Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,236

0 members and 3,236 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Punkin's hatch date????

Got an email from Punkin's previous owner this morning. She confirmed that she received Punkin as a present on Christmas in December 2003 and was told at that time that the snake was approximately 3 months of age.

So that would put Punkin's probable hatch date around the first of October 2003. This puts Punkin almost 6 months older than I have been thinking....not 18 months but rather only a month away from age 2.

Isn't it a bit odd for eggs to hatch in October?

I wish I knew what size Punkin should be if she's a she or if he's a he? Punky's last length measurement last week was about 30 inches. I can't measure girth right now as Punky is actively shedding (yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!).

Darn it we were so hoping Punky was younger than we thought not this much older. Baby is only 6.5 months old and Punky's really not all that much bigger though seems to be growing faster and is a little bit heavier. We had hoped they weren't as far apart in age as they apparently are. Poor Punky, I don't know why but I feel so darned mad right now that this snake was underfed for so very long!

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Punkin's hatch date????

well i can tell you that if he is an 03 and only 30 inches hes a most likely a male, but the best way to check is to have her probed.and sometimes BP's have clutches year round so thats a possibility that he was hatched in october.
    -marshall

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mr~python
    well i can tell you that if he is an 03 and only 30 inches hes a most likely a male
    huh?

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Just a quick update...Mr or Ms Punky just completed beautiful, unassisted shed #2 with us

First shed was 15 days after we got Punky and this one was exactly one month later. Did a quick set of measurements on Punky....length is about 33 inches, girth circumference at the thickest part (empty) is about 5 inches....sorry still no weight available.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

arent the males smaller?
    -marshall

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mr~python
    arent the males smaller?
    somtimes, but not always ... and usually not when they are that young.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

males are generally smaller than females but that isn't a good judge of whether a young snake is male or female. 33 inches is not neccessarily bad for an 03, it really depends more on his/her actual weight. i have a late 04 female that is twice the weight of an 03 female that i have but the 03 is in no way unhealthy. i have had the 04 since she was about 4 weeks old and have fed her good sized meals once a week. the breeder that had the 03 until recently when i acquired her fed her good sized meals but less often--every 2 weeks or so. it is his theory that if you grow females up slower they will become larger snakes in the long run and lay more eggs per clutch. i have no idea if that is true or not but i definitely would not consider this girl unhealthy or underfed. i think that a lot of people are very misinformed about the nutritional needs of their bps and have either very under or very over fed snakes.
    - Emily

Thanks

Well whichever Punky is male or female, it's grown 6 inches in 6 weeks and feels a heck of a lot heavier and much stronger in our hands. Also a hugely improved strike and coil response. I know I'm just being a worry wort about Punkin, it'll pass in time (right after I drive ya all nuts of course LOL)

It's the OCD again isn't it Adam? I'll just go sit with Robin over on the OCD Couch

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

you should look at it this way too--if punkin is an 03 and female then she is that much closer to being ready to breed. the way she is eating for you she ought to fill out in no time and soon you'll have a nice plump girl to go with your new pastel.
    - Emily

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

posted by adam wysocki somtimes, but not always ... and usually not when they are that young.

thats sounds right my bad, thx for correcting me.
    -marshall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast