Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,167

0 members and 3,167 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Beautiful New Female

Hey guys, so today I picked up my first boa constrictor and I’ve already fallen in love with her. I’ve always had ball pythons growing up and to have a snake as inquisitive and adventurous as her is a blessing from what I’m used to.

Unfortunately, I have zero information on her history so I’m hoping you guys could help me make some informed guesses based off what little info I have. I’m assuming she is just a common boa, not sure of BCC vs BCI. I did a rough measurement and she is 30-35 inches long and has been feeding on f/t adult mice. I don’t have her birthdate so that’s a complete toss up. I plan to weigh her in the coming days once she’s become more acclimated with the move. If you all can give me any information on her from what you can see in pictures, that would be greatly appreciated!

Hopefully a name to come soon. I might go with a Greek goddess name. Or I could keep with the Game of Thrones characters and name her Khaleesi. Who knows, this is always the hardest part of owning a pet for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    1.0 Chocolate Lab/Weimeraner (Gunner)
    0.1 Black Pewter het Albino (Arya)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Codil7 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (11-11-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Beautiful New Female

Congrats on your new addition, she is beautiful. Although I am not the person who can tell you what type of boa she is exactly, I am sure someone here who knows will chime in soon.

I myself am a big BP lover but I recently just purchased a Hog Island Boa and now im thinking why did i wait so long to add her to my collection? She is such a sweetheart and becoming one of my favorites. As far as names, I would recommend one that you like and makes you smile every time you look at her. I named my boa Raina which means Queen in Latin.
    All the best my friend!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

Codil7 (11-11-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    Congrats on your new addition, she is beautiful. Although I am not the person who can tell you what type of boa she is exactly, I am sure someone here who knows will chime in soon.

I myself am a big BP lover but I recently just purchased a Hog Island Boa and now im thinking why did i wait so long to add her to my collection? She is such a sweetheart and becoming one of my favorites. As far as names, I would recommend one that you like and makes you smile every time you look at her. I named my boa Raina which means Queen in Latin.
    All the best my friend!
    My thoughts exactly! I love my BPs but if there’s one thing I could change, it would be that I got a boa much much sooner. So much personality to them. I’m excited to see the feeding response as well. Those Hog Islands are beautiful no doubt. It was actually what I was aiming to get in the first place. But the heart wants what it wants and I fell in love with her without warning. Love the name you picked!

1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks
    Congratulations! She is beautiful! Definitely a joy to handle compared to Ball Pythons, isn't she? I would say she is probably a BCI and judging by her size, I would guess that she is probably around 18 months old. All of the speckling and her blue eyes make me think she might have something going on with her genes, but I couldn't tell you what...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

Codil7 (11-11-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    Congratulations! She is beautiful! Definitely a joy to handle compared to Ball Pythons, isn't she? I would say she is probably a BCI and judging by her size, I would guess that she is probably around 18 months old. All of the speckling and her blue eyes make me think she might have something going on with her genes, but I couldn't tell you what...
    So much more enjoyable to handle! Like night and day. Her colorations have really thrown me for a loop like you said. Such an immense amount of speckling. The camera doesn’t pick it up very well but she has a very large amount of pink that runs the sides of her body as well. Very interesting looking snake to say the least.

1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Banned
    Thanks
    there is no such thing as a boa constrictor imperator.

there are boa constrictors and there are boa imperators

Thanks
    I think most people are aware of the reclassification by now... BCI/BI... BCC/BC... Nonetheless, they are both Boa Constrictors no matter how you say it...

Banned
    Thanks

I think most people are aware of the reclassification by now... BCI/BI... BCC/BC... Nonetheless, they are both Boa Constrictors no matter how you say it...
    wait, what? the entire point of the reclassification is that they are no longer subspecies and so are in actuality not both under the 'constrictor' umbrella

so your point is that they've been reclassified but are in spite of that actually what they were before being reclassified? lol

they are not both boa constrictors no matter how you say it. herpetologists who study genetic and other differences in animals and how these relate to their taxonomic grouping have established and reached consensus of this fact

so, no. they're not.

Thanks
    I'm afraid, yes... Yes, they are... An Imperator is merely a species of Boa Constrictor from a different locale. I think a lot of people would agree with that. Should we also split hairs and no longer consider Super Dwarf Retics to be Reticulated Pythons simply because they are a smaller species from a different locale? Regardless, I think most people on here are quite aware of the differences between Imperator and Red Tail Boas, whether we split hairs and refer to them as BCI/BI or BCC/BC. The "reclassification" is old news and i've talked with a lot of people much more knowledgeable than myself, who disagree with it...

Banned
    Thanks

I'm afraid, yes... Yes, they are... An Imperator is merely a species of Boa Constrictor from a different locale. I think a lot of people would agree with that. Should we also split hairs and no longer consider Super Dwarf Retics to be Reticulated Pythons simply because they are a smaller species from a different locale? Regardless, I think most people on here are quite aware of the differences between Imperator and Red Tail Boas, whether we split hairs and refer to them as BCI/BI or BCC/BC. The "reclassification" is old news and i've talked with a lot of people much more knowledgeable than myself, who disagree with it...
    no they're not. if they were they would have remained a subspecies. [personal attack removed]
    Last edited by Eric Alan; 11-12-2017 at 05:27 PM. Reason: TOS Violation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast