Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,947

0 members and 2,947 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,561
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

...And Now He's Burrowing

I posted a few weeks ago about my new guy and after a few weeks, all seemed fine. He started eating well, he had started to get less nippy and all seemed like it was going in the right direction.

...then I changed his hides to be tighter fit for him and all of a sudden he's gotten very nippy again (puts some force behind his strike). One of the two hides is very difficult to get him out of, so I changed it back to his slightly larger hide last night. While I was changing his hide, I held him a little and I got him to switch over from being nippy to balling up by putting gentle pressure on his head (like I've seen suggested numerous times on here) and eventually got him put away for the night. I woke up this morning and he had burrowed all throughout his cage. He's got substrate completely built up around the entrances to the hide.

I know that burrowing is a sign of an unhappy snake. I had hoped that smaller hides would help. Since he still has not stopped being nippy, even with leaving him alone and all, what suggestions do y'all have for helping him feel comfortable and eventually getting him to stop the defensive strikes?

Thanks
    whats your setup for starters?

0.1 75% Kalatoa 12.5% Jampea Super Dwarf Retic - Enyo
    0.1 62.5% Purple Phase Jampea - Eris
    1.0 Platron Sunfire Mainland - Hades
    0.1 Albino Suntiger - Xena
    0.1 Platinum Citron Sunfire Albino - Aphrodite

"Animals are not property or things but rather living organisms, subjects of a life, who are worthy of our compassion, respect, friendship and support."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    I mean, burrowing is a natural behavior that they do sometimes. Some balls are more likely to do it than others. Mine's never done it, but all she wants to do is be airborne anyways lol.

What are your temps, humidity, heat source, do you use a thermostat? Give us the deets my guy!
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (10-25-2017)

Thanks
    Mine's content AF and loves to burrow in the substrate when it's not been crushed down to a tight pack (aka right after enclosure changes, like the one he got last night).

About the hides issue, mine was inevitably addressed by capitulating to my snakes demands; he likes to be able to look out of the front of his enclosure, so he tends to rebel by burrowing and flipping his hides and trying to topple the waterbowl to turn it into a hide for himself. So, he has his demands about his hides, and its that they're set up to allow him to stare out the glass front and not stuffed with moss. He tends to try and shove that out.

I'd advise trying some cheap hides for now, like tupperware. They definitely like to be tight in their hides to the point of wearing them like hats, so it seems unlikely that's the main concern here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hollowlaughter For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-25-2017)

Thanks

Re: ...And Now He's Burrowing

Current setup is in the picture. The green hide is under the heat lamp and replaced the other small one, similar in size to the skull. He has always chosen larger hides, regardless of which side it’s on.

Last feed was Sunday. Weighed him yesterday (Tuesday) at 162g. He has not shed since I got him 9/17. Last poop was 9/22. He gets fresh water every other day at the longest.

Hot side: Ambient temp is 90 with 50% humidity. Ground temp is 82, top of the hide (directly under the lamp) is 102.

Cold side: ground temp is 75. Not sure about ambient temp or humidity since I only have one hygrometer/thermometer in this setup.

If any other information would be helpful, let me know. I keep a caresheet that I think is pretty intensive just in case info is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    What are you using to measure temps? Analogue or digital? Digital is by far more reliable, and you'll want two to measure both sides. Does wonders for peace of mind, just from my own personal experience. You might want to lower the hot side temps, because that hot side hotspot on top of the hide is dangerously hot. They will climb on top of hides at night, and that's hot enough to give a snake a burn. I wouldn't have the surface temps be over 92 degrees, personally. It's okay if your ambients on the hot side sit closer to 85-88 degrees. That's within their natural range anyways.

I would also add fake plants to give him more cover while he wanders around the cage. That might be why he's burrowing -- he's giving himself security by making his own burrows. They like to feel things against their sides as they move around.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmccu5 View Post
    Current setup is in the picture. The green hide is under the heat lamp and replaced the other small one, similar in size to the skull. He has always chosen larger hides, regardless of which side it’s on.

Last feed was Sunday. Weighed him yesterday (Tuesday) at 162g. He has not shed since I got him 9/17. Last poop was 9/22. He gets fresh water every other day at the longest.

Hot side: Ambient temp is 90 with 50% humidity. Ground temp is 82, top of the hide (directly under the lamp) is 102.

Cold side: ground temp is 75. Not sure about ambient temp or humidity since I only have one hygrometer/thermometer in this setup.

If any other information would be helpful, let me know. I keep a caresheet that I think is pretty intensive just in case info is helpful.

Your ground temps should be hot side 88 to 90. Cold side around 80. Ambient around 80 through out whole enclosure. 102 seems super high. 75 ground temp seems a little cold.

0.1 Female Normal
    0.1 Lab mix

Thanks

He might be burrowing because his hide is getting too hot. If the plastic is heating up to 102, that's a problem. You can move the hide so it isn't directly under the heat lamp or do half and half. Ideally, hou should just get another hide for him. How are you checking your temps?
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks

I’ve got analog for ambient and a laser thermometer for ground. I’ll work with the temps. Any suggestions for getting him to quit being so nippy?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Did anyone tell you the dangers of those plastic skulls? They can get stuck in them and you really really do not want to have to break them out.

Reducing nippiness just takes time and patience. Assertiveness when taking your snake out of their cage and cupping them from the top and bottom will reduce defensiveness. Make noise like tapping on the enclosure a few time or the hide so they learn you are coming in to handle. Never tap when feeding so they don't associate with that.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (11-02-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast