Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

1 members and 3,181 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: power outage

Thanks

power outage

So with all the storms last nigh, I lost power for a few hours. My snoot is fine, temps never dropped below 85 on the hot side / 76 on the cool side and everything came back on with no problem. But this brings up a concern for winter - I have a small (40 qt) Rubbermaid that locks and reptile sipping heat packs in case of a true emergency, but I was wondering if there is a way to keep him in his AP cage should a winter power outage come along.

I was considering getting some reptile carpet and sewing it into a pouch (closed with Velcro) that I could put the shipping pad in, and put that under his hides. I thought this may give him more of a micro-environment than heating a tub. I would of course try this out and measure the temps with my IR gun long before winter gets here to be sure, but I thought I would ask if you all had any ideas. I've never used one of the heat pads before (I haven't needed to) the package says that they only reach average temp of 100* and last for 72 hours - but that temp seems too high for direct contact to me, but not necessarily high enough to heat up through the plastic in the tub if it were placed under the tub as a UTH might be.
    Last edited by Crowfingers; 10-24-2017 at 11:25 AM.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks

Re: power outage

Depends on your budget. I have a gas generator in case of power outages, don't want my freezers to ever go out. One has thousands of dollars in meat whilst the other has hundreds of rats. I paid 250 for my small generator it will run for 10 hours on a full tank which costs me around 35 dollars. Never used shipping pads.

Sent from my LG-M151 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pezz View Post
    Depends on your budget. I have a gas generator in case of power outages, don't want my freezers to ever go out. One has thousands of dollars in meat whilst the other has hundreds of rats. I paid 250 for my small generator it will run for 10 hours on a full tank which costs me around 35 dollars. Never used shipping pads.

I would, but I live in an interior apartment on the second floor - no access to outside where I can keep a generator safely.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    I would, but I live in an interior apartment on the second floor - no access to outside where I can keep a generator safely.
    Solar panel and battery an option?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    If it is so long you lose heat in the apartment your best bet is a smallish tub and you for heat. Your body can provide enough heat to keep your snake going during an extended power outage. After that go to your apartment management and scream at them for having the power out that long.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (10-24-2017)

Thanks

I'm not sure how that would work, or what the cost would be...I'd have to ask permission from the complex to install the panel and any wiring to the outside of the building. To be honest they wouldn't let our downstairs neighbor install a garden fountain in her flower bed, so I'm not sure how much they would agree to. I'm willing to look into it, but I think that may be going a bit far for a single snake tank.

Thanks

The goal zero yeti 150 doesn't require special installation. Around 250 dollars. It's not huge and only has one outlet but that should be enough to power your uth and thermostat.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Forget the solar panel, just plug a big battery pack in an outlet of the wall, even a trickle charger and a truck battery would work. Then just use an inverter to convert to 110V.

If you have a balcony or can run an extension cord out of the window you can get a small gas generator and a couple 100 foot extension cords and run it that way. Here at the farm I put the generator in the bed of my truck, drive it to the back of the property and run long extension cords to the house. Keeps the fumes and noise a distance away. I run the cord in through the garage, close the garage door on it, then in a door closed as tight as I can on the cord. Then I run power strips and more extension cords to all the fridges, freezers, and a laptop for watching movies LOL. Usually once I get it all set up the power usually comes back on!!
    Last edited by cchardwick; 10-24-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,863 Times in 4,780 Posts
    You have just the one snake and no incubator? If it gets cold put the snake in a bag and put the snake bag down your shirt to keep it warm. At night put the snake bag into a tub and put that under your bedcovers with you. The tub ensures that you don't roll over onto your snake, or if your snake pees it doesn't wet your bed.

You would be better off finding a place you and your snake can go temporarily (e.g. crash at a friend or relative's house) if there is an extended outage, rather than trying to set up a generator for a small apartment. All you would need is a small tub with a very secure top, heat pad, and thermostat to become your snake's home away from home.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (10-24-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    You have just the one snake and no incubator? If it gets cold put the snake in a bag and put the snake bag down your shirt to keep it warm.
    You would be better off finding a place you and your snake can go temporarily (e.g. crash at a friend or relative's house) if there is an extended outage, rather than trying to set up a generator for a small apartment. All you would need is a small tub with a very secure top, heat pad, and thermostat to become your snake's home away from home.
    Thanks - yep just the one snake and nothing else (for now). I have friends willing to let us crash, only problem is getting there - if we loose power in Va from snow /
    ice it's usually too bad to drive. I am on the same power grid as a hospital and neighbors say that it has never gone out here for more than a day or two max, I just like to be prepared before the worst happens.

I can get a UTH and spare thermostat to have for a 'bug-out' kit just encase too. I use CHE's w/ thermostat for temps on his regular cage, hence the shipping packs in case of emergency - just wasn't sure if they were worth it / safe to help heat the tub.