Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,294

3 members and 3,291 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Confused on how to begin

I have a normal male baby ball currently.

Can someone tell me what Balls(s) I would need to buy in order to be able to breed a gaurantee morph of whatever kind or a 100%het of said morph?

If this doesn't make sense I just want to know what to buy to raise up a couple of snakes to breed a morph.

I appreciate your patience I am new at this.

Phillip

Thanks

Re: Confused on how to begin

In order to get a morph on your FIRST breeding with the female to go with your current male, you would need a dominant or co-dominant morph to go with him. Examples would be: Spiders, Calico, Pastel, Mojave, and I'm sure many others that I can't think of off the top of my head
    Ken

Thanks

As ddbjdealer said, co-dom/dom guarantees you visually diffrent hets offsprings. But if morph is what you want then buying certain morphs already earns you a morph. With some co-dominant/dominant types, you end up getting 2 visually different morphs because both co-dominant and dominant are visually diffrent from one to another. They are expensive tho and if money is not an issue than you ought to get a co-dominant types.

However, some people, like me, do not have the financial luxury so we ought to start from recessive types' hets, which is cheaper and time is not really an issue. I enjoy the learning experience and to me, all the morphs (both recessive and co-dominant), in fact even the normals, are beautiful and unique in their own ways. There are many ways, some people will start with normal females and work their way with hets or co/dom types. It all depends on your budget and taste.

The most important thing when dealing with recessive type hets is that you know and trust the person/shop that you are buying from. Scamming happens quite often and its best you find the right breeder before spending big dollars.

Also, there are other matters that you should also take notice. Things like husbandary issues like racks, uth, thermostat, substrates, incubators, food supplies, etc. I suggest you get The Ball Python Manual along with available Breeding dvds. Breeding cost alot of $$, time and effort.
    Last edited by kraniumz; 08-29-2005 at 05:27 AM.

Thanks

My goal is to start breeding in about 2-3 years form now. I want to raise a suitable female and I expect I will probably add to my collection over the course of the 2-3 years as my experience grows. I have a normal male right now and would like to make use of him in breeding somehow, but I am only really interested in breeding morphs.

I am thinking that it would be interesting and a fun learning experience ot go with a 100%het female.

Any thoughts on going 100%het female with my normal male to get eventual morphs?

Money is not really a concern - more prooving to myself I can do this effectivley before shelling out $xxxx,xx for a homo morph.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Phillip

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Rut Roh! He's been bitten by the bug!!!!! And how long have you had your new one? LOL

I'm only laughing, because I've been bitten by the bug too, and am trying to figure out what I want to do next, and I've just had Kashmire since July!

Anyway, I sent you a private e-mail!

Thanks

Just a quick question Phillip. Where did you get your current snake and who sexed it? Quite honestly if it's not from a really reputable source I'd spend the bucks (our vet charges around $20 for sexing I think) and get it re-sexed so you know for sure what you have is a male, before you invest in a future mate for it.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~