Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,186

5 members and 3,181 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Snakes without heating

I've been looking for some more snakes but I don't have enough outlets for heat mats and I don't think my old outlets could handle a power strip so i'm stuck looking for snakes that don't need heating. I've heard corns don't need heat if your house is warm enough but that could be false. My room is usually 78-82 degrees during the days and 72-76 during the evening. It seems fine for a native US snake IMO but I wanted to make sure with you guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    If you can't supply a cold blooded reptile with internal cage heating, get a warm blooded one. Hamster, cat, capybara, the list is almost endless.

That is unless you live in the southern tip of Florida. If that is the case, go right ahead.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    That's good enough for a corn, they like temps a bit lower than ball pythons.

72-82° in your room???!! How do you do that lmao.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

Thanks

Re: Snakes without heating

It's not much of a need though. I was just wondering as I could still setup a heating system but I just wanted to know if there were snakes I could keep without one. Also I wish I could get a capybara but it's a little harder to get one of those than just redoing my electric lol. Also, I live in the southern-ish part of Texas so pretty similar.
    Last edited by Rhys; 11-06-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks

I don't lol. I'm usually pretty warm but I'd deal with it for my animals sake! Could a king work or any other similarly kept colubrid? I had read that corns could be kept room temp but not other species of similar climate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    I've been looking for some more snakes but I don't have enough outlets for heat mats and I don't think my old outlets could handle a power strip so i'm stuck looking for snakes that don't need heating. I've heard corns don't need heat if your house is warm enough but that could be false. My room is usually 78-82 degrees during the days and 72-76 during the evening. It seems fine for a native US snake IMO but I wanted to make sure with you guys.
    Not to go into a whole bunch of electricity stuff, an electrical outlet is not the determining factor what it can handle. Any outlet can handle a power strip. It is the breaker that is the determing factor. A breaker can be pushed to it's max load but that is never ever advisable. Circuit breakers are rated at 80% continuous load. If the only load on the circuit being fed by a single 20 amp breaker are 8 watt UTH's, that circuit could safely and continuously handle 200 heat mats. That is not a misprint, 200 eight watt heat mats would be just a tad over the output of a microwave oven or hair dryer. Don't ever over load a circuit but at the same time don't think a power strip will overload a correctly wired wall outlet. It's what is plugged into that strip. The thick cable on power strips were put on them for a reason. Calculating total load on a circuit is easy. See what you come up with and go from there. Just remember the 80% rule and you will be fine as long as your house wiring is up to the task. Also with cold weather upon most of us, insulating enclosures goes a long ways and allows low wattage heat sources to work well. I figured out many years ago those Mylar emergency blankets are about useless to use in the field. I quickly realized though they can work great to insulate my snake enclosures in the winter. If Mylar was good enough for NASA it's good enough for my snakes.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momokahn For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-08-2017),o.r hill (11-06-2017)

Thanks

you'd be looking at a corn or possibly native garter.

Sent from my LG-M151 using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pezz For This Useful Post:

Rhys (11-06-2017)

Thanks

I'm not sure about snakes but you might be able to do a Crestie. People keep em at room temps

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

o.r hill (11-06-2017),Rhys (11-06-2017)

Thanks

How about a Black Milk Snake? We keep ours between 68 to 76 degrees and they thrive. Any warmer and they seem to have problems.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to piedpiperballs For This Useful Post:

Alicia (11-08-2017)

Thanks

Thanks! I might need to get a power strip! Any smaller species you recommend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast