Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,313

0 members and 3,313 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Nice videos on a DIY PVC cage idea

Sort of part 2 (added info on what he finished it with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt_bP4q-hrQ
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    The screws are used to initially assemble it, make sure all edges are flush and straight. I then apply the solvent to the enclosure, after which the screws could be removed, but leaving them in doesn't hurt anything, and does provide some structural strength.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randall L Turner Jr For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-28-2017),imhumpty (09-28-2017)

Thanks

Re: DIY Snake Terrarium: Using Cellular PVC sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Nice videos on a DIY PVC cage idea

Sort of part 2 (added info on what he finished it with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt_bP4q-hrQ
    For what he did with the heat tape could the same thing be used for a UTH then having a title on top of it with a probe connected to a thermostat controlling the heat getting to high?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Randall L Turner Jr View Post
    The screws are used to initially assemble it, make sure all edges are flush and straight. I then apply the solvent to the enclosure, after which the screws could be removed, but leaving them in doesn't hurt anything, and does provide some structural strength.
    Is there a different brand for the solvent I see that Amazon has the Scigrip 3 but does Oatey have an equivalent of this? Or would it be heavy duty PVC cement

Thanks
    I've never used the pvc cement from hardware stores before on enclosures. I know of a few people who have used it with success, but the fact it is dyed and requires application to the points that are being glued together is why I avoided using it. More risk of getting parts out of alignment after the glue is on and I start assembly. Scigrip is the only water thin solvent I know of (they purchased Weldon which is what I used before.)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Randall L Turner Jr For This Useful Post:

imhumpty (09-28-2017)

Thanks

I've never used the pvc cement from hardware stores before on enclosures. I know of a few people who have used it with success, but the fact it is dyed and requires application to the points that are being glued together is why I avoided using it. More risk of getting parts out of alignment after the glue is on and I start assembly. Scigrip is the only water thin solvent I know of (they purchased Weldon which is what I used before.)
    Okay that's fine what about using a UTH inside the tank and having bathroom tile on top of it and silicone? I've never used heat tape.

Or using the UTH under the tank as intended would it get to the right temp like that?

Thanks
    I use heat tape underneath my enclosures. I routered a 1/4" wide groove half way from back to front where I wanted to put the heat tape, put the probe in the routered groove, tape the heat tape to the bottom and walla. I also use radiant heat panels in some enclosures (my preferred way to heat) and will eventually have all of them with RHP.

Thanks

I use heat tape underneath my enclosures. I routered a 1/4" wide groove half way from back to front where I wanted to put the heat tape, put the probe in the routered groove, tape the heat tape to the bottom and walla. I also use radiant heat panels in some enclosures (my preferred way to heat) and will eventually have all of them with RHP.
    https://youtu.be/Qt_bP4q-hrQ

In the video at 5:20 he shows he uses heat tape I would hope or try to use a UTH and the same method using the tile but where he said he sanded it down to slide the tape in i thought if I made a big enough opening if I needed to slide the UTH in and out and for the tile have it risen up a bit so it would slide out with ease if I had to replace it.

Of course using a probe connected to a thermostat to make sure it doesn't get above the recommended heat.

I know it's not really ideal what I'm thinking but it's just a thought.

Thanks
    Why are you wanting to get the heat tape in the enclosure? The tape will heat the material up and transfer the heat into the inside surface well, while avoiding putting the heat tape/pad at risk of being exposed to moisture. You can still put tiles inside over the hot spot if you'd like.

Thanks

Why are you wanting to get the heat tape in the enclosure? The tape will heat the material up and transfer the heat into the inside surface well, while avoiding putting the heat tape/pad at risk of being exposed to moisture. You can still put tiles inside over the hot spot if you'd like.
    My question is then will the heat transfer from under the tank into the inside using the PVC because if so then I wouldn't need to use tile on the inside.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast