Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,411

2 members and 3,409 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Snakes with the most personality

Of all the snakes I've owned or known very well (pets of friends), my Tanimbar scrub is just next level. I've had a Ball Python, BCI, Burmese, and now a Dumeril's and they are all simpletons compared to this guy! He's super intelligent, super fast, and super fierce. Everything is on his terms. He comes out to play when he feels like it and gets put away when he feels like it. Metaphorically and physically speaking, he can't be forced to go anywhere; he must be led. He watches and learns like no other snake I've encountered. He also hunts like a demon hell-beast! My BP could barely catch a mouse that you dangled on top of his nose. My Dumeril's would rather hide from her food or sleep on top of it. Apophis once slithered out of my hands, down my leg, up the bed post, across the bed, and to the top of his enclosure to snatch a mouse that was thawing by his heat lamp STILL IN THE PLASTIC BAG! Another time, I was thawing dinner on top of his cage and he kept reaching up to put his nose by it, then stretching out to me and opening his mouth. Then back up to the mouse. Back at me. Open and close mouth. As if to say, "Mommy, that's mine!!!!"

Definitely not a pet for everyone, but super feisty and super fun.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Personality , inquisitiveness ..

Screams out Retics , Burms and Woma pythons in my experience anyways ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Whichever snake is your favorite, you're probably going to perceive more personality through personification. It might be easier to have folks list off specific behaviors/traits of some of their critters, then you can decide the degree of personality for yourself. I personally attach more personality to defensive snakes because they're showing me more than a relaxed animal. Likewise, an animal that comes zooming out of it's enclosure to snatch prey from me(or latch onto my person if I'm not deft enough) gets higher marks than one who waits patiently for the food to come within strike range.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-20-2017),Ax01 (10-20-2017)

Thanks

Snakes with the most personality

My scariest three are two Baby LTRs ( Leucistic Texas Rat snakes and this Thai Bamboo Rat snake - all under 15" long

Last edited by Zincubus; 10-20-2017 at 02:24 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-20-2017),Kcl (10-20-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My Sonoran gopher seems to be the most alert. The Trans-pecos rat watches me the most. Not sure what that is about. Definitely personifying, but I just love those big eyes, and cute Kermit shaped head.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-20-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    My Sonoran gopher seems to be the most alert. The Trans-pecos rat watches me the most. Not sure what that is about. Definitely personifying, but I just love those big eyes, and cute Kermit shaped head.
    What !?

Another TransPeco owner

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Whichever snake is your favorite, you're probably going to perceive more personality through personification. It might be easier to have folks list off specific behaviors/traits of some of their critters, then you can decide the degree of personality for yourself.
    totally agree. that said:

the most or best personality is very subjective. i own mostly BP's. in general, they're the most chill snakes. alotta herpers are attracted to this quality. b/c a snake is a couch potato, it doesn't mean it lacks personality. i have kept BP's along enough and have enough of them to notice differences in personality between the ones in my collection.

maybe half of my BP's are the stereotypical couch potatoes. they hide most of the time, they like to ball but they come around when they're out. they're just chill animals and easy to handle.

then i have the friendlies. BP's that will hang out and scoot around in front of their tubs. i can pull the tub forward and they will periscope out of it, move towards u, seemingly begging to be picked up and handled. they're like lil puppies.

i also have a few killers. they will track your movement, always ready to strike. they're fight or flight and it takes awhile to get them going for handling. they're like temperamental cats.

i have in-betweenies that are always on the move. they seem to do well in all situations. they love to climb and explore, always shifting their attention like lil squirrels.

it seems like i can spoon feed my Corn Snakes. they will gently take prey off my tongs, no heat required. i used to be able to hold my Albino Milk Snake and "spoon feed" her when she was little, but now she wraps prey. anyway my Colubrids show the least personality. they're aquirmy and flight when outta their enclosure.

i think my fav is Ruby Red, my vibrant all white Lesser Pied (poss. Cinny) girl. she's got the balance of all the personalities of i described above regarding BP's and she's also very confident. i have plenty of BP's that are not head shy but i like to think that part of her personality is that she know's she's gorgeous and she flaunts it w/ confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    I personally attach more personality to defensive snakes because they're showing me more than a relaxed animal. Likewise, an animal that comes zooming out of it's enclosure to snatch prey from me(or latch onto my person if I'm not deft enough) gets higher marks than one who waits patiently for the food to come within strike range.
    yep, i do enjoy my snakes that "hunt and kill" their f/t prey.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post

My scariest three are two Baby LTRs ( Leucistic Texas Rat snakes and this Thai Bamboo Rat snake - all under 15" long

Sweet! That bamboo rat snake is SICK! In a good way, like a custom Dodge Viper kind of sick.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Sweet! That bamboo rat snake is SICK! In a good way, like a custom Dodge Viper kind of sick.
    It's a pure display snake . It can be handled for viv cleaning but I wear a leather jacket and leather gloves

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12