Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,383

3 members and 3,380 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: New Rescue. Normie or no?

Helped with the bad shed tonight. Grabbed some more pictures in case they help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Forgot about these. Is that pixelated or does that refer to something more distinct?

It got a little nippy there for a while and I need to get back studying so I don't have time to wait for it to let go if it bit and held on... So I threw on some gloves haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cmccu5 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-21-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Whether genetic or not, that is one BEAUTIFUL snake.

I own morphs. But I carefully selected the ones whose looks I will like throughout their lives. Many morphs start out crazy cool looking in hatchlings, and then they fade/brown out and change. Many of them still look quite cool, though, just not like they did as hatchlings.

"Normals" start pretty and they stay pretty. And I prefer their looks over some morphs.

That is the Beauty with Ball Pythons though, SUCH a huge selection, there is something for everybody But the "wild type" in itself is gorgeous and always will be, too.

Good job on getting the shed off. Now just adjust the habitat a bit and then let that snake recover and relax real well, before attempting to feed. In the future, when its defensive, just cup your free hand over on top of the snake, slightly (and super gently of course) pushing down until the snake is tight against both hands (GENTLY). It seems to snap them out of the "I'm gonna get ya and I'm gonna kill ya" mode. After that they usually go right back to being calm and exploring. But it is very important that you get it eating well before you do any "behavior modifications", lol..

You want to make sure that this behavior doesn't just stem from all that stress and fear. Either way, the gentle "cupping" of the snake is not and should not be a aggressive or "disciplinary" action, just a gentle "back down and calm down". All your movements around the snake should always be direct and deliberate, yet gentle. No jerking, nervous or hesitant movement.

hope that helps a little
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-24-2017),distaff (09-23-2017),Godzilla78 (09-21-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Nice snake, love the color fades on the belly. That is a good idea with the gloves. I have two young nippy toddlers to attend to these days and I think gloves and careful gentleness might be a good stepping stone to the next phase of tameness.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Zina, excellent advice, thank you for the tips, I am going to try this stuff with my babies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Zina, excellent advice, thank you for the tips, I am going to try this stuff with my babies.
    I do this with my brand new hatchlings, some of which can be REALLY defensive. (and one is simply a stinker). All have already calmed down and I only handle them for cleaning the tub and a couple picture sessions.

If they look "primed" or not, I always approach with a flat hand from up above them. Not really from "in front of them". That does not give them a target to tag. Then I lower my flat hand gently on top of them, slightly touching their whole body and head downwards. I then use that hand to pick them up no problem. If they "s" up again in hand (which only one did) I use the other hand to do the same thing again. Come from up above with flat hand, gently pushing that angry head down and putting SLIGHT pressure onto the body, then lifting the hand again. And they are calm and sweet.

I can't stress enough though, that this is NOT a aggressive motion. Not to scare them or punish them. It just seems to snap them out of that mode and calms them down. Never use it angry, never move quick or harsh.

I don't like gloves with the small ones, because I can't really feel them. I like to feel if they tense up or move and I want to feel how much pressure I'm using in holding them. But yours aren't as little, so if you want to use gloves until you are more comfortable, go ahead. Try to find the ones that are quite soft and not so thick. Like the "rose bush trimming" gloves out of soft leather, they are more then enough protection...

If you feel uncomfortable using your hand to do the "touch" when first getting them out, or you can't really approach from above easily, you can use a paper towel roll with a bit of paper still on it, so its skinny, but still soft. Gently push that head down, then take them out. Its more about the touch, then a push. Only do this if they seem tense and ready to strike.

Only do any of that after they are well established eaters, so you know they aren't just acting out from stress..
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

cmccu5 (09-22-2017),Craiga 01453 (09-24-2017),distaff (09-23-2017),Godzilla78 (09-22-2017)

Thanks

My guess is that a normal with a reduced pattern.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    It looks very normal to me. Bright patterned normals with reduced pattern overall are very pretty.

I would lay money it's a male, since females are generally more, although with it being a normal, it's still possible you got a female.

Once it's all settled in to a proper habitat and feeding, you can get it sexed and find out 100%.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Whether genetic or not, that is one BEAUTIFUL snake.

I own morphs. But I carefully selected the ones whose looks I will like throughout their lives. Many morphs start out crazy cool looking in hatchlings, and then they fade/brown out and change. Many of them still look quite cool, though, just not like they did as hatchlings.

"Normals" start pretty and they stay pretty. And I prefer their looks over some morphs.

That is the Beauty with Ball Pythons though, SUCH a huge selection, there is something for everybody But the "wild type" in itself is gorgeous and always will be, too.

Good job on getting the shed off. Now just adjust the habitat a bit and then let that snake recover and relax real well, before attempting to feed. In the future, when its defensive, just cup your free hand over on top of the snake, slightly (and super gently of course) pushing down until the snake is tight against both hands (GENTLY). It seems to snap them out of the "I'm gonna get ya and I'm gonna kill ya" mode. After that they usually go right back to being calm and exploring. But it is very important that you get it eating well before you do any "behavior modifications", lol..

You want to make sure that this behavior doesn't just stem from all that stress and fear. Either way, the gentle "cupping" of the snake is not and should not be a aggressive or "disciplinary" action, just a gentle "back down and calm down". All your movements around the snake should always be direct and deliberate, yet gentle. No jerking, nervous or hesitant movement.

hope that helps a little
    Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    I do this with my brand new hatchlings, some of which can be REALLY defensive. (and one is simply a stinker). All have already calmed down and I only handle them for cleaning the tub and a couple picture sessions.

If they look "primed" or not, I always approach with a flat hand from up above them. Not really from "in front of them". That does not give them a target to tag. Then I lower my flat hand gently on top of them, slightly touching their whole body and head downwards. I then use that hand to pick them up no problem. If they "s" up again in hand (which only one did) I use the other hand to do the same thing again. Come from up above with flat hand, gently pushing that angry head down and putting SLIGHT pressure onto the body, then lifting the hand again. And they are calm and sweet.

I can't stress enough though, that this is NOT a aggressive motion. Not to scare them or punish them. It just seems to snap them out of that mode and calms them down. Never use it angry, never move quick or harsh.

I don't like gloves with the small ones, because I can't really feel them. I like to feel if they tense up or move and I want to feel how much pressure I'm using in holding them. But yours aren't as little, so if you want to use gloves until you are more comfortable, go ahead. Try to find the ones that are quite soft and not so thick. Like the "rose bush trimming" gloves out of soft leather, they are more then enough protection...

If you feel uncomfortable using your hand to do the "touch" when first getting them out, or you can't really approach from above easily, you can use a paper towel roll with a bit of paper still on it, so its skinny, but still soft. Gently push that head down, then take them out. Its more about the touch, then a push. Only do this if they seem tense and ready to strike.

Only do any of that after they are well established eaters, so you know they aren't just acting out from stress..

Good stuff, Zina10. Thanks for sharing. As much as I hate seeing summer come to an end (that means winter weather in New England isn't too far off), it's good to see you around the forum more

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

zina10 (09-24-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Good stuff, Zina10. Thanks for sharing. As much as I hate seeing summer come to an end (that means winter weather in New England isn't too far off), it's good to see you around the forum more

Thank you
    Life has slowed down just a bit here, and I enjoy popping into the forum throughout the day..
    Zina

15. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-24-2017)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast