Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,002

2 members and 3,000 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Okay, what else can I do to increase humidity?

So Viagos tank has had low humidity, like, mid-30s. To combat this I've covered almost the entirety of the screen top in foil, put the water dish on the heat mat (and tried it under the CHE), provided a humid hide along with his two other hides, and sprayed the substrate (except in his hides, as I don't want to risk scale rot). Though itll spike to 50-65% for about 40 minutes when I spray, it quickly goes down again, and upon coming home from work tonight its sitting at 26%. Clearly, not good enough.

What else can I do to increase humidity? Everything else is spot on, it's just this one thing not cooperating. I'd prefer to keep him in a tank as he is now (a 24x18x12 exo terra) but if theres nothing else that can be done, I'm switching to a tub. I would love some nice looking tub setup pics to show me that tubs can be nice displays too!

Viago seems great health wise, hiding like a happy ball, drinking when he needs to. No signs of dehydration. But I have a feeling hes coming up on a shed and I want to correct this before it starts affecting him visibly.
    - Melissa - instagram @perkyjawa
    pastel het pied ball python - Viago
    1.0.1 crested geckos - Poe & Wicket
    2.0 fire-bellied toads - Malgus & Morgoth
    0.1 kitty cat - Wanda
    1.0 german shepherd - Sarge
    1.0 bichon shihtzu - Roscoe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Show us a pic of your set up.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Could you also remind us of what his substrate was?

Ball Pythons

1.0 Normal (Fírnen)

Wishlist
    Pokigron Suriname BCC
    Mexican Black Kingsnake

Thanks
    Sure thing, here it is:

Using zoomed digital temp gauges on each side, heatpad is controlled by a jumpstart thermostat and the che is on an adjustable fixture. Taking the picture reminded me I do have excavator clay underneath the layer of coco husk from when I had planned to keep a leopard gecko in here. Could that be drying it out?
    0.1 kitty cat - Wanda

Thanks

Re: Okay, what else can I do to increase humidity?

Covering half the screen with a damp rag would help, I put mine underneath the foil but my foil is wrapped around a piece of cut cardboard and separate from the actual screen so Idk of yours is different.

Another thing that works wonders it to dampen a dish rag and place it on top of the hot hide, or both hides of the humidity is low enough. I do this when mine go into sheds and it works wonders. Just take them out and rewet them every few days or so and spray them down when you spray the tank. It seems like you already have moss in with the substrate, if not add some, if so add more I mix in moss with the substrate as well as put almost like a little hedge of moss around all the edges but the front of the tank and spray them directly when I spray the substrate as well.

Idk about if the clay would dry things out so I'm not sure about that sorry Hope this helps!

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BluuWolf For This Useful Post:

honeybee (10-08-2017)

Thanks
    I was definitely thinking of adding more moss to bulk up the layer of coco husk and hopefully bump up humidity. I'll try the damp rag under the foil as well, thank you!

I'm planning on removing the excavator clay in the future anyway, as even if it isnt drying it out, it's also serving pretty much no purpose for me at the moment. The cold hide is formed with it, but I have an extra hide that I can replace that with.
    0.1 kitty cat - Wanda

Thanks

Sometimes when my 150 gallon tank gets too dry, I dump the water bowls (I have 3) and refill them. The heatbmat will make it evaporate the it'll be moist for a while.
    Like I said, I have 3 bowls. A big one on the cold side, a medium in the middle and a small one right on the heat mat. The heat will cause the small bowl to evaporate really quick because it's right on the mat. As long as that bowl has water in it, my humidity is good. I had a humidity issue as well because my tank is pretty tall with screens at the top. The bowl trick and once in a while just dumping the bowls, did the trick for me. My tank is 60longx25tallx16deep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paty For This Useful Post:

honeybee (10-08-2017)

Thanks
    So the addition of moss has helped quite a bit, I do have to mist it one or two times daily it seems to keep it at about 60% humidity, but for now, it's a solution. Might get a humidifier going down here to get ambient humidity in the room higher overall.

Viago is also in blue now, so it was good timing to fix up his humidity. Thanks everyone!
    0.1 kitty cat - Wanda

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
    So the addition of moss has helped quite a bit, I do have to mist it one or two times daily it seems to keep it at about 60% humidity, but for now, it's a solution. Might get a humidifier going down here to get ambient humidity in the room higher overall.

Viago is also in blue now, so it was good timing to fix up his humidity. Thanks everyone!
    That's good to hear! A humidifier in the room would help a lot lol I can't wait until I move so I can have my snakes in a separate room and do that. They are in my room right now and my boyfriend would not be happy with the higher humidity

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk

Thanks

I am having the same trouble, actually. Need to maintain a humidity in the high 70's for a 36x24x18 enclosure and it's proving more difficult than expected. Anyone use a misting system for like a BRB or a GTP?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast