Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,188

0 members and 3,188 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Terrarium Decor Help!!!

Hello, everybody! I would like to start off by apologizing for this kinda long post, but I need everybody's help please! Here we go!
    I am in the middle of upgrading my juvenile BP's tank. She is currently in a 10 gallon tank and I am slowly moving her up to a 50+ gallon tank as she grows older. The problem that I am having is finding things to occupy the tank. I am looking to buy the Exo Terra Natural Terrarium Large/Tall 36" x 18" x 24" (WxDxH) in the future.
    My main problem is finding inexpensive yet safe and reliable products that I can fill the tank with. I am looking for branches, vines, plants (preferably artificial), hammocks, sticks, pools, and any other kind of decor that would be preferable and/or perfect for a ball python. I want to hear what everybody has to say about their favorite products, companies, brands, etc. I have been searching for the right answers and I haven't found any, so here I am asking the right questions. I would also really appreciate pictures of all your set ups and the products that you guys are using! I know that every terrarium is different and everybody has their own preference, which is why I am asking for help from anyone who can give me advice!
    Full disclosure: I currently have everything that is necessary for a BP (i.e. multiple thermometers and hydrometers, heat lamps, hides, carpet, humid hide, water bowl, etc). I am looking for future upgrade ideas and am not requiring immediate necessities. I am not upgrading immediately because my BP is still very young and still has a lot of room to grow!
    Thank you in advance!!

Victoria
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Autumn/Ezekiel)

Thanks
    There are lots of cheap fake plants you can get at Walmart and dollar stores. Just make sure they don't have any chains or loops that your snake could get stuck in
    1.0 Normal BP- Jenga
    1.0 Bumblebee BP - Jynx
    1.0 German Shepherd - Sif
    1.1 Mixed Breed Cats - Floyd and Meanie
    1.0 Suriname Red Tail Boa - Bowie

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chinnamasta For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-21-2017),toriwixom (10-24-2017)

Registered User Slytherin's Mommy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Terrarium Decor Help!!!

I made all of mine. I got the stuff from walmart and the dollar store just like chinnamasts said. Also make sure they don't have any sharp ends or points on them.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Slytherin's Mommy For This Useful Post:

toriwixom (10-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Online Drs Foster and Smith, Amazon

Stores: Hobby Lobby, Michaels. Home Depot, Lowes

I like the brand exo terra for all my hides.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

toriwixom (10-24-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    These tubes are good, easy to clean, and inexpensive:
    https://www.amazon.com/Ware-Manufact...1KNFPP5W9HPPDC

When I put something new like that in my BP's cage he won't go near it for weeks, but eventually learns that it doesn't bite. I have two of these in his cage and he slithers through them all the time.

You can also use cork tubes or flats, and live plants. Another suggestion is a plastic take-out container with a doorway cut in it, especially if your snake is still growing and will outgrow stuff that's the right size now. You can partially bury things in soil or substrate too, as a way to make a humid hide. Also, the boxes that bottles of liquor sometimes come in as long as the snake can fit in them.

If you have a glass tank that you can't screw stuff into and you don't have a branch that's the right size to stay up by leaning, you can also make a framework out of PVC pipe and fittings that you can just set down. Something like that is good for climbing, but can also support platforms which provide more total floor space too. But on glass you can also use suction cups to support things like hammocks or other stuff, if you get strong enough ones that they'll hold.

Lots of people actually do use branches collected from outside too, if you live in an area that you know is free of stuff like pesticides and fertilizers. There are various ways of cleaning/baking/soaking them if you want to get rid of bugs or whatever.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

toriwixom (10-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    Going bioactive for a tank is also a good option, if you wanted to do that kind of thing. Keeps the humidity up, and you can use stuff you find in the local woods or park, within reason of the law. It's a bit more work, but it looks awesome and gives the animal lots to explore.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

Coluber42 (10-23-2017),toriwixom (10-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I know you said you have all the necessities but I didn't see a thermostat listed.

I use the xlarge expo terra water dish. Two of the medium bean farm hides and I got my fake plants at Joanns. I also have a cork flat and mopani wood in mine. So her hides are hidden under fake plants.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

toriwixom (10-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I always loved Terra Cotta Pots !! They come in all sizes, they look natural, and they absorb and hold water (for humidity). You use them upside down.

One can enlarge the hole on top and they make a excellent hide !! But what I've always done is to CAREFULLY, very carefully, knock a piece out of the side (scoring first might help). Then I would go over the sharp edges with sand paper, making them smooth. I would plug up the hole on top and then hot glue some plastic plants on top, with vines hanging down the pot.

Looked quite nice, worked great as a hide
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

15. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

toriwixom (10-24-2017)