Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,454

2 members and 3,452 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Do you feed in or out of the enclosure?

I started feeding in a separate tub at the direction of the guy at the reptile shop I bought the snake at. it was my first snake, I had no experience, and doing as I was told- without any issues except it took forever (removing, letting her settle in, then feeding and waiting for her settle down again before putting her back). So naturally when I added the next 5 to my collection I fed all of them in separate tubs - again without any issues, except it took an hour or so.

I guess my biggest worry was impaction from ingesting bedding. I decided to feed in their enclosures 2 weeks ago after watching countless Brian Barczyk/Viperkeeper vlogs of their snakes eating, reading about everyone that feeds in enclosures without issue, and it seemed to go flawlessly for me as well. Not to mention cut the time it took immensely, which was very nice.

Now will I say it's mandatory, no. Maybe I was lucky....I don't know...I'm no expert. But I'm happy they are now eating in enclosures, if for nothing but the time it saves me with my ever expanding collection.
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-07-2017)

Thanks
    In enclosure for all of my snakes. I've tried feeding out several times, and none of the snakes I did it with seemed to mind, but there's no reason to keep doing it. The only time I've ever found it beneficial is occasionally feeding hatchling Western Hogs in a cup. Being in a small container sometimes seems to help them smell/find the prey better, but they've all gotten too big for that trick to work.

As far as training snakes not to expect food when you open the cage, just make sure you go in there for other reasons just as often as you go in to feed them. I've made it a habit to check on all my snakes either a few days before, or a few days after feeding. I hold them briefly, clean up any messes, and put them back. Haven't had a problem with them thinking I'm food, unless I handled rodents just before that and forgot to wash my hands.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Guessing it's common knowledge but when feeding in viv - any concerns about ingesting substrate can be allayed by simply placing a couple of pieces of card down and feeding over the card ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-07-2017),Godzilla78 (11-07-2017),vivi (04-05-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Always in the enclosure.

There's really no reason to feed outside the enclosure, only risks.
    I have one sand boa who I feed outside of his tub because he won't eat in his tub. I've tried dozens of times to feed in his tub but he refuses. Put him in a small container and he immediately goes for the food. I have to disagree that there are only risks when feeding out of the tub. It also depends on the size of the snake.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Then they can come around to us and feed my Kings in a separate container ... I'll video it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Zincubus, let me preface this by saying I have gotten to "know" you pretty well through this forum and I have nothing but the utmost respect for you, so please don't take this in a negative way. I don't think you will, but wanted the disclaimer out there....
    I always get a chuckle when you discuss your Kings' feeing responses. I can almost picture you (without having a clue what you look like) feeding your Kings and just love the image I have created in my head, Hahahaha!!! Anyway, hope you took that the way I meant it. You're one of the people on the forum I have 100% respect for and would never mean to give you anything but the compliments you deserve....

Like most Kings, my boy Django has that insane feeding response, so I completely get what you're saying. I just open his enclosure with his mouse close by and he's all kinds of fired up and there are times he comes flying out the top to get his prey. It's hilarious!!! So, I get it. I just dangle and let him do his thing. Sometimes he'll miss more than once, sometimes he'll strike at a shadow, sometimes he'll try to strike me through the glass.... it's hilarious to me. I love my crazy boy to death and his feeding response is part of what I love about him.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (11-07-2017),Zincubus (11-07-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Now, to answer the OP question: Always INSIDE the enclosure. I have experience with both in and out, but it has been over 15 years since I fed outside the enclosure. I was young, new and still learning way back then (though still learning today too, there's ALWAYS more to learn ) and have since dispelled the "myths" about feeding outside the enclosure through my own experience as well as plenty of research.

So, in conclusion, through years of experience and research I see NO benefit to feeding outside the enclosure. Granted, there are exceptions to every rule, I personally haven't found the exception to this rule.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (11-07-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Now, to answer the OP question: Always INSIDE the enclosure. I have experience with both in and out, but it has been over 15 years since I fed outside the enclosure. I was young, new and still learning way back then (though still learning today too, there's ALWAYS more to learn ) and have since dispelled the "myths" about feeding outside the enclosure through my own experience as well as plenty of research.

So, in conclusion, through years of experience and research I see NO benefit to feeding outside the enclosure. Granted, there are exceptions to every rule, I personally haven't found the exception to this rule.
    I only have one girl that breaks the rule. I got her as an adult that only ate live. I tried every known method to get her to eat FT. Nothing worked. So, I decided to establish a pattern to get her to eat. I would throw her in another tub let her see a live rat and get her good and fired up. Then I would drop the rat in and boom. I then started doing the same thing with FT. Eventually I got her eating FT in her own tub, but every year, after she drops her eggs I have to go through the same thing to get her eating in her tub again.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I only have one girl that breaks the rule. I got her as an adult that only ate live. I tried every known method to get her to eat FT. Nothing worked. So, I decided to establish a pattern to get her to eat. I would throw her in another tub let her see a live rat and get her good and fired up. Then I would drop the rat in and boom. I then started doing the same thing with FT. Eventually I got her eating FT in her own tub, but every year, after she drops her eggs I have to go through the same thing to get her eating in her tub again.
    There's the exception to the rule. Thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks

So how do all of you BP vets recommend feeding LIVE inside the enclosure? Just curious, as I am planning to feed live in the next couple weeks.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Don't stress the rat out. Drop it in. Cover the top of the enclosure. Watch to make sure nothing goes wrong. Have a set of tongs ready for if it does.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

maausen (11-07-2017)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast