Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,385

0 members and 3,385 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mite treatment

Thanks

Mite treatment

So I have used provent-a-mite and natural chemistry reptile spray successfully for treatment, but was wondering if folks have used nature zone mite guard powder as either a treatment or preventative?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You do not need preventive treatment with your collection and I would not recommend subjecting your animals to pesticide long term or on a regular basis. The only truly effective mite treatment is PAM as it treats all stages of development, nature chemistry is great for instant relief but will not kill eggs.

If you have strong husbandry practices all you ever need to do it pre-treat new arrivals for mites and that's it.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (10-11-2017),chosen2030 (10-11-2017),Godzilla78 (10-11-2017),Jus1More (10-11-2017)

Thanks

Re: Mite treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    You do not need preventive treatment with your collection and I would not recommend subjecting your animals to pesticide long term or on a regular basis. The only truly effective mite treatment is PAM as it treats all stages of development, nature chemistry is great for instant relief but will not kill eggs.

If you have strong husbandry practices all you ever need to do it pre-treat new arrivals for mites and that's it.
    What is your process for pre-treating new arrivals?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (10-11-2017),BPSnakeLady (10-11-2017),chosen2030 (10-11-2017)

Thanks

Just curious, is there any material (ex. Acrylic, glass, metal, etc.) that snake mites cannot climb?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chosen2030 View Post

Starts with proper quarantine, new snakes should be kept in a different room at the opposite of your established animals.

Treat the enclosure that you will use for AT with PAM, than treat again 2 weeks.

I do not recommend home made brew unless you have the knowledge as it could cause neurological damage and it death.

Mites jump and can hitchhike on you, so again proper quarantine and working with established animals first and QT second is a must, that means once you deal with QT you do not go back were your established animals are.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-11-2017)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

What I do is make sure my quarantine area is set up and about 3 days before I bring the new arrival home, I spray the empty quarantine tub with PAM (Provent-a-mite). Then the day new arrival is here, set up the tub with paper towels, water dish and disposable hide (like a cardboard box). That's it. Then after 60-90 days if all is well, new arrival moves in with the collection. I've brought in snakes that had mites before and this worked great.
    For the Horde!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

chosen2030 (10-11-2017)

Thanks

Starts with proper quarantine, new snakes should be kept in a different room at the opposite of your established animals.

Treat the enclosure that you will use for AT with PAM, than treat again 2 weeks.

I do not recommend home made brew unless you have the knowledge as it could cause neurological damage and it death.

Mites jump and can hitchhike on you, so again proper quarantine and working with established animals first and QT second is a must, that means once you deal with QT you do not go back were your established animals are.
    Just to make sure I'm clear, you don't spray the newspaper/paper towel directly with PAM, right? If it's a current animal I'm treating, how long should I let the PAM dry in the tub before I can safely put the liner and animal in there?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Just to make sure I'm clear, you don't spray the newspaper/paper towel directly with PAM, right? If it's a current animal I'm treating, how long should I let the PAM dry in the tub before I can safely put the liner and animal in there?

You spray everything, remember a little goes a long way, all you have to do is remove the water dish, you let PAM dry which should take about 30 min.

When I prepare an enclosure for QT I have newspaper and I usually do it the morning of the arrival giving it plenty of time to dry (an hour or more)

I you are currently treating an animal do the same but remove the animal as well for 30 min to an hour.
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Deborah... can a baby snake (2-3 month old) get mites too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast