Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,188

1 members and 3,187 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Question Ambient Lighting for BP

Hey guys, so I have a young ball python in a 20 gallon long aquarium with a screen lid. Currently I'm using a clamp on desk type light that produces a small amount of heat but nothing overwhelming. The issue is, its starting to short out and the clamp isn't all that great. With the screen lid on, it doesn't give me many options for keeping it in place either.

So my question is, what type of lighting system can I use for my ball pythons enclosure that won't produce a whole lot of excess heat and will also illuminate the entirety of the cage with the least amount of effort? If my room was well lit, I wouldn't even consider replacing it. But in order to keep a natural day/night cycle, I believe its necessary since that part of the room doesn't see a whole lot of sunlight. I do plan to put it on some type of timer so that the lighting stays consistent. With that being said, I'm looking for the cheapest option possible.

I've looked into using the same domes you would use for basking spots, but just adding a bulb with minimal wattage. But that risks jumping the ambient heat higher than it needs to be. Ive also looked at regular 30" aquarium tops that have the lamps built in. I figured if I sat something like that on top of the mesh top I am already using, it would be relatively easy to move on/off and would also help with the screen's issue of releasing too much heat/humidity into the room. Only downside is I'm thinking that those bright white lights might be a little on the harsh side and in turn would stress out the snake.

So what do you guys think? Or do you think I'm better off going with bare minimum lighting altogether at risk of ruining the day/night cycle? Thanks for your help in advance!

PS: My humidity reads about perfect with my current setup, but my temperature tends to fluctuate a little lower than it should.
    Last edited by Codil7; 10-09-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    You don't need a day night cycle for ball pythons for their health. There is anecdotal evidence stating they act better in a 12/12 cycle but you don't need to go out of your way to light your snake's enclosure.

That being said, if you want to do it get a cheap plug in timer and an LED strip bar and use that to light the enclosure. Home improvement places sell light bars that will work.

If you want to spend around $50 you can get these

http://www.reptilebasics.com/LED-reptile-lighting
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

Furyo (10-11-2017)

Thanks

Re: Ambient Lighting for BP

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    You don't need a day night cycle for ball pythons for their health. There is anecdotal evidence stating they act better in a 12/12 cycle but you don't need to go out of your way to light your snake's enclosure.

That being said, if you want to do it get a cheap plug in timer and an LED strip bar and use that to light the enclosure. Home improvement places sell light bars that will work.

Ok cool good to know. I thought I had read somewhere that they need some sort of day/night cycle for proper health. Guess thats not the case or else rack systems wouldn't be very helpful

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    I keep them in a room near a window. It is not very close, but it is close enough that the sun helps heat the room in the day (saving my electric bill), and the light keeps the snake on a 24 hour cycle. I don't think it is critical or anything, but it does seem to help the snakes regulate their activity cycle. They mostly sleep all day, and they come out at dusk to explore their tubs and setup for an ambush on any unsuspecting rodents that may happen to get into their tubs.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 10-09-2017 at 09:04 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I've kept snakes without lights, I prefer to use lights because it makes the enclosure look nice and highlights the snakes when they are out. I use the 5.0 UVB bulbs from Exo Terra and the 5.0 Repti-sun bulbs from Zoomed. I prefer the zoomed ones because the color of the light seems more natural to me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jhill001 For This Useful Post:

Starscream (10-10-2017)

Thanks
    I use full spectrum light bars I her from mouser.com. completely unnecessary for them but the light makes their colors pop.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

Thanks

Re: Ambient Lighting for BP

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post

this, honestly. It's a thing I like about BPs vs other reptiles.