandry since his last feeding 9 days ago. Temps are 89-90 on the hot spot, 80-81 on the cool side, about 55% humidity, all measured with digital thermometers/hygrometer and his UTH controlled by a thermostat.
    Last edited by honeybee; 11-14-2017 at 03:42 AM.
    - Melissa - instagram @perkyjawa
    pastel het pied ball python - Viago
    1.0.1 crested geckos - Poe & Wicket
    2.0 fire-bellied toads - Malgus & Morgoth
    0.1 kitty cat - Wanda
    1.0 german shepherd - Sarge
    1.0 bichon shihtzu - Roscoe

Thanks

Re: Can a bp prefer rats to mice?

like any animals beeps can grow into preferences. He's been on rats his wole life, so logically he only associates rat scent with food.

Sent from my LG-M151 using Tapatalk