Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,370

3 members and 3,367 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Substrate to boost humidity

Was wondering if any of you guys know some good beddings that will help boost the humidity for my ball python? It has been getting colder here especially at night so I started using a heat lamp again. So far the temps have been very nice but I despise heat lamps...reason? They suck all the humidity out of my glass enclosure.

I keep most of the lid covered so I'm already doing that. I use cypress mulch and have used aspen in the past. Cypress mulch works great for me but with the heat lamp now on just might not work anymore :/

anyone know of anything that might work better?

Thanks

Re: Substrate to boost humidity

I use "plantation soil" it's mostly coconut husk but it allows me to create a "bio tank" and plant live vegetation. I've only been doing a bio tank for about 2 weeks but my beeps seem to like it.

Sent from my LG-M151 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pezz For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-16-2017)

Thanks

Coco fiber substrate like Ecoearth or Reptile Basics works really good for humidity. Mixing some moss in with the sustrate works amazingly as well, I also make a little hedge of moss around all the edges of the tank but the front and spray the moss directly when I spray the tank.

Putting a damp rag on top of the hot hide (Or both if the humidity is low enough, I normally just do this for sheds) works really good as well. Just take it out and rewet it every other day or so and on the days I don't rewet it I just spray the rag directly as well when I spray down the tank

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I use coconut husk mixed with moss and it has done wonders for my humidity, the moss especially. That plus putting a damp rag on top of the screen and covering it has boosted mine to adequate levels with my overhead heating
    - Melissa - instagram @perkyjawa
    pastel het pied ball python - Viago
    1.0.1 crested geckos - Poe & Wicket
    2.0 fire-bellied toads - Malgus & Morgoth
    0.1 kitty cat - Wanda
    1.0 german shepherd - Sarge
    1.0 bichon shihtzu - Roscoe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I swear they need to start paying me...

Reptile Prime
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Was wondering if any of you guys know some good beddings that will help boost the humidity for my ball python? It has been getting colder here especially at night so I started using a heat lamp again. So far the temps have been very nice but I despise heat lamps...reason? They suck all the humidity out of my glass enclosure.

I keep most of the lid covered so I'm already doing that. I use cypress mulch and have used aspen in the past. Cypress mulch works great for me but with the heat lamp now on just might not work anymore :/

anyone know of anything that might work better?
    While I hate using it due to its non-sustainability, in my experience, there is not much better than cypress mulch. I don't use coco fiber for ball pythons, but I used to use it (eco-earth) for tokay geckos with a CHE/ heat lamp with tokay geckos before switching them to a larger enclosure. Indeed coco fiber does hold humidity well, in fact, it holds it very well. However, with a CHE or heat lamp, coco fiber dries out fairly quickly. This kind kind of the trade off for CHE and heat lamps, they kill humidity in exchange for an easy increase in ambient temperatures as you note.

If I may offer an alternate suggestion, try using cypress mulch or coco fiber with a radiant heat panel. They are more costly up front, but you'll find over time they save you money. An 80 watt heat panel runs about $90, but you never have to replace the bulb and most likely, the 80 W panel will use less energy than whatever bulb you are using. Their real benefit however, is that they help preserve humidity much better than a CHE or heat lamp.

Lastly they are very easy to "set and forget". If your room temperature fluctuates, as long as your heat panel is set to a thermostat, it will modulate the power so your enclosure stays the same temperature.
    Last edited by Regius_049; 10-16-2017 at 04:55 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Regius_049 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    cypress mulch, good for controlling humidity and great at absorbing odors. I will never use aspen again.

Thanks

I bought some Eco earth today that I'll put in Persephone's tank tomorrow morning. I'll see how that is then if her humidity is still a bit low I'll see how some moss works. If none of that is enough (I'm hoping it is and that it should be because it isn't the worst) I'll continue to try some of these answers! Sorry for the late update btw! I'll tell you guys how it goes tomorrow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pezz View Post
    I use "plantation soil" it's mostly coconut husk but it allows me to create a "bio tank" and plant live vegetation. I've only been doing a bio tank for about 2 weeks but my beeps seem to like it.

I've been wanting to try one of those but haven't seen too much about them and all

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pezz View Post

I've been wanting to try one of those but haven't seen too much about them and all

Thanks

I personally buy bricks of coconut husk which holds humidity quite well and doesn't mold.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast