Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,361

1 members and 3,360 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Thanks

Hello!

Hello! I don't have a ball python yet, but I plan to get one soon (aiming for November), so I've decided to join these forums to learn more about them and prepare. Won't be my first snake though, I've had a corn snake for three years, named Lily. She helped me get my feet wet into caring for herps. I do know BPs can be a bit more challenging though.

Here's a pic of Lily
    http://68.media.tumblr.com/6f7a1e288...baso1_1280.jpg

As for a morph I'm looking into, I'll only have maybe a $250 budget max, so maybe an albino or pastel of some kind. I seem to be drawn to the yellow-colors BPs, since BPs don't come in the other colors I like (it is what it is though). I'm buying more for their temperament anyways. I wanted a more chill snake that'll hang out, unlike my corn who generally won't sit still for more than five minutes I will be avoiding the "wobble" morphs like Spider too. It's a personal decision after reading the debates. I've seen vids of wobbling BPs though, and my heart aches for them, and i want to avoid that. There's lots of non-wobble risk morphs to choose from anyways. Besides albino, been looking at various types of enchi and mojave. I've heard pinstripes don't wobble either, and look similar to spider too. Piebald also looks cool, but will probably be outside of my price range. Never thought I'd be buying a snake that was as expensive as a dog.

Anyways, since I'm located in NE Ohio, I'll be going to the Steel City Reptile Expo in Pittsburgh, PA first, and if I don't find anything there, there's a smaller show up in the Cleveland area as well. It's also a bit of a haul, but there's one in Columbus as well. Hopefully between all that, I'll find "the one".

Anyways, I look forward to hanging out with everyone on here, and hope to learn a lot so I can give my future BP a good home.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    My first snake was a "normal", I only obtained morph colors when I decided to collect and breed. Normals are the most beautiful ball pythons for the price! A huge variety of shades and patterns, and just as healthy and fun as any other morph.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Welcome! If you haven't already have you looked at morph market? It's a great place to check out morphs and you can filter by location and price! Since you like yellow morphs, have you thought about bananas?
    Last edited by MissterDog; 09-29-2017 at 11:28 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-01-2017)

Thanks

Re: Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    My first snake was a "normal", I only obtained morph colors when I decided to collect and breed. Normals are the most beautiful ball pythons for the price! A huge variety of shades and patterns, and just as healthy and fun as any other morph.
    I'm not ruling out a normal either, but usually once my mind is made up on a color, it's usually what I go for. Like, when I went for a corn snake, I was pretty sure I wanted an Okeetee, and sure enough, it's what I bought. Although, if I end up falling in love with a normal that gives me the "take me home" eyes, I may be torn, lol. After dealing with corns and their bright colors though, normal BPs just seems so...drab, by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Welcome! If you haven't already have you looked at morph market? It's a great place to check out morphs and you can filter by location and price! Since you like yellow morphs, have you thought about bananas?
    I've been looking at that site, yes. It's been great for helping me get an idea on the price ranges. I have seen bananas too! I forgot to list them earlier. Not sure if I'm too keen on the black specks they get as the get older though. Granted, if I fall for one for whatever reason, I wouldn't count it out, and they are cheaper than the albinos for sure. I do think I have my heart set on an albino though, if I go for a yellow morph. I just adore that yellow/white contrast. I've always loved it on the bigger python species too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hikari For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (09-30-2017)

Thanks
    Oooh, I have just run across a morph called "Firefly"...if i can't get an albino, that'd be a nice runner-up...I kinda dig the bright yellow with the dark contrast too.
    Last edited by Hikari; 09-30-2017 at 02:08 AM.

Thanks
    Check out bumblebee too...
    Tbh your better off going to a store and holding a load, many have different temperaments, my pastel is a sweetheart, very confident and placid with it, also a great feeder. If you get a shy snake feeding can be very draining when they go off food for a few months... Definitely need to take that into account when buying a snake rather than just image, Everytime I open his Viv he comes over and sticks his head out, I actually think he enjoys being handled.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Justin83 View Post
    Check out bumblebee too...
    Tbh your better off going to a store and holding a load, many have different temperaments, my pastel is a sweetheart, very confident and placid with it, also a great feeder. If you get a shy snake feeding can be very draining when they go off food for a few months... Definitely need to take that into account when buying a snake rather than just image, Everytime I open his Viv he comes over and sticks his head out, I actually think he enjoys being handled.
    Bumblebee won't work for the OP. The OP wants to avoid the spider gene

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Justin83 View Post
    Check out bumblebee too...Tbh your better off going to a store and holding a load, many have different temperaments, my pastel is a sweetheart, very confident and placid with it, also a great feeder. If you get a shy snake feeding can be very draining when they go off food for a few months... Definitely need to take that into account when buying a snake rather than just image, Everytime I open his Viv he comes over and sticks his head out, I actually think he enjoys being handled.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Bumblebee won't work for the OP. The OP wants to avoid the spider gene
    Last edited by Hikari; 10-01-2017 at 01:12 AM.

Thanks

I had a whole post written out for the replies and the site ate it when I tried to upload x_x

Long story short, yeah, avoiding spider, along with a somewhat long list of other morphs with known issues. Pinstripe is an acceptable substitute to me for anything I want with thin stripes. Pretty sure I'll be looking into a yellow morph. If not albino, then a Pastel/Superpastel combo. The brighter the yellow, the better!

Also, going to a different show than originally planned. Still in Pittsburgh, but the Sunday of that week instead of the later Saturday. Same breeders will be at both shows, so I figured why not? But ETA for getting my new snek friend looks to be Nov. 5th, barring not finding what I'm looking for.

Thanks
    Albinos are a great choice if you want bright yellow. I recommend high contrast albinos if you can find one. They're gorgeous.
    This is my albino girl and I love her so much.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast