Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,466

2 members and 3,464 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What would you do?

I recently acquired a leopard pastel 66% het clown male and want some opinions on a female.
    I was thinking of rolling the dice and purchasing a 100% het sub adult with another codom gene. Or playing it safe and getting a visual baby female clown but I wouldn't be able to breed her for at least 2 years. obviously the chances of me producing visual clowns is much higher with a visual female but I'd have to wait a longer period of time rather then picking up a sub adult and most likely be able to breed next year. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    That's a great question! There are two sides to the coin, one is if you shell out the money now for a visual male and visual female the payoff will be higher because all the offspring will be visuals. But with that same money you could buy quite a few more hets and produce more offspring and get a variety of really cool morphs that could potentially be out of your price range. The other thing you have to think about is caging. If you buy a rack and fill it with hets it's not going to return as much as if you had all visuals. Personally I'd rather save up my money and buy visuals slowly one at a time.

I've also seen other people fill a whole rack with 'possible het clown' females, supposedly some people think they have a way to tell if they are het for sure and can get them really cheap. I bought a possible het pied bumblebee, now that it's mature I won't get the payout of all pied babies, but it was a cheap snake to begin with. Like the old saying goes, 'the sting of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of the low purchase price'. If you are going with all hets I'd buy them with other genes that are rare or non-existant or high priced in the visual so the potential payout is higher. It also works if you want to move projects forward. Some people go after the money, some do it for fun, but a lot of people go after the worlds first moving the whole industry forward. I prefer to do a little of each!
    Last edited by cchardwick; 11-07-2017 at 02:10 PM.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Depends on how much money you have to spend. It is always better to have a visual if you can afford it. Especially since you don't know for sure that the animal you have now actually has clown or not. Even if it does and you go against another het, there is no way to know the babies carry any clown unless they are visual babies. If no visuals hatch, you still cannot be sure the male has clown or not even if the female is a visual.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 11-07-2017 at 02:13 PM.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    If it were me, I'd go with a visual female.

Not only will you feel more comfortable about whether your male is a het or not after only one clutch (better odds to produce visual Clowns), the worst possible result from a pairing involving the visual female is that you end up with guaranteed het Clowns to either raise up or sell.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks

Re: What would you do?

I would stick with purchasing the visual female. If your goal is to produce visuals, its always best to go with what will give you the higher chances. Even if it means spending more money.

Thanks

I know for sure my male is het as his clutch mates were visual clowns. I'd be willing to spend around 500$ on a female visual baby but for the same price I can grab a super pastel blade het clown that's just about sub adult size.

But I don't want to be stuck with all possibly het clown babies that can't sell, which I'm sure some would considering some would be leopard, pastel and whatever else I decide to throw in the mix.

I'm leaning more towards a visual clown just for the chances of producing visual clowns is higher, but waiting 2-3 years is no fun.

Thanks

Sorry didn't mean to say he is for sure het, 66% but some of his clutch mates were visuals

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ballday View Post
    I know for sure my male is het as his clutch mates were visual clowns. I'd be willing to spend around 500$ on a female visual baby but for the same price I can grab a super pastel blade het clown that's just about sub adult size.

But I don't want to be stuck with all possibly het clown babies that can't sell, which I'm sure some would considering some would be leopard, pastel and whatever else I decide to throw in the mix.

I'm leaning more towards a visual clown just for the chances of producing visual clowns is higher, but waiting 2-3 years is no fun.

Maybe I read your post incorrectly, but I read your male as being 66% het which means that the animal has a 66% chance of being het. The only way a snake can be 100% het is if one of the parents is a visual. It does not matter if every animal in his clutch was a visual he could still not be het clown if one of the parents was not a visual clown.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (11-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    THIS is what I would do if I were you. You can get a lemon blast (pastel pinstripe) het clown in your price range. If you do hit the visual lemon blast clown they are selling for $2,000 to $3,000. You could use that money to buy more snakes LOL. If it doesn't prove out the first year I would get a visual male and try again the next year. Personally I would have done it the other way around, get a visual male and breed him to up to 5 het females.

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...-pythons/95672

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...-pythons/43750
    Last edited by cchardwick; 11-07-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks

I think by getting a 66% het I should go with a visual maybe a pastel/blade. If I got a 100% het I'd be willing to roll the dice and get a 100% female.
    Fortunately he does have leopard and I have a couple other females if he doesn't prove out I can still make some cool looking stuff.
    Whatever I get from him and a visual clown will atleast all be het clown so I can breed them back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast