Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,294

2 members and 3,292 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Do I have a piggy beep or am I underfeeding?

Coco had a great shed Friday night and in general has had a terrific feeding response! She also seems to have gotten very excited since I switched her to rat fuzzies. I feed her every 7 days. When she's in her hide, I announce my presence by tapping her tub lightly, and if she's in her hide, very carefully tapping her hide, then waving her food over the hide. She usually pops out of her hide, and snags her food within 10 seconds. I tend to leave her in peace after she's stuck and wrapped her food, and I check every couple minutes to see where she is in eating. Once she's swallowed the rat and I check on her, when she sees me, she strikes a pose and seems to want another rat.

Even this morning (14+ hours after feeding)I was adjusting my VE Thermostat clock, I didn't touch her tub or hide, and she heard the clicking and popped her little head out of her hide and was all "Food....Mama you have food for me? Please! FOOOD! Yes!" (ok probably not but her posture was excited, lol!)

When I weighed her a week ago she was around 86grams. And the rat fuzzies have been between 8-10 grams. I've seen her take long drinks of water, and her humidity is between 60-70%, ambient between 75-80, hotspot 88-91.

Long winded lead up, though do I have piggy, or am I underfeeding / should I feed her every 5 days instead of 7?

Thanks everyone!

Thanks
    That's just called 'hunting mode', even when a snake is done eating and is full, they will continue to 'hunt'. Ball pythons are opportunistic feeders. This means they will eat when they can, if they can. It's up to you as a responsible owner not to overfeed.
    About the excitedness when fixing the clock, that may just be conditioning. She associates tapping with 'food time', so she just may have thought it was time to eat when she heard the thermostat.

Also, I would try not to bother her while and after she is eating, disturbance can lead to regurgitation. And it's good way to get bit if she's still in hunting mode
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PythonBabes For This Useful Post:

Quahog (11-05-2017)

Thanks
    I know better than to try to touch / go near her after eating, LOL. I just look at her to make sure she ate alright

And as I am typing this, she poked her head out, lol!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    You can feed her a rat fuzzy every 5 days, if she will take it! She’s still hatchling size and can eat more often.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Quahog (11-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks Red I'll also make sure I don't end up doing this to her, haha!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    When Dottie was a 100g worm, she ate every 3-5 days. She was a pig and would literally stand up like a cobra when you opened the cage. Then after 6 months, I dropped her down to every week. Then at 1000g weight, she quit eating for a few months. This past winter, she didn't eat for 6 months. Then this summer and even now, she eats 2 small or 1 medium rat, every week or 2. She went from about 1600g the beginning of this summer to 1957g just about a week ago. I quit trying to figure her out and just lay a rat down on a sheet of printer paper outside her hide. She generally doesn't strike and wrap them like when she was young. She now just pokes her head out, sniffs the rat and then picks it up by the head and drags it into her hide to eat it lol. So lazy.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Quahog (11-06-2017)

Thanks

Re: Do I have a piggy beep or am I underfeeding?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    When Dottie was a 100g worm, she ate every 3-5 days. She was a pig and would literally stand up like a cobra when you opened the cage. Then after 6 months, I dropped her down to every week. Then at 1000g weight, she quit eating for a few months. This past winter, she didn't eat for 6 months. Then this summer and even now, she eats 2 small or 1 medium rat, every week or 2. She went from about 1600g the beginning of this summer to 1957g just about a week ago. I quit trying to figure her out and just lay a rat down on a sheet of printer paper outside her hide. She generally doesn't strike and wrap them like when she was young. She now just pokes her head out, sniffs the rat and then picks it up by the head and drags it into her hide to eat it lol. So lazy.
    Same with my super pastel cinnamon, she's a pig and ate every 3-5 days for the first couple months with me. LOL

11. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Quahog (11-06-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post

So with the rule of thumb is to feed the little ones every 3-5 days I suppose? I have a little 65 gram Cinny that's headed my way on Tuesday,m (which I'm super nervous about) Never had a little worm this small, my oldest Ramsey I got older...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    It may take a couple weeks after hatching to shed and take a first meal, but after that I'd feed every 4 days until it gets some weight on him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    So with the rule of thumb is to feed the little ones every 3-5 days I suppose? I have a little 65 gram Cinny that's headed my way on Tuesday,m (which I'm super nervous about) Never had a little worm this small, my oldest Ramsey I got older...
    Some hatchlings won't take food that often, so it's not a rule. With a new snake, you should still offer every 7 days for at least the first couple meals, to get it eating consistently. Then you can try every 5 or even less, if it will take it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Aerries (11-06-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast