Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,372

4 members and 3,368 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    If you have decided on a Boa I would recommend a female BCI if you would be alright with 6' - 8' as an adult or a male BCI if you would rather it only topped out around 4' - 6'. If you want one that tops out at only around 4' or so and you like dark snakes you should check out the Leopard Boas, which are dwarfs. They are gorgeous! A Leopard Boa/Motley pair is probably next on my list, because i'm really wanting to get into the Eclipse project. Either that or a pair of super dwarf Retics. I can't decide...

Have you considered a Sumatran, Blood or Borneo Python? A Woma Python? There are just sooo many awesome snakes that it's impossible to choose just one! lol If I wasn't getting into breeding and I just wanted a couple/few pet snakes a Boa would be a must have, though!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

GpBp (10-19-2017)

Thanks

Re: Good next snake..?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I'd suggest a Rhino nosed Rat snake if you go down the route mentioned above . Fabulous looking , inquisitive 24/7 and very placid ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    O yeah! I totally forgot about them, on my list for sure as well lol Just all the ratsnakes! Lol

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Speaking of rat snakes i got supremely pissed off the other day. On one of my herper social media pages a guy posted a picture of a Floridian grey rat snake that he killed claiming he thought it was a cotton mouth. I scolded him about his sadistic behavior until he blocked me

Sent from my LG-M151 using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pezz For This Useful Post:

GpBp (10-19-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pezz View Post
    Speaking of rat snakes i got supremely pissed off the other day. On one of my herper social media pages a guy posted a picture of a Floridian grey rat snake that he killed claiming he thought it was a cotton mouth. I scolded him about his sadistic behavior until he blocked me

Ugh I hate people like that, people who senselessly kill snakes in general really. Even as a child I understood they were way more scared of us then we are of them, when I was little I would save little garter snakes (I think they were garter snakes, I was to young to really know for sure lol) that would get into my grandparents pool because of I didn't my cousins would cut them up. I sickened me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BluuWolf View Post
    Ugh I hate people like that, people who senselessly kill snakes in general really. Even as a child I understood they were way more scared of us then we are of them, when I was little I would save little garter snakes (I think they were garter snakes, I was to young to really know for sure lol) that would get into my grandparents pool because of I didn't my cousins would cut them up. I sickened me.

Exactly, snakes are defensive not aggressive. With proper care even a venomous snake can be put into a bag and be relocated, but it was a grey ratsnake, nowhere close to a cotton mouth in visualisation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pezz View Post
    Exactly, snakes are defensive not aggressive. With proper care even a venomous snake can be put into a bag and be relocated, but it was a grey ratsnake, nowhere close to a cotton mouth in visualisation.

People just seem to always assume that if is small and slithers it has venom for some reason. He probably didn't even know what a cotton mouth even remotely looked like, that was just the first snake name that came to his head. I have a guy at my work that I argue with with all the time that swares up and down that ALL snakes have some sort of venom and that he "risked his life" to move a Ratsnake one time because it almost bit him. Okkaayy

Thanks
    I don't have experience with large boas, but I love my rosys. They are quite a bit smaller than ball pythons (adults only get 2-3 feet), more friendly, and they don't require as much humidity. They're typically more active when handled. They'll slither right up to your face and sniff your nose with their tongues if you let them! But they're also very slow so there's no need to worry about them being squirmy or making a "quick" getaway.

They're also great snakes for a typical tank setup, since they like low humidity you won't have to modify a glass tank to hold it in like you would for a ball python. As far as eating goes, they're not picky. My first rosy was on live mice for four years when I got him. I offered a frozen/thawed mouse and he took it right away. They tend to have regurgitation issues if humidity is high though, so if you live in a humid area they may not be the best pet for you.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

GpBp (10-19-2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123