Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,453

3 members and 3,450 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

RHP isssues, please help!

Hello, I built a 6 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot tank for my reticulated python and bought a ph-12 RHP from bob at pro products. I currently have it set up and running using my herp stat intro. The only problem is that it just doesn't seem to get hot enough. i started it off at like 60 then went up to 80 and so on, trying to get it to about 90 degrees for the hot spot. the problem is that it can't seem to get it any hotter than 80 Degrees no matter what i set the thermostate to. The herp stat is currently set at 115 but the probe only reads 80 and my heat gun says its 82. What do i do? Did bob recomend the wrong panel for the job? thanks for any help!
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Can you provide for people the placement of the probe from the herpstat? Is it on the surface, on the hot side / cold side, or is it suspended in air below the RHP or is it attached right under the surface of the RHP? What is the wattage of the RHP? Where are you measuring your temperatures at and are you using a thermometer or temp gun? RHPs, like CHEs radiate heat like a space heater but RHPs do not produce as hot radiant heat from their surface so it requires often a hotter surface temperature of the RHP to produce the desired temperature on the substrate or hide surface. For example, an RHP surface temperature of 115 degrees would not heat the substrate to 90 degrees from 2 feet above. So again, where is the probe at and where are you reading temperatures at?

Pro products uses heat loss / heat gain calculations to find the right size. As long as you provided accurate information, the size should be correct.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Re: RHP isssues, please help!

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Can you provide for people the placement of the probe from the herpstat? Is it on the surface, on the hot side / cold side, or is it suspended in air below the RHP or is it attached right under the surface of the RHP? What is the wattage of the RHP? Where are you measuring your temperatures at and are you using a thermometer or temp gun? RHPs, like CHEs radiate heat like a space heater but RHPs do not produce as hot radiant heat from their surface so it requires often a hotter surface temperature of the RHP to produce the desired temperature on the substrate or hide surface. For example, an RHP surface temperature of 115 degrees would not heat the substrate to 90 degrees from 2 feet above. So again, where is the probe at and where are you reading temperatures at?

Pro products uses heat loss / heat gain calculations to find the right size. As long as you provided accurate information, the size should be correct.
    The probe is laying two feet below the panel. i am getting my temp readings using the probe and using a heat temp gun. I cannot remember the wattage of the panel currently but i can check when i get home from school.
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I have heard people have great success placing the probe on the cold side. I hope someone who has done this can chime in.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

I guess that doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I mean i'm not worried about the cold side. I have my thermostat set to 115 but the hot sides only 80. I'm thinking the panel doesnt have the snuff to get it any hotter and im running it at its max power level.
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dylan815 View Post
    I guess that doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I mean i'm not worried about the cold side. I have my thermostat set to 115 but the hot sides only 80. I'm thinking the panel doesnt have the snuff to get it any hotter and im running it at its max power level.
    Probe placement can help in how the thermostat regulates the temp, but in your case I agree it's not the issue since in theory your RHP should be running full blast all the time with your settings. What % power is your Herpstat reading? Assuming your RHP is getting as hot as possible, you may want to call Bob and troubleshoot with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPGator View Post
    Probe placement can help in how the thermostat regulates the temp, but in your case I agree it's not the issue since in theory your RHP should be running full blast all the time with your settings. What % power is your Herpstat reading? Assuming your RHP is getting as hot as possible, you may want to call Bob and troubleshoot with him.

What percent power is my herpstat reading? i guess i don't understand what your asking/how to check that. I will be home in about an hour for lunch and can check the "power %"? sorry, this is my first RHP and ive always just used the herp stats with UTH. Thanks for your help.
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated

Thanks

What percent power is my herpstat reading? i guess i don't understand what your asking/how to check that. I will be home in about an hour for lunch and can check the "power %"? sorry, this is my first RHP and ive always just used the herp stats with UTH. Thanks for your help.
    I don't have a Herpstat Intro, but based on the instructions it seems you can display the power use with the "-" button to cycle through the displays.

Thanks

Hmmm. I just went through every menu on the darn thing. No where to adjust the power level on t :-/

1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated

Thanks

Hmmm. I just went through every menu on the darn thing. No where to adjust the power level on t :-/

Just hit the "-" to change the display. You don't want to go through the menu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast