Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,272

3 members and 3,269 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Reticulated Python Question

So I want to get a new snake. I'm stuck between four different types, reticulated being one of them. I have a ball python now, and I used to help my sister care for her snakes. I'm stuck between Reticulated Python, Red Tail Boa, another BP, or a Western Hognose so for the time being I'm trying to collect as much info on each snake as I can before I decide. I don't have anything specific in mind, I kind of want something bigger (the exception being a hognose) but I'm not sure yet.

So far what I have on retics seems pretty similar to BPs which might be a big pro for them, but I could be incorrect. I just did some google searches of care sheets and this is what I've got.

Life Span: 15-20 yrs
    Length: 10-20ft
    Adult Housing Size: 2' tall x 3' wide x 6-8' length
    Temperatures: 82° cool side 92° hot spot
    They need hides, and I can use coconut fiber for substrate.

I couldn't find the humidity requirements, and I could be completely wrong with the information above since the Internet isn't always reliable so any information and tips on keeps them would be great! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Normal BP "Calliope"
    0.1 Hypo Leopard Gecko “El”
    1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko “Axle”
    0.0.1 Poecilotheria Regalis
    0.0.1 Poecilotheri Subfusca
    1.0 Siamese mix cat “Kurt”
    1.0 DLH Cat “Vodka”
    0.0.1 Suriname Red Tail Boa

"I’m just more comfortable with fauna and flora than with other humans."

Thanks

Re: Reticulated Python Question

Retics are huge snakes - please do lots of research to make sure you are in a position to give this animal all it will need over those 20 plus years. Best of luck to you in making your decision.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to L.West For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (10-18-2017),KevinK (10-18-2017),OneEyedFox (10-18-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    Retics are huge snakes - please do lots of research to make sure you are in a position to give this animal all it will need over those 20 plus years. Best of luck to you in making your decision.
    I am looking for something bigger, though the size of a retics is somewhat intimidating, that's why I'm trying to do research now as it will likely be MONTHS before I actually get another snake. Thank you for your concern. I'd only ever want the best for any animal in my care.

1.0 Normal BP "Calliope"
    1.0 DLH Cat “Vodka”

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OneEyedFox For This Useful Post:

L.West (10-18-2017)

Thanks
    Honestly, if you've only ever kept a BP and want something bigger, I'd go for a common male boa (BCI / BI). They are larger than BPs, but not so large that you need a second person there for all maintenance (which you do with snakes over 10' for sure, some say 8'). They are also more laid back and easy to handle than most retics... Retics move very fast and maneuvering a larger snake like a retic is not easy.

Another thing to consider is their food aggression response, which is even higher than boas. They eat more frequently, show signs of stress when hungry more often (rubbing/pushing), etc. Along with frequent feedings comes frequent peeing and pooping, which can be large-dog sized.

Have you ever handled a fully grown retic? If not, I'd encourage you to find a local keeper or shop that is willing to let you "help" them with cleaning, feeding, etc. to see what handling an adult is like... Know going in that a fully grown retic takes a lot in terms of housing, finances, and time to maintain and that they are very hard to rehome. If you do decide that you like them, after working with adults, then I'd look into super dwarf retics, which stay smaller, but are as active and intelligent as the larger retics.

I was in the same position as you a few years back and decided to go with a boa instead of a dwarf or SD retic. I have been extremely happy with my choice, although I will consider an SD retic male in the future.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-19-2017),Godzilla78 (10-19-2017),KevinK (10-18-2017),L.West (10-18-2017),OneEyedFox (10-18-2017)

Thanks
    Heres my advice. I currently have a mainland reticulated python. He's still very small but already is taking a toll on my wallet haha. He gets three adult mice every 5 days or so otherwise he will bang up his nose smacking the glass of his enclosure. My advice is that if you want to get into bigger snakes get a boa first or get a Dwarf retic or a Super dwarf retic. These guys stay much smaller and will be much more manageable. I think some super dwarfs can stay around 10 ish feet and some normal dwarfs around 15 or so?

In conclusion, Retics get huge and cost lots of money to feed and take up lots of space. Although they are my favorite kind of snake because they has so much personality and are very active and fun to handle. I i were you i would decide what you like better, Boas or some kind of Dwarf/SD retic.... my $0.02
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dylan815 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-19-2017),Godzilla78 (10-19-2017),KevinK (10-18-2017),L.West (10-18-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    Honestly, if you've only ever kept a BP and want something bigger, I'd go for a common male boa (BCI / BI). They are larger than BPs, but not so large that you need a second person there for all maintenance (which you do with snakes over 10' for sure, some say 8'). They are also more laid back and easy to handle than most retics... Retics move very fast and maneuvering a larger snake like a retic is not easy.

Another thing to consider is their food aggression response, which is even higher than boas. They eat more frequently, show signs of stress when hungry more often (rubbing/pushing), etc. Along with frequent feedings comes frequent peeing and pooping, which can be large-dog sized.

Have you ever handled a fully grown retic? If not, I'd encourage you to find a local keeper or shop that is willing to let you "help" them with cleaning, feeding, etc. to see what handling an adult is like... Know going in that a fully grown retic takes a lot in terms of housing, finances, and time to maintain and that they are very hard to rehome. If you do decide that you like them, after working with adults, then I'd look into super dwarf retics, which stay smaller, but are as active and intelligent as the larger retics.

I was in the same position as you a few years back and decided to go with a boa instead of a dwarf or SD retic. I have been extremely happy with my choice, although I will consider an SD retic male in the future.
    I was leaning more toward a boa, but I hadn't considered a BCI specifically. I'll look into that. Thanks for the advice! I get worried when I post on here that people will be rude about answering questions since I've seen it happen before but thank you for you're kind response. I'll start looking into BCI care right away.

1.0 Normal BP "Calliope"
    1.0 DLH Cat “Vodka”

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Retics do need to be humid, figure 50-60%. Not only do they get big but they get big very quickly compared to a snake like a boa constrictor that can take up to 7 years to reach its potential, so you'll need to find an adult-size enclosure 18 months after you get a hatchling.

They are fun and unlike my BP's and even boas they tolerate handling and human interaction readily, and they outgrow their baby defensiveness pretty quickly. That said, dealing with an adult on a bad day is like fighting a charged fire hose throwing a temper tantrum.

Retics also require more day-to-day maintenance than boas since they eat more often and have higher metabolisms. An adult retic may need a full enclosure clean-out two to three times a week because they'll poop every day for three days straight, where an adult boa that eats every 4-6 weeks may only have a bowel movement monthly.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-19-2017),Godzilla78 (10-19-2017),jmcrook (10-18-2017),L.West (10-18-2017)

Thanks

I think you're making a wise decision.

I couldn't ever imagine owning a Retic after transitioning directly from a Ball Python. Boas are the PERFECT intermediate species if you want to head in that direction however. They give you a taste of what owning a large constrictor is like, but they're not overwhelming at the same time.

FYI: This is why I love this forum, I don't even need to do anything. You've already been handed fantastic advice

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

L.West (10-18-2017),OneEyedFox (10-18-2017)

Thanks
    Were all a big family on here.. Remember, everyones here to learn and discover together. There's never any need for anyone to be grumpy with each other.
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dylan815 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-19-2017),Deu2e (10-19-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyballs View Post
    I think you're making a wise decision.

I couldn't ever imagine owning a Retic after transitioning directly from a Ball Python. Boas are the PERFECT intermediate species if you want to head in that direction however. They give you a taste of what owning a large constrictor is like, but they're not overwhelming at the same time.

FYI: This is why I love this forum, I don't even need to do anything. You've already been handed fantastic advice
    I had the four different snakes picked out and I asked a few friends what they thought and most were saying "The retic looks awesome!" So I figured I'd see what it was like and ask some people with more experience. I was already leaning toward a red tail boa since they are beautiful but I do know someone who has 3 retics and I love how active they can be so I figured I'd give it a chance. Probably definitely going for some sort of Boa now though. I'll work my way up to a retic when I get there

1.0 Normal BP "Calliope"
    1.0 DLH Cat “Vodka”

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast