Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,249

1 members and 3,248 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Thanks

Question Head Rubbing / Stress / New Habitat set up?

I'm a new ball python owner and I've noticed that my young 4 mo old ball python has began rubbing her head. I haven't noticed any symptoms of URI or shedding, which is making me wonder if may be due to stress. Her set up isn't optimal at this point in time, and I'm looking to get a few upgrades in hopes that she will be more comfortable.

She's currently being kept in a 12 quart plastic bin with 4 clasps. I use paper towel as the substrate, and I have a small size water bowl ( the humidity in my state is usually pretty high throughout the year so I try not to go overboard by having a water dish too large ) and a single medium sized hide. I'm currently using an exo-terra under tank heater on one side of the tub ( though it is very small, I wonder if I should upgrade to a larger heating pad? or if there may be better options for heating? )

I don't currently have a decent thermometer, hygrometer or thermostat controller, so recommendations for these items would be highly appreciated. ( I have to keep on a budget, so I really don't want to spend money on something that just isn't going to provide what I need )

I keep her bin inside of a closet, so during the day I open it up and let some light in, and at night it's dark and relatively quiet so she is undisturbed for most of the day.

I'm hoping that after some adjustments to her habitat, she'll be less stressed and will stop her head rubbing.

( Please note that if I do notice any signs of URI or mites that I will take her to the vet as soon as possible, but as of today I haven't noticed anything besides the head rubbing. Also note, I tend to handle her for a few minutes every day, up until the head rubbing, so I would have noticed if she had developed any other strange or unusual symptoms up until yesterday. If you think the head rubbing might be a sign of something other than stress, URI or mites, then please inform me! I'm just looking for advice from experienced BP owners. )
    Last edited by Stellary; 10-03-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks
    Another thing I had to mention was that her appetite seems normal. She's still eating mice ( live ) like a champ.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Get a thermostat ASAP, you could be slowly cooking her. Whatever you can afford that has a digital thermostat and probe, just get something!
    oh, and get an infrared temperature gun, to measure the temps, as some thermostat/heat pad setups will be "off" in their calibration and it is better to measure the surface temps yourself with the thermometer gun
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 10-04-2017 at 01:50 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Kira (10-04-2017),MissterDog (10-04-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Head Rubbing / Stress / New Habitat set up?

Quote Originally Posted by Stellary View Post

I don't currently have a decent thermometer, hygrometer or thermostat controller, so recommendations for these items would be highly appreciated. ( I have to keep on a budget, so I really don't want to spend money on something that just isn't going to provide what I need )
    Rubbing against the side of an enclosure or "wall surfing" are pretty classic signs of stress of discontent in a ball python. You issue is likely one or both of the following:

(1) Per Godzilla78, get a thermostat (and ideally a temperature gun) asap. You could be overheating your snake. A cheap, but ETL certified thermostat can be found here, or you can buy a herpstat which are often regarded as the "best".

(2) Your cage may be insufficiently cluttered for a young snake; adding more "clutter" may help. This can be done in the form of fake plants, additional hides, or simply wadding up paper towels an adding them in.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regius_049 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    You have a ball in substandard conditions and why if I may ask do you keep it in a closet (feel free to not answer that if it is personal but it may help to better understand your situation and why you are keeping a ball in substandard conditions).

There are both care guides and tub setup guides you should read to gain a better understanding of the minimum steps you need to take to keep your ball healthy and alive. I mean no judgement against you but if you can't provide those minimums, the ownership of this snake might be something to reevaluate. You will unfortunately need to invest some money in the care of this animal or you risk losing it or it spiraling out of your ability to care for it.

Fro starters, this is the best low cost thermostat you can buy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NZZG3S

This is a wonderful low cost humidity and temperature gauge that will allow you to view your conditions without having to open the enclosure to view the readings

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M252EWA

Two hides will help to have it calm down once you get your temperatures under control.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

Thanks

@SDA I have cats, I keep her in the closet because it keeps the cats from messing with her or her tub and it also keeps a very good ambient temperature. On top of that, I also have a very small bedroom. The closet itself also has several shelves installed that perfectly fit the size of her tub, so I though it'd be a great place to put her. I ran the cords for her UTH into the closet and I plan to modify the closet itself to be perfect for housing multiple ball pythons ( in future projects, right now all I care about is taking care of this one girl I have )

And anyway, as I stated, this is my first ball python and I just got her less than a month ago. It's not like I chose to keep her in substandard conditions, I'm still learning on what is best for her. With advice from people that are willing to help, I can create a better habitat for her. I have a payday on Friday, so thats why I asked, cause I'll have the money to get her a better setup than this temporary one.
    Last edited by Stellary; 10-04-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks
    Another question I had is should I worry about upgrading the size of her UTH if I'm worried about the ambient heat? The one she has covers a little over a quarter of the size of the tub itself.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stellary View Post
    Another question I had is should I worry about upgrading the size of her UTH if I'm worried about the ambient heat? The one she has covers a little over a quarter of the size of the tub itself.
    Although I'm curious why you didn't make sure you had everything set up and optimal for your bp before you got her, I think it's good you're doing your best to try and correct things asap.

Are you worried about ambient temps as in it's not high enough? A UTH will not provide ambient temps, they only effect your surface temps/hot spot. I think before you need to worry about upgrading you UTH size you need to get it regulated on a thermostat asap, so let that be your first priority next purchase. Everyone else already linked you to the best options for your budget so wishing you luck on everything!
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Kira (10-04-2017)