Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,337

3 members and 3,334 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Cheap hognoses/Good places to buy them

Quote Originally Posted by GpBp View Post
    Ok, revisiting this thread! The guy responded saying he can sex his hogs, but doesn't sell lone females unless he has extra. Good news is, I'm on someone's waiting list! I may get a baby conda girl, but she isn't eating by herself yet. Also, there are other people in front of me, so if they don't back out I won't get her. As a backup plan, have you ever heard of "Crag Top Hognose"? I love the prices... I've thought about it and I would be willing to get a male. This website has multiple males for $100-! Link http://www.cragtophognose.co.uk/cate...ognoseforsale/

Thank you
    So you live in Oklahoma and you are getting a Hognose from UK , does not make much sense, shipping is not gonna be cheap it will be done airport to airport which is a hassle, why not be patient and buy an animal from a US breeder, the price will be similar, you will save on shipping and the animal will be delivered to your door and spend a lot less time in transit.
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-26-2018),dakski (02-25-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    So you live in Oklahoma and you are getting a Hognose from UK , does not make much sense, shipping is not gonna be cheap it will be done airport to airport which is a hassle, why not be patient and buy an animal from a US breeder, the price will be similar, you will save on shipping and the animal will be delivered to your door and spend a lot less time in transit.
    Ooooh ok, I did not know they were in the UK Sorry I shouldve checked

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I totally agree! How easy will that breeder be to answer questions etc. You want someone who is responsible and reliable and easy to reach.

Plus, if I recall, you are still working out some kinks with your other tanks and snakes. Not trying to be preachy or give you a hard time, but you should probably walk before you run. I have also heard Hognose snakes can be picky eaters.

Deborah, please chime in here if I am off base.

GpBp, if I were you, and I know it's exciting getting new animals, I would pace yourself. Make sure everyone you currently have has everything they need. You are going to need bigger and better tanks, and are still working out temp and feeding issues as is.

No judgement here, at all! Happy to help regardless of what you decide.

However, I would hate to see either one of your current animals not get what they need because of too many animals too quick, or you burn out and not want to stay in the hobby.

Just my two cents. Again, happy you are so enthusiastic and here to support you either way.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

GpBp (02-26-2018),Kira (02-26-2018),MissterDog (02-26-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I totally agree! How easy will that breeder be to answer questions etc. You want someone who is responsible and reliable and easy to reach.

Plus, if I recall, you are still working out some kinks with your other tanks and snakes. Not trying to be preachy or give you a hard time, but you should probably walk before you run. I have also heard Hognose snakes can be picky eaters.

Deborah, please chime in here if I am off base.

GpBp, if I were you, and I know it's exciting getting new animals, I would pace yourself. Make sure everyone you currently have has everything they need. You are going to need bigger and better tanks, and are still working out temp and feeding issues as is.

No judgement here, at all! Happy to help regardless of what you decide.

However, I would hate to see either one of your current animals not get what they need because of too many animals too quick, or you burn out and not want to stay in the hobby.

Just my two cents. Again, happy you are so enthusiastic and here to support you either way.
    Thank you for your concern! This hog would be in the future though, at least a month or two I don't even have the tank fully set up yet! I didn't mean to get ahead of myself, and I dont think Ill be able to get the hog I'm on the waitlist for Thanks!

*I also won't be buying from that breeder, I didnt know they were in the UK ☺

Last edited by GpBp; 02-26-2018 at 12:13 AM.
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

Thanks

Thank you for your concern! This hog would be in the future though, at least a month or two I don't even have the tank fully set up yet! I didn't mean to get ahead of myself, and I dont think Ill be able to get the hog I'm on the waitlist for Thanks!

All good. I am glad you understood where I was coming from and NOT telling you what to do.

I have a tendency to do too much too fast and often times burn out. I am very passionate about everything I do. It took a lot of thought, and discussions with Katie, to be happy with 5 tanks. I realize there is a lot else in my life that I want to focus on besides reptiles, and know they deserve the best care possible. It would be hard for me to balance everything and provide the best care if I had many (or any) more right now.

You obviously want the best for all your animals, and I just wanted to make sure you put them first.

Thank you for hearing me out.

P.S. If you do get a hog, talk to some users here who keep/breed them. They are apparently very picky with cage size, etc. Too big is bad, much more so than other species, or so I have read.

Makes sense to get in touch with them anyway, so in addition to a breeder, you have other resources. Many here cannot help with hogs, me included.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-26-2018 at 12:17 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

GpBp (02-26-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    im a dummy what's the difference in the tails?
    The male has a longer skinnier tail, the female is stubbier and shorter, additionally if you look from the side there is a dip in the tail right behind the cloaca which you do not see with males.

It's really something you develop the more you look a them (it's very obviously with adult), young ones out of the egg it might take a trained eye.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-26-2018),dakski (02-26-2018)

Thanks

Me neither... Do you think I should contact them?
    Have you not spoken to the breeder yet (electronically or voice) ? By the look of the post he simply chose not to list the sexes. No so unusual if he has a fair number of animals. Of course if you did speak to him and he said he didn't know the sexes, well thats kind of odd.
    1.0 Central American BI: Irwin
    0.1 Jungle, het snow BI: Gimel
    1.0 green albino, het granite Burm: Dr. Waffles
    1.0 Betta fish: Convertible
    1.1 cats: Tipitina (Tipi) and Professor Longhair (Fess)
    0.1 Egyptian baladi dog: Toasty

Thanks

by that time south texas dragons should have more available im assuming, hes a good guy and i have one of his females. hes really helpful too if you have to ask him questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to baldegale For This Useful Post:

GpBp (02-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

I'm with Daski on this and think you and your pets will benefit if you slow down a little. Two months is not that far away, and I think you should focus more on fine tuning your husbandry for your current snakes before bouncing to a new snake.

If I remember correctly, you were still in school and have not started college? I recall you had concerns of making sure Geno is always with you, did that mean you planned on boarding? If so have you thought about who would care for all of your pets? Would you realistically be able to bring all of them? And then what are you plans after college? What if you're not financially sound enough to provide the care your pets need when things go south? Especially when it's time for you to live on your own? There are difficult questions you might have to think about in case things don't work out.

Personally I think you should wait until after you graduate college and have a place to settle down of your own before adding another snake to your collection. You never know what complications you might bump into with moving and sometimes there are no guarantees things will go as planned. Or maybe it could all go smoothly but you won't be able to know that for a while. Ultimately it's your choice of course, only you can judge the situation for yourself.

Just make sure you consider possible set backs and your future living conditions before making your final decision. Remember patience is a virtue when you wait for the right time. It will pay all off in the long run
    Last edited by MissterDog; 02-26-2018 at 05:58 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-26-2018),Kira (02-26-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    I'm with Daski on this and think you and your pets will benefit if you slow down a little. Two months is not that far away, and I think you should focus more on fine tuning your husbandry for your current snakes before bouncing to a new snake.

If I remember correctly, you were still in school and have not started college? I recall you had concerns of making sure Geno is always with you, did that mean you planned on boarding? If so have you thought about who would care for all of your pets? Would you realistically be able to bring all of them? And then what are you plans after college? What if you're not financially sound enough to provide the care your pets need when things go south? Especially when it's time for you to live on your own? There are difficult questions you might have to think about in case things don't work out.

Personally I think you should wait until after you graduate college and have a place to settle down of your own before adding another snake to your collection. You never know what complications you might bump into with moving and sometimes there are no guarantees things will go as planned. Or maybe it could all go smoothly but you won't be able to know that for a while. Ultimately it's your choice of course, only you can judge the situation for yourself.

Just make sure you consider possible set backs and your future living conditions before making your final decision. Remember patience is a virtue when you wait for the right time. It will pay all off in the long run
    GpBp,

I didn't realize how young and uncertain your future was. I completely agree with MissterDog here, especially with this new information. Also, two months may feel like a long time, but in the scheme of things, it's not.

It can be heartbreaking to you and the animal(s) if you are unable to keep or properly care for it/them.

My heart and impulses say get more! But, even me, a 37 year old, who is fully employed (with the same job and company for 13 years), in a stable relationship, has a house, etc. knows that I am at my current limit.

When I learned I was getting a kidney transplant and that I would be immune suppressed forever, if I survived, the doctors told me I had to get rid of my reptiles (due to the risk of infection/spreading disease). My ex-wife (wife at the time), helped with George my since passed Beardie, but would not help with the snakes. I had to re-home 2 snakes and it was devastating.

I have since done my research and am happy to report, all though at greater risk, I have never gotten sick from any of my animals, and take extra precautions for cleanliness.

The point is, I still wonder about those snakes. Yes, they went to a good home, but I still miss them and hope they are okay.

I would have felt worse if I was unable to care for them and kept them anyway, to their detriment. However, none of these decisions are fun.

I think you might be too far in the forest to see the trees right now, but we have your best interests, and those of your reptiles and future reptiles, at heart too.

Again, free to do whatever you want, but consider listening to people who have been there, learned, and care about what's best for all involved.

All the best,

David

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Kira (02-26-2018),MissterDog (02-26-2018)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast