Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,300

1 members and 3,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Pairing/breeding Experience

So I have decided to breed my male Banana Coral Glow Butter Pastel with either a Queen Bee or a Queen Spin. I would like to know if anyone has done this pairing, or something close, and what was their experience? Or what do people think of this pairing.

Thanks

Re: Pairing/breeding Experience

I think you're going to produce more snakes that the market is flooded with already and have a tough time selling them if you're planning to do so.
    Go see how many banana combos dynasty reptiles has for cheap money, it's all banana spider/butter/pastel combos.

Sorry I'm just trying to be realistic, if I were you I'd breed to a higher end codom gene like ghi, bamboo, or something that not a lot of people are producing/selling. If you're not planning on selling most of the offspring then produce whatever catches your eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ballday For This Useful Post:

Brownspidey (11-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Actually it comes down to supply and demand. Just go onto Morphmarket and look at all the snakes that have sold. Most of them are sub $500 snakes. If you want to sell a lot more snakes I'd suggest selling cheaper snakes, the combo you mention is good. Not many people can shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars for higher end stuff. Most people want a pet snake and banana / spider / pastel is a good place to start in my opinion. That's the 'bread and butter' of the ball python pet market. Not many people produce higher end stuff because I think it's harder to sell. Actually my ideal pet snake on the lower end would be a banana spider. If you look at the big breeders they produce babies to satisfy the market. They have most low end stuff, some stuff in the middle, and just a few high end snakes. That mirrors the demand. Don't get discouraged that big breeders that have thousands of snakes for sale, they do sell them every year or they wouldn't be in business!
    Last edited by cchardwick; 11-08-2017 at 11:31 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Brownspidey (11-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    Actually it comes down to supply and demand. Just go onto Morphmarket and look at all the snakes that have sold. Most of them are sub $500 snakes. If you want to sell a lot more snakes I'd suggest selling cheaper snakes, the combo you mention is good. Not many people can shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars for higher end stuff. Most people want a pet snake and banana / spider / pastel is a good place to start in my opinion. That's the 'bread and butter' of the ball python pet market. Not many people produce higher end stuff because I think it's harder to sell. Actually my ideal pet snake on the lower end would be a banana spider. If you look at the big breeders they produce babies to satisfy the market. They have most low end stuff, some stuff in the middle, and just a few high end snakes. That mirrors the demand. Don't get discouraged that big breeders that have thousands of snakes for sale, they do sell them every year or they wouldn't be in business!
    I somewhat agree with you and like your positive outlook but I’m not sure how many babies you’ve sold but they don’t sell near as easily as some think, cheap or expensive. I have not started selling mine yet but I have a good friend that breeds quite a few and the thing is, you better be ready to feed all your babies for at least a few months because they just don’t sell as fast as people think. My main limiting factor on how many I produce is based on how many rats I can produce. If your not breeding your own rats I would not plan on breeding ball pythons to make money. The cost to feed them will eat up your profits before you can even sell them. IMO, I’d rather produce less quantity and higher quality. I won’t sell as many as fast but it allows me to make what I want and not have hundreds of mouths to feed.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Brownspidey (11-08-2017),JodanOrNoDan (11-08-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not the smartest pairing IMO, there are snakes that will be hard if not impossible to tell what they are which means you will have to undersell them (talking about any Supers that may have something else in it), I would also not recommend anything that may produce a Super Butter or Super Lesser or the combination of both.

As someone who has produced and sold animals for a little over 10 years now I can tell you that when it comes to Spiders there has been a shift over the last several years, one because it's over used two because more and more people have decided that a wobbly snake was not for them, based on those I actually have moved away from Spiders all together for at least 3 years and I have no regrets.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-08-2017),Brownspidey (11-08-2017),Seven-Thirty (11-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    If your not breeding your own rats I would not plan on breeding ball pythons to make money. The cost to feed them will eat up your profits before you can even sell them.
    While I agree with a lot of what you said. If you look around you can find quality feeders at reasonable prices. I buy my rats and feed over 50 adult balls plus holdbacks. And I buy simply because I pay less per rat that it cost me to raise them ( after you factor in my time, almost the same per actual cost. I only pay $1.50 per medium rat)
    Back to the op. I would try to find a nice recessive project for your male if it were me
    Last edited by StillBP; 11-08-2017 at 01:08 PM.
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StillBP For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-08-2017),Brownspidey (11-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StillBP View Post
    While I agree with a lot of what you said. If you look around you can find quality feeders at reasonable prices. I buy my rats and feed over 50 adult balls plus holdbacks. And I buy simply because I pay less per rat that it cost me to raise them ( after you factor in my time, almost the same per actual cost. I only pay $1.50 per medium rat)
    Back to the op. I would try to find a nice recessive project for your male if it were me
    Financially there is really no comparison, I produce 100s of rats and a smaller number of mice for the new hatchlings and it only cost me $30 a month for bedding and food plus one hour a week labor. So unless you consider your hourly labor rate in the $100s, it is much much cheaper to produce your own feeders. Now with that said, I agree it can be done, I just think it would be a lot harder to turn a profit with the higher overhead of purchasing feeders.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-08-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Not the smartest pairing IMO, there are snakes that will be hard if not impossible to tell what they are which means you will have to undersell them (talking about any Supers that may have something else in it), I would also not recommend anything that may produce a Super Butter or Super Lesser or the combination of both.

As someone who has produced and sold animals for a little over 10 years now I can tell you that when it comes to Spiders there has been a shift over the last several years, one because it's over used two because more and more people have decided that a wobbly snake was not for them, based on those I actually have moved away from Spiders all together for at least 3 years and I have no regrets.
    Do you have any recommendations on what will pair well with my male BP? I am only looking into purchasing only two females, since I am not looking to really make this into a business but more of a hobby. But I do understand that I cannot keep all off the baby BPs I produce and I would need to sell what I don't intend on keeping for myself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StillBP View Post

Do you have any recommendations on recessive morphs that would would be fun to work with?

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    You need a pattern changer so you can tell them apart. If its not spider, I think i would go for a Super Enchi or an Enchi Pinstripe.

http://www.worldofballpythons.com/wi...2&female=57,84
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 11-08-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-08-2017),Brownspidey (11-08-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast